My wife and I thought we'd try this place as an alternative to the Quay Grand Suites (QGS), our usual Sydney haunt. Our sleep is always most important when we travel. We were looking for a comfortable king bed with down pillows (QGS has tiny pillows with some sort of cheap stuffing inside - I sometimes have trouble getting comfortable since I have a problematic neck). Pillows here were indeed large and down feathered and the bed was firm but reasonably comfortable. Actually, I'm sure it was much more comfortable when they first bought it but now there are definite "body" indentations through many years of people sleeping in them. This could be seen even when the bed is made up. While relatively comfortable, the bed was not as "plush" as I would have hoped, probably due to the age.
I actually quite like the slightly "aged" look of the hotel's furnishings - it looks more old world charm - but there is nothing charming about a very used mattress. I hear they will be renovating next year (2013) after being bought by Langham.
- Bedrooms are large
- Service is fast, efficient and friendly
- In-room dining meals were good
- rooms relatively quiet despite non-glazed windows (street noises not enough to wake light sleepers like us)
- surprisingly good value - we only paid $40 a night more than 3-4 star hotels in 2nd tier city Newcastle. Also cheaper than QGS.
- large double sink bathroom with large bathtub
- no problems getting taxis
- mattresses very old
- bathroom products not 5 star quality - there is no shower gel, it's an old fashioned soap.
- location very convenient to The Rocks, but not to much else. George St Mall and QVB can be walked in 20-25min.
- breakfast buffet quite average in terms of quality and variety (al a carte also available)
- air-con controls allows u to increase or decrease but no temperature gauge.
Overall, likely to stay again - my wife really likes the service and the large rooms. However, once they renovate it will likely be even better. I just hope they don't jack up prices too much to recoup the cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Join us at Sydney's most exclusive harbourside address, The Langham, Sydney. From stunning Western Harbour facing views to our Historic Rocks district location, The Langham, Sydney is truly Sydney’s most exclusive address. Voted one of the Top 100 Hotels in the World; this luxurious property features a Sotheby’s artwork collection and the largest rooms in the city. Every room is a haven of plush, bespoke furnishings amidst soft panelled walls and high ceilings. All rooms and suites feature opening windows, Juliette balconies and/or signature terraces, with the focus remaining on a grand residence experience for guests. Guests are treated to Western Harbour views across White Bay or a stunning city outlook across Sydney. Nestled in the quaint cobble stoned streets hidden in the city, we are located amongst a tranquil yet convenient proximity to some of the city’s most quintessential experiences. Our global partner, Wedgwood, joins us for Afternoon Tea hosted in opulent Palm Court. Our iconic Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood features hand-curated gateaux, macarons and savoury delights designed by our in-house Patissier. Channelling pure sophistication, indulge in harbourside views, light drenched spaces and ambience jazz playing. As the sun sets over Palm Court Bar, jazz and mixology come together to create a gastronomical tasting experience like no other. The hotel is also host to Sydney dining hotspot "Bistro Remy" led by classically French-trained Executive Chef, Dave Whitting. The upscale, neighbourhood bistro contrasts classic technique with modern interpretation, serving reinvented bistro classics. Expect signature dishes such as Twice Cooked Soufflé, Black Ash Tortellini, Pink Snapper Cerviche right through Grainge Angus Beef with Béarnaise Sauce and Frites, Roast Pork with Apple and Duck Confit, all created with love, for a neighbourhood feel. For an indulgent experience into relaxation, join our award winning day spa with rejuvenating treatments & techno-gym facilities. Of course, this includes a few laps on our star-dappled underground pool amongst sandstone pavements for the ultimate spa stay. The Day Spa at The Langham, Sydney offers relaxation and luxury at the highest level when it comes to personal escape. Featuring facials, massages advanced skin care from German beauty pioneers, BABOR, exclusive Blue Mountains based IKOU and new partner, Aromatherapy Associates. The Langham, Sydney's renowned 20m indoor pool, voted Sydney's #1 hotel pool experience, features a star-dappled sky ceiling, meaning guests can swim under the stars, any time of the day or night. Modern Luxury and attention to detail, like Sydney has never experienced. Please, join us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travelocity, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Langham, Sydney reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Observatory Hotel Sydney