Astral Tower and Residences
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
1,157 results
All reviewsstar citystar suitecasino hotellyric theatredarling harbourbedroom apartmentpyrmont viewlight railroom servicecity viewupgraded to a suitefree upgrademini barfull kitchenking bedbuffet breakfastcentral station
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I'd booked The Star (Astral Tower) for one night as I had a conference to attend at the Australian National Maritime Museum which is nearby to The Star. The hotel matched a Hilton room rate of $239 for a standard room.

On check in I was upgraded to a Star Suite. The suite was HUGE. It had a separate entry hall and kitchenette, toilet, huge living room, dining room, a separate bedroom with large robes, two flat screen TV's, a giant bathroom with spa bath, shower, his & hers basins and a large mirror. It was such a shame I was travelling alone, but WOW what a room. The view was superb of Sydney and Darling Harbour.

The stay was almost perfect. The only glitch was that my breakfast order (hung on the door well before the requsted time of 2am) wasn't taken so I missed breakfast. The strange thing was that during the night someone delivered a newspaper, and also the express check out slip, and yet didn't take my breakfast order.

However with the upgrade, and the friendly service, I can't complain. It was great and I'll stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Maritime_Historian
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This hotel caters for asian gamblers so unless you fit into this category I would not consider this an accommodation option for Sydney. It is also very expensive for a very average room and well below average service. I expected far more from this hotel after viewing its website and was extremely disappointed. It was no surprise to read that this hotel and casino are in financial trouble and have brought in a new director from the USA. He has a tough job ahead of him but something clearly needs to change.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bidefordbabe
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I firstly have to say that I had NO issue with the quality of the room, or the general friendliness of MOST staff.
However, I was staying with a friend who was offered two nights free accommodation here due to being a Pearl member, which meant we technically weren't paying hotel guests. We were told on the first night that there were no non-smoking rooms, and were put into a smoking room. Fine, we didn't complain, and accepted this.
But on the second night, we asked if there were any non-smoking rooms available since the smell was really getting to us in the smoking room and the window was sealed shut (without telling them our room number or anything). A swap was no problem, until they were given our information. The girl had to speak to her manager, who then informed us that no, we were checking out tomorrow therefore couldn't swap.
Considering it was aggravating my friend's asthma being cooped up all night in a smoky, sealed room, this felt like the most ridiculous refusal. Sure, it means more cleaning up for them, but you'd think health and safety would also have meaning for them, or even customer service!

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Hayley C
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Have stayed at the star a few times now, but cannot go past the SUITES, great for entertaining before going out to shows or dinner. If your lucky to get the water views, it's magnificent. The rooms are spacious and relaxing. The beds are very very comfortable.
I would say the only down side on this visit is the fact that the hotel does not have its own breakfast area(Bistro 80 closed)and we had to walk across from the foyer past the casino entrance(it was very hard to walk past) and up to the garden Buffet for our breakfast. As I said this was the only downside to the visit, Hopefully the restaurant will open again soon as it's very conveniently located and just a lift ride to get to it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My family of 5 recently stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment. We arrived at midday after an early flight and were pleasantly surprised when called by reception for an earlier than 3 pm check- in. Many thanks. We were made very welcome by all staff (reception, concierge, porters). Housekeeping very helpful with extra blankets for the kids.
Apartment was 10th floor city/ harbour views- fantastic especially at night. Very quiet at all times. Spacious, very clean and well serviced daily. All amenities for a self contained stay. With 3 daughters, 2 bathrooms were gold. Two TV's so no arguments about what to watch. All appliances in good working order. Only one minor gripe- Astral pool was closed due to renovations (we knew of this) but very cruel for the kids to see an always empty pool next door at the Darling- perhaps some consideration to reciprocal use during the works. We could have used the Ian Thorpe swim centre ( Astral has a deal) but too much of a hassle both time and travel.
Great location at Darling Harbour- could walk to everything. Darling quarter playground and water features a hit with the kids. Plenty of eating options both within the Star and close by. Get a weekly mymulti ticket and hit the harbour via ferry- million dollar scenery. Easy access to zoo, Manly and the city via Circular Quay. Do a trip at night too.
Great stay and would love to do again. Recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floor for views and minimal noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family