“Definately worth a visit!”

The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #7 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Langham Hotel group have recently taken over the previous Observatory hotel in the Rocks area of Sydney. Its a fairly ordinary looking building but once inside you experience the unique and excellent service of the Langham Hotels. I wish there was one in every city! The welcome was professional and warm and the interior remains luxurious and comfortable (although I'm sure at some point they will upgrade the interior!). The bedroom was amazing, a four poster bed and very comfortable furnishings! Great leisure club and stunning restaurant! The breakfast was delicious! I will certainly always stay here for pleasure and I think it's won the day for me on the business stay front too!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Korniotis
Write a ReviewReviews (1,969)

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Having enjoyed staying at The Langham in London some months ago I was surprised to find the name pop up while planning a short trip to Sydney as I hadn't heard of a Langham there in previous years, however apparently the hotel was recently taken over and on the strength of my experience in London I thought I'd give it a try. I'm definitely glad I did!
I've stayed in a number of other Sydney hotels over the years both for work and on holiday and I think that so far this is definitely one of my favourites - convenient to both Darling Harbour and The Rocks areas, with a great bar and an amazing swimming pool. An added bonus was the friendliness of the staff and the help I had from the Concierge Desk (located right by the front door) which was greatly appreciated as while I do enjoy walking around Sydney I also inevitably manage to get lost at least once each time I'm there. They also have quite an impressive tennis court just over the road which almost looks as though it's been cut right out of the rock surrounding it, but as I was short on time and didn't think to take my tennis gear I'm afraid I didn't manage to get a game in, much as it was a tempting prospect in the sunny weather. The property was small enough to offer personal attention, but large enough to have everything I needed and the staff definitely added to the welcoming atmosphere - highly recommended.

Room Tip: I tried a "junior suite" which had a balcony which was fantastic for enjoying a cold drink...
1  Thank Pierre S
Reviewed September 20, 2012

They have a perfect service quickly and efficiently.We love the public areas.The bed is comfy.The bathroom is really comfortable.Is quite and close the city and the restaurant is superb..I would stay here again,I will return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was looking through wotif.com.au and ended up getting the mystery hotel deal and found I had the Langham Hotel (formerly Observatory Hotel). To be totally honest, I wasn't impressed with the pics thinking the rooms looked very old fashioned (I'm usually more of a minimalist person when it comes to hotels)...

May I just say -- how WRONG was I!!!

I'm writing this from my gorgeous room on the third level of the hotel. I'm staying for 3 nights and wish I could stay longer!
The experience has been excellent and started as soon as I entered - the concierge and the reception staff have all been brilliant - so welcoming and remembered my name. They organised my in-room internet before I even got to my room and had very thoughtfully put me on the third floor (top floor of the hotel -- which I had requested - and honestly didn't think I would get as I was using a wotif deal!). The room was beautifully decorated, everything was so clean and tidy and the furniture and style definitely fit in with both the hotel and the area in general (as it's right near the Rocks). The bathroom is gorgeous with 3 different showerheads to choose from and an extremely deep and comfortable bath! The bed is huge and so comfy! The TV worked well and there was a DVD player although I didn't use it.

I did use the gym which was well set out with good equipment and had both a facial and massage at the spa - both of which were fantastic and the staff were very nice despite the fact i was 10 min late -- they even let my session run a little late (by about 5min) so some of the time was made up (even though it was my fault I was late!)...

The hotel is close to Wynyard station and Circular Quay and the city is about a 10min walk away - it's so close to the centre of Sydney but SO quiet! I slept well every night!

To be a little nitpicky, the only things i noted that could have been improved were that the room was a little warm at night (even with the air conditioning on -- although I am currently living in Auckland where it's freezing cold so it might have been my issue with acclimatisation!) and the mini-bar wasn't restocked whilst I was here (although not a bad thing as I didn't use much out of it and did use the minibar to store some yoghurt and fruit so the extra space was appreciated!)

I would definitely stay here again and, in fact, am looking forward to booking it for my next trip to Sydney!

Room Tip: ask for a room on the top floor - I have been in room 329 which is brilliant!
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have stayed at Langham Hotels around the world, so I was thrilled when I learned that they had taken over the Observatory Hotel in Sydney. I switched my hotel reservations so that I could stay there. I wasn't disappointed. They value personalized service (always calling me by name) and making sure that your requests are handled quickly and efficiently. I loved the Afternoon Tea and the public areas and my room. I will definitely return.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

A wonderfully kept secret on the quiet side of Sydney City, that gives you a 7 star experience, with personal attention second to none. Staff are unmatched in their proffessionalism. In particular, Michael Anderson, and events co-ordinator Georgia Chornova. The fine dining of the Galilleo Restaurant is second to none in Sydney. Thank you for a most enchanting evening.

Room Tip: A water view room is a great way to awake in the morning
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John_St1412
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We actually booked this hotel when it was the Observatory and part of the Orient Express group. One of the reasons we booked this was because we got engaged on the Northern Belle in England, which is also part of the Orient Express group.

The hotel is lovely, our room was spacious and we received some complimentary pastry as a congratulations. There was no free wi fi in the rooms which was disappointing given the price and to pay was what I considered unreasonably expensive. In this day wi fi should be free.

We found out that they were changing to the Langham the day before we were due to depart and after staying at the Langham Hong Kong we were quite excited as we had had such a lovely time and the hotel we had stayed in was brilliant. As it happens when the change happened it was badly managed and ending up making me cross.

The hotel sent notes to the room about the change and then invited us to a cocktail party on the Wednesday evening. I thought little of it and we were checking out very early Thursday morning (3.30 am). On the Wednesdya we went out and came back mid afternoon to the new pink colourscheme and various other bits and pieces. I asked at reception about dining in their restuarant that evening to be told that it was closed for the cocktail party. No-one thought to mention to the guests that had paid quite a lot of money that the cocktail party meant no restaurant was available - surely this is pretty basic! A man there (clearly some senior manager) said I could come to the party and I said I was on my honeymoon so out of cocktail party clothes - he then rather condescendingly offered to lend me a tie. Now I work in business and own my own dinner jack, suit and bow tie. Several suits, shirts and ties for business. None of the shirts I had were suitable for wearing with a tie - I was on my honeymoon. They were nice/smart shirts - one had even been acceptable the The Langham Honk Kongs two Michelin starred restaurant. This man made me feel like I was not of a suitable calibre for his opening event so we went out to a restaurant for the evening.
It is a real shame as they badly managed this guests experience on the day but I wonder whether that is the people involved who were clearly more interested in the 'rich' of Sydney.
Next time I would look at the Shang Ri La and I do plan to return to Sydney. If someone asked for a recommendation I would be cautious.
We stayed six nights and after five wonderful nights they blew it in one. Other than that my rating would have been so much better.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple