“Noisy!”

Astral Tower and Residences
Ranked #49 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Very noisy hotel. Expensive food, try cafes and restaurants in the area instead.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed December 14, 2010

This hotel is definitely overpriced. Just average room. Pool is too small and crowded for a hotel of this size. Breakfast is expensive and not really pleasant location (called "garden buffet" but is inside and more like a cheap cafeteria at the mall). Internet is very expensive. Elevators are too few and you have too wait long for one to appear, the reason is that because of under-capaity is has top stop at many floors. The bar at top floor is almost never open and when open obviously just for special events where you are not invited. I had room at the floor under it and it was annoying having this very loud music and at the same time not even having the possiblity to use it. My advice is clear, choose another hotel in the area!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for three nights to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and everything about our stay was fantastic.

The concierge (Aaron) was incredibly helpful both prior and during our stay, organising bookings at bars and also confirming dinner reservations for us when we were unavailable.

The Star Suite was amazing, totally luxurious for us. We had a balcony which looked directly over the cityscape and Harbour Bridge. The balcony was shared but we didn't see anyone else out there and was perfect for our before dinner drinks. The lounge/dining area had a bar area with sink and fridge etc, dining area with four seat table, lounge with lovely huge leather couch and large plasma tv with dvd/cd player. Large sliding doors to balcony off the lounge. The bedroom was great - a REAL king size bed (sooo comfortable) with beautiful lighting behind the headboard which could be adjusted to different colours. Another large plasma and sliding door to the balcony. Off the bedroom, you walk through to the dressing area then bathroom - beautiful big two person spa bath with TV, double vanity, shower and WC. All marble.

The service was amazing, from the girl who came in to turn down our bed each night (and leave a little snack and water), to the maid who made up the room each day who always put my teddy bear in the middle of the pillows), to the reception desk who always seemed to know who I was whenever I made a query.

We did swim and the pool area was great. It was nice as the weather was overcast so it wasn't that busy.

Also had breakfast at Astral Bar (was included in the package we booked) which was fantastic and great value (Astral is closing mid Dec).

The location is fine, around a 10-15 min walk into Pitt St Mall. The bonus of being slightly outside the CBD is that we got an amazing view of the cityscape.

We had already planned to go back for our 11 yr anniversary in 2011 before we left. I loved every minute of our stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2010

We booked this hotel through our airmiles, and on arrival as we were a honeymoon couple we were upgraded to a harbour view room. You could just see the harbour bridge, but not a spectacularly great view. I found it quite stuffy in the room as no windows would open, which I understand the reasons for, being on a high floor, but some fresh air is much needed in the heat. Air con worked fine though. Staff really friendly and helpful, and service was always quick, polite and efficient. I do not think this hotel is 5 stars though, the bathroom resembled one you would find in a cheap hotel in Benidorm, definitely needed an upgrade and the communal areas, like lifts and corridors were dull and dirty. Bed was lovely, the room equally nice, but again no Wow factor. Great location though, a short walk to Darling Harbour which we loved. We did spend a few hours in the Casino which was fun, but cheesy as expected. Best thing about this place is the buffet breakfast, loads of selection and all really fresh. Pool area nice too, but nothing special. I think there are nicer hotels in Sydney for the money.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed here for an anniversary at the Star City Suite: it was simply divine, and could not have been any more perfect!

The suite is very, very roomy - with a dining room, a lounge area, huge flatscreen TV and a rather large and luxurious mini bar. The views from the suite are beautifully expansive, and reach from the harbour and Harbour Bridge, across to the city skyline.

The bedroom was amazing. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the mood lighting around the headboard was a lovely touch (you could change it to various different colours - talk about attention to detail!). Another large flatscreen TV greeted us in the bedroom, and there was yet another TV above the lovely spa bath in the bathroom (complete with a waterproof remote control!). The bathroom was just beautiful too (and very large), with no area spared from luxury. The suite was a little expensive, but it is definitely worth it.

Reviewed November 16, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a business trip. 3 nights in a standard room. I was quite looking forward to staying here, as i figured it would be a fairly nice hotel considering the Casino hotel here in Melbourne.
Yup. Wrong. Rooms were dated and stuffy (no opening windows). Made worse for me as my airconditioner didn't work properly. Woke me up at about 3am on the first night putting out a horrible racket, so I had to switch it off to get some sleep. This made the room incredibly stuffy. Horrible.
Didn't get fixed until the afternoon of the 3rd day - and the repair guys came in to fix it while I was in the room trying to work.
Some other negs:
Room service was not remotely reliable. Especially breakfast. I couldn't rely on it being delivered to my room on time, so after a couple of attempts I gave up and went out.
Room wasn't clean - just basic things like sticky table/bench tops and dirty seats.
The only positives were the concierge and the gym.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Recently stayed here in two room types...the Star Suite and the Delux room.
Firstly, the Star Suite was well worth the little extra. Amazing room! Huge and luxurious. Only bad thing about this room is you don't get your own private balcony as all the rooms share the same long balcony. Even if there was a few sun beds or chairs on the balcony it would be lovely.
The Delux room was just plain and boring. A bit dated in parts but really average and not worth the money.
Things I liked about the hotel....the buffet breakfast was the BEST EVER HAD! Prebook this with your room for only $20 per person. The front desk staff were lovely and really went above and beyond. The pool area was brilliant. We were also given an early checkin and late checkout.
Things I didnt like about it....the lifts stop at the Casino level so they are always really busy and sssllllooow. Alot of larikans from the casino around too. Porters were slow with our bags but everything else was great.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends