WINNER WONDERLAND

The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #11 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
“Weekend Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

The stay at the Langham Sydney, was fantastic. I brought the family to Sydney for a bit of weekend R & R, and were blown away by the property, its staff and facilities. The look on my 11 year old daughters face when she saw the pool was magic.
Great rooms, outstanding service.
Highly recommend to anyone looking for classic old school hotel experiences.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Thank you for posting your review of The Langham, Sydney on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to read that you were "blown away" with your experience at our hotel. Your 11 year old daughter sounds like an astute traveller and knows a fabulous pool when she see's one.

If you didn't have the chance to experience our Tiffin afternoon tea service this time, you must on your return. It is another wonderful tradition of this fine hotel and Langham hotels worldwide.

Yours sincerly,
Sonia Lefevre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Bangalow, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

It was with great delight that I learnt that The Observatory Hotel in Kent Street Sydney had been bought by the Langham Group!

I regularly stay at the Langham hotel in Hong Kong and was thrilled that I could now do the same in Sydney. Everytime I stay at the Langham I am welcomed back with a firendly personal sincerity that I rarely experience in other hotels. The Langham pride themselves on personal service and attention to detail and I'm really pleased to say that Langham Sydney was no exception. I would highly recommend it and will stay there again when I return to Sydney.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Nicolettevw,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at The Langham, Sydney.

Like you, we are absolutely delighted to have purchased this fabulous hotel recently and bring Langham to this wonderful city.

I myself have recently moved from The Langham, Hong Kong in Tsim Sha Tsui to lead the team here in Sydney and enjoy receiving comments that we have cemented this iconic hotel with our genuine and friendly Langham hospitality.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney.

Best regards,
Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I loved this hotel. The room and bathroom were nice and we had a lovely balcony overlooking Kent Street. The staff in Reception were welcoming and the restaurant staff at breakfast and the bar were excellent.
I hadn't explored that area of Sydney before and found it to be a very interesting neighbourhood.
We plan to return on our next visit to Sydney.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bezzacct,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We agree that the location of our hotel is quite charming and gives you a different experience of the city. The hotel was build to resemble 19th century Australian architecure and a grand colonial mansion. It blends beautifully into this historic Rocks district.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Sydney on your next visit to Sydney.

Best regards,
Vaucluse, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I booked the Langham because we were to attend a function at Circular Quay and also because I had always wanted to stay there when it was still the Observatory Hotel. Had I realised how many steps there are to conquer between the hotel and the Quay I might have chosen differently. Check-in doesn't start until 3 pm, which I consider rather late. I arrived at 3.05 pm and was processed very quickly. To my surprise they requested to copy my photo ID. Then I was informed that my room was not quite ready, offered a cup of coffee and left to contemplate the five Sidney Nolan paintings in the lobby for half an hour. At last I was escorted to my room which was not quite as big as I had expected given that the room size was advertised as 49 square metres. No doubt this was due to the bathroom being included in the measurement, and it was nearly as big as the bedroom. At first I thought the bathroom amenities were restricted to one bar of soap at the basin, it took me a while to track down the others which were many. There was a deep bathtub with a hand-held shower which I could not get to work and a separate shower cubicle with a fold-down seat and handrails. I was beginning to think that I had scored the disabled quarters. The bedroom was tastefully decorated, the first thought that came to mind was shabby chic because some of the furniture looked a bit worn. There was a double bed where I had expected a king one, three side tables, two built-in wardrobes, a writing desk and a piece of furniture the bottom part of which looked like a chest of drawers but which in fact hid a fridge on one side. The top part of this curiosity (the proper name escapes me) was home to a modestly-sized TV behind doors. There was also a comfortable chair with a footstool and an uncomfortable one at the writing desk. So if there are two of you you'll have to draw lots for the more comfortable one. The room had the promised tea and coffee making facilities, but not the expected personal espresso machine. Herbal tea was limited to peppermint, but hot chocolate made up for this shortage. There was plenty of lighting, an ironing board, a safe, but no clock. The room faced away from Kent Street towards Darling Harbour and was therefore very quiet. Having read about the 20-metre heated pool I had brought my swimsuit and went for a few laps. I can confirm that it is a very inviting pool, indeed. The spa was most relaxing. The change room and lockers could be a bit bigger. Before venturing into the Globe Bar I browsed through the directory of services and learnt that I could request a complimentary newspaper to be dropped outside my door in the morning. None was offered at check-in. I blamed my "hot deal" rate for this. The last page of the directory contained the Pet Room Service Menu: Woof Woof, Lassie's Favourite, Feline Chicken, Meow Meow and Tweetie's Crudities. According to the directory, the Globe Bar's focus was an 18th century celestial globe. When we went in search of it we were told that the hotel's previous owners, The Orient Express Group, had taken it away with them. Pity! But the Globe Bar is still a nice and cosy place to while away some time. On leaving the hotel I found myself addressed by name, I was surprised, but I am still not sure whether I was pleased. However, if you choose to stay at the Langham the staff will focus on you, and if this is what you value (over a convenient location, for example) you could possibly not find a better place to stay.

1 Thank lutzy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years ago when it was the Observatory. The Langham took it over a few months ago so I thought it was time to check it out. The hotel is charming but wear & tear is showing everywhere you look. Room service was very nice. The pool was nice for a dip but is a bit gloomy. I will let them renovate & go back in a years time. Until then I will stay at the newer, fresher hotels that have opened in Sydney

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Lounger99
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Hotel was magnificent, the decor outstanding, The Service from the staff was the best i have ever encountered. From the moment My husband and i entered the hotel the experience was wonderful. We were greated by the conceirge who organised our valet service. He proceed to take our luggage, whilst we checked in which was a quick and informative. The conceirge then escorted us to our beautifully laid out room, and talked us through the amenities.The room was filled with outstanding furniture and an extreamly comfortable king size bed.The bathroom had all luxury toileries and was very tastefully laid out. We used room service which was very prompt. We used the bar and all of the staff were very gracious as was the restaurant for breakfast. I cannot fault this hotel we had a truly wonderful Hotel stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We were delighted to read your positive comments about your experience with us.

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is wonderful to hear that you leave with your own special memories.

We hope that you are an 1865 loyalty program member and will benefit from the many great advantages this program offers for your next stay at any Langham hotel worldwide.

Have a delightful day and best regards,

North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have stayed here under previous management but not much has changed. The position is excellent for The Rocks and Circular Quay and the CBD. The room was large, comfortable and had all the amenities we would want. We even had free wifi though reception said there would be a charge. The bathroom is also large and well fitted out in marble. Water pressure is, however, so low we did not have the time to fill the bath.
The public areas are really well decorated and art works - both original and in fine quality historic prints - are excellent with even a few Sidney Nolans (though not his best) in the main long lobby lounge. The drawing room is also comfortable though it was used for meetings at least once during our stay.
On the whole the room was well serviced though on one day not cleaned until 4pm even after we requested it be made up. The pool is large and pleasant though the male changing room with its over 100 wee box lockers is too small and crowded with only two changing in it. And it could be kept cleaner with all three floor mats dirty. A blood stained cover to the locker room bench was off-putting.
Concierge varied from attentive helpful and friendly to, mostly, indifferent. So a lovely comfortable hotel that needs to tighten up on staff and a little in house keeping.

1 Thank Kirkcaldylad
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear valued guest,

Thank you so much for taking time to write a review of your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. Guest feedback both positive and negative is extremely important and on this occasion provides management with an opportunity to address areas of concern and make improvements.

I appreciate the feedback you have provided. We do have very high standards for both customer service and our overall guest experience and I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectation. I have discussed your comments with the team and we have put measures in place to ensure we do not receive similar feedback in the future.

I do hope we can welcome you again to The Langham, Sydney.

Have a delightful day.