“Very nice hotel in a quieter part of Sydney” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Sydney

The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #12 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
San Diego, California
“Very nice hotel in a quieter part of Sydney”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you want to stay at a very nice property that is slightly away from the main shopping areas or just a 10 minute walk or so from the Rocks, Darling Harbor and Circular Quay, then this maybe for you. It has a very old world hotel feel to it, very nice lobby and restaurant area with attentive service.

The room I had was big, nice size bathroom, entry corridor and largish bedroom. The fixtures and fittings in the room could do with some updating and if they did so it would earn the extra star from me.

The pool is excellent - dark with tiny lights in the ceiling which is kind of neat.

I found the service very good and the location worked for me - so overall a very nice stay (was there for a week for business).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Johngie,

Thank you for your review of The Langham, Sydney.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the charm of the hotel and our location. We think this wonderful location is quite special and gives our guests a residential experience of Sydney.

We do plan do reinvest into the hotel and look forward to reviewing your extra star in the future.

Yours sincerly,
Sonia Lefevre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Arnold, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Our first stop on a whirlwind September 2012 tour of Australia, the Langham was the perfect place to recover from the 20+ hour trip from the USA. We booked the hotel as the Orient Express property, the Observatory; but were not disappointed with the new ownership. A dip in the subterranian pool was totally relaxing. Service was impeccable. It was an easy walk to the "Rocks" and its sights, restaurants, and fun. By not being in the hub-bub of downtown, it felt like being on a quiet residential street at home in Sydney. But close enough to get to all the "must sees". Views of both the Observatory and the water, gorgeous! This will be our hotel of choice when we return to Sydney.

Room Tip: We were water "view", not "front"; gave us views of both the water and Observato...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Janet,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Langham, Sydney. What a great start to your Australian holiday. I hope that the remainder of your visit to this beautiful country was just as enjoyable.

We will be sure to share your great experiences with our team. We look forward to welcoming back on your return to Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent 1 night at this hotel as a special treat for a 60th birthday. A lovely hotel, the staff were all well trained & very pleasant. Location was great as it was an easy walk down to the Rocks for a great dinner overlooking the harbour. I bought the accomodation on Wotif so the rate was very good & included a cotinental breakfast & parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review of The Langham, Sydney.

It is always a delight to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. We will be sure to share your comments with our team.

Wishing you a delightful day.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

The stay at the Langham Sydney, was fantastic. I brought the family to Sydney for a bit of weekend R & R, and were blown away by the property, its staff and facilities. The look on my 11 year old daughters face when she saw the pool was magic.
Great rooms, outstanding service.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for classic old school hotel experiences.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for posting your review of The Langham, Sydney on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you were "blown away" with your experience at our hotel. Your 11 year old daughter sounds like an astute traveller and knows a fabulous pool when she see's one.

If you didn't have the chance to experience our Tiffin afternoon tea service this time, you must on your return. It is another wonderful tradition of this fine hotel and Langham hotels worldwide.

Yours sincerly,
Bangalow, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was with great delight that I learnt that The Observatory Hotel in Kent Street Sydney had been bought by the Langham Group!

I regularly stay at the Langham hotel in Hong Kong and was thrilled that I could now do the same in Sydney. Everytime I stay at the Langham I am welcomed back with a firendly personal sincerity that I rarely experience in other hotels. The Langham pride themselves on personal service and attention to detail and I'm really pleased to say that Langham Sydney was no exception. I would highly recommend it and will stay there again when I return to Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nicolettevw,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at The Langham, Sydney.

Like you, we are absolutely delighted to have purchased this fabulous hotel recently and bring Langham to this wonderful city.

I myself have recently moved from The Langham, Hong Kong in Tsim Sha Tsui to lead the team here in Sydney and enjoy receiving comments that we have cemented this iconic hotel with our genuine and friendly Langham hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I loved this hotel. The room and bathroom were nice and we had a lovely balcony overlooking Kent Street. The staff in Reception were welcoming and the restaurant staff at breakfast and the bar were excellent.
I hadn't explored that area of Sydney before and found it to be a very interesting neighbourhood.
We plan to return on our next visit to Sydney.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bezzacct,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We agree that the location of our hotel is quite charming and gives you a different experience of the city. The hotel was build to resemble 19th century Australian architecure and a grand colonial mansion. It blends beautifully into this historic Rocks district.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Sydney on your next visit to Sydney.

Vaucluse, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked the Langham because we were to attend a function at Circular Quay and also because I had always wanted to stay there when it was still the Observatory Hotel. Had I realised how many steps there are to conquer between the hotel and the Quay I might have chosen differently. Check-in doesn't start until 3 pm, which I consider rather late. I arrived at 3.05 pm and was processed very quickly. To my surprise they requested to copy my photo ID. Then I was informed that my room was not quite ready, offered a cup of coffee and left to contemplate the five Sidney Nolan paintings in the lobby for half an hour. At last I was escorted to my room which was not quite as big as I had expected given that the room size was advertised as 49 square metres. No doubt this was due to the bathroom being included in the measurement, and it was nearly as big as the bedroom. At first I thought the bathroom amenities were restricted to one bar of soap at the basin, it took me a while to track down the others which were many. There was a deep bathtub with a hand-held shower which I could not get to work and a separate shower cubicle with a fold-down seat and handrails. I was beginning to think that I had scored the disabled quarters. The bedroom was tastefully decorated, the first thought that came to mind was shabby chic because some of the furniture looked a bit worn. There was a double bed where I had expected a king one, three side tables, two built-in wardrobes, a writing desk and a piece of furniture the bottom part of which looked like a chest of drawers but which in fact hid a fridge on one side. The top part of this curiosity (the proper name escapes me) was home to a modestly-sized TV behind doors. There was also a comfortable chair with a footstool and an uncomfortable one at the writing desk. So if there are two of you you'll have to draw lots for the more comfortable one. The room had the promised tea and coffee making facilities, but not the expected personal espresso machine. Herbal tea was limited to peppermint, but hot chocolate made up for this shortage. There was plenty of lighting, an ironing board, a safe, but no clock. The room faced away from Kent Street towards Darling Harbour and was therefore very quiet. Having read about the 20-metre heated pool I had brought my swimsuit and went for a few laps. I can confirm that it is a very inviting pool, indeed. The spa was most relaxing. The change room and lockers could be a bit bigger. Before venturing into the Globe Bar I browsed through the directory of services and learnt that I could request a complimentary newspaper to be dropped outside my door in the morning. None was offered at check-in. I blamed my "hot deal" rate for this. The last page of the directory contained the Pet Room Service Menu: Woof Woof, Lassie's Favourite, Feline Chicken, Meow Meow and Tweetie's Crudities. According to the directory, the Globe Bar's focus was an 18th century celestial globe. When we went in search of it we were told that the hotel's previous owners, The Orient Express Group, had taken it away with them. Pity! But the Globe Bar is still a nice and cosy place to while away some time. On leaving the hotel I found myself addressed by name, I was surprised, but I am still not sure whether I was pleased. However, if you choose to stay at the Langham the staff will focus on you, and if this is what you value (over a convenient location, for example) you could possibly not find a better place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple