“Would never stay here again”

Astral Tower and Residences
Ranked #51 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Recently stayed for 2 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment in Astral Tower and Residences of The Star and the apartment was ok, for 5 star I wouldn't rave about it and have stayed in better apartments of a lower star rating. The area of concern for us was the extremely poor customer service by hotel staff. Having arrived very early we requested early checkin and at checkin was advised that this should be able to be met and to watch out for a text message around 1pm. We planned our entire day around this early checkin to not have this met at all. We were not able to checkin until 2.30pm after returning to the hotel to question why the room was not ready by 1.30pm, we were then only told the hotel was at 100% capacity the night before so we were misinformed upon checkin. There was no apology by the staff member in question, in fact she could hardly speak English or understand it. After we were finally able to checkin, we were put into the incorrect room that we in fact booked. After about 20 mins of waiting in the wrong room, we were moved but told our luggage could not be located but as soon as they locate it they will bring it up. After 5 calls to concierge and the front desk and one of those calls was to the manager, an hour later our luggage arrived. Again the concierge who delivered the luggage never apologised for the mishap, although not directly his fault, he just said "I don't know what happened if your not happy you have to speak to the bell captain". The customer service from all staff was appalling, and it was not about getting something for free, just a simple apology or a how can we make this stay more enjoyable for you, showing a sense of care would have been nice. I will never stay at The Star again. The facilities however were great. The restaurants, bars and the casino itself we would certainly re-visit. It is also a little out of the city and with the monorail now not operational it was an inconvenience to travel into the city. For a 5* hotel it was a VERY disappointing stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kasey M

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I was in Sydney recently for 3 nights on business and was overwhelmed at the prices and what you actually got for your money. I booked the Astral Tower and Residences at the Star Casino complex and got a one bedroom apartment. This was absolutely fantastic it gave me a suite for less than the price of a hotel room, it was close to entertainment, there was a selection of good restaurants. The room itself was nothing fabulous but as a package it worked really well including the free valet parking. Access to the city was really good. I liked the room as it offered excellent working space with room to move. My room had a good view and I will return here for future stays.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The flat was perfect - almost. It had everything we needed - laundry, open kitchen with everything, 1 bathroom, 1 bedroom and an ensuite bedroom - there is a tub and a shower in the ensuite.

We did not know how to operate the washer but someone came to fix it quickly. So was the microwave oven, but it could not be fixed - we did not request changing to a new room since we were four and that would be a huge job to move the whole family to a new room for an oven.

The lift goes to casino directly so if you want to have fun at Roulette, do it anytime.

Covered areas from the room to the hotel lobby, to the light rail station. Quite windy outside as the hotel is facing the quay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is nothing to write home about - good or bad. And that's a good thing. It delivers an uneventful 5* product in an efficient and workman-like way. The main stand out is the spectacular view of the city skyline across Pyrmont. A potential downside is that you're not actually in the CBD (but it's just a short walk or trip on light rail).

Eating and entertainment options of the Star are at the bottom of the elevator - again, this could be a good or bad thing depending on your view.

If you have average expectations and get a good rate then this is a good option- it just lacks any magic.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We booked two rooms for a celebration last Saturday night: a twin city view and a King harbour view. The former was around $380 and the latter was $470.
My son enjoyed his time in the twin room but as a 16 year-old who loves hotels it's hard to disappoint him. I, on the other hand was very disappointed with my spend and wished I'd stuck with my existing favourites in Sydney without trying somehwere new.
I can't fault the service or the friendliness of staff or the cleanliness of the room. It was spacious and modern in decor. The room service menu was reasonable and varied. But such is the standard in many other hotels for much less money. For close to $500 for the night (breakfast and parking not included) I was expecting some "little' touches to make me want to come back. Instead I believe the value for money was very disappointing when I compare what I've had for the same money or less elsewhere in the city. There was no free internet access, no facilities in the room to play music (ipod dock or cd player) There was no DVD player. Only one very hard armless chair and no separate table to eat at or sofa resulting in one guest having to always be lying on the bed when watching TV. No vases to put bought flowers or flower arrangements as I have experienced in another hotel.The products in the bathroom were ordinary and sparse - no shoe shine, no sewing kit. There was no shaving mirror to rely on for putting on make up. The control for the reading lights and lamp were on the right side of the bed only so there were no separate reading lights. The view over the harbour to the bridge was ok but the windows were so dirty I couldn't use my camera. I appreciate how difficult it is to keep windows clean but a small balcony access is available for these rooms (though the door is lock and guests can't open it) so surely this would facilitate more frequent cleaning of individual windows? There were two standard bathrobes pairs of slippers but they were not the fluffy, spoil-yourself- kind. If you have close to $500 to spend on a Sydney hotel you can get ones that make you feel a bit more special than this one.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had a 2 bed apartment booked and a twin share room, we arrived to check-in approx 6pm. We where able to check-in to the 2 bed apartment but the twin share room was not ready yet. This was 3 hours after standard check-in time. Nothing was offered to assist with this, it was a good 30min before we received the keys to the twin room.

I emailed feedback in regards to this mishap, at first i was told it was due to a late check-out of previous guests in the 2 bedroom apartment, this is not acceptable. Current guests should have been asked to leave well before 3pm. This meant had we arrived at 3pm neither of our rooms would have been ready.

No seating on the balcony of the 2 bedroom apartment which meant we had to drag indoor seating out.

Was not a great experience at all. It was a shame as the casino is a wonderful place to attend with your hubby or friends. But living 2 hours away accommodation is needed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank PmaloneyKVG
Reviewed February 20, 2014

What a beautiful property and great location. The two bedroom unit was really large with a massive balcony. It was in immaculate condition. The pool was great as was the gym. The service left a bit to be desired but I would still highly recommend this property.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple