“Stunning view and great location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Astral Tower and Residences at The Star

Astral Tower and Residences at The Star
Ranked #54 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Stunning view and great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Star complex is amazing - very busy and bustling with activity. There is a large food court complex on the ground level with many choices for a quick meal. Of course the casino is also there for those who like a flutter. We didn't go to the casino as we are not gambling.

Our two bedroom apartment was on the 10th floor (room 1059) and had amazing city and Darling Harbour views. It was a comfortable size with two bathrooms and a small kitchen. The balcony was a good size, but had no furniture. It would have been nice to sit out there with a wine and enjoy the view. We stayed in the middle of summer (January 2013) and enjoyed lovely breezes on the balcony while watching all the activity in the harbour and around Darling Harbour.

The apartment was clean and the decor pleasant. The lcoation is great, handy to the Piermont ferry stop (pleasant 25 minute ferry ride to Circular Quay from there), the Sydney monorail (which is shutting down in July 2013, but was fun to go for a quick trip around the city on), and the Harbour Side shopping centre which has many shops and restaurants including the Hard Rock Cafe. It's also a 10 minute walk into the CBD and all the shopping in Pitt St and Queen Victoria Building There is a small Coles supermarket around the corner from Star - use that to get your supplies instead of the many convenience stores around the place. We paid $7 for a 1.5 litre bottle of water at one of these stores, they are an absolute ripoff. We noticed that none of them display any prices, for anything in the store, so you just get the nasty surprise at the till. Use the Coles instead, its much cheaper :)

We are very pleased we chose the Astral Towers apartments for our four night stay in Sydney, would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

We booked a room on Wotif, checked in at midnight and were upgraded to the Royal Suite (I think that's what it was called). It was like paradise - and I just wish it had been for more than one night. It was quite simply the best hotel experience I've ever had, and will probably ever have again. Although if I had to say anything negative - the breakfast in the restaurant in the morning was poor to average at best and the coffee was terrible. I'd advise people to find a good cafe somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in 2 bedroom apartment, the location if you are doing a show nearby is great. Beds could do with an upgrade bit tied for the price you pay not cheap for a Friday night 538.
Service was good and room clean and quite all up not too bad.

Room Tip: Make sure you request two singles if you are traveling with kids as we got a king and double had to...
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I booked into this 2 bedrooom apartment in astral residences. Firstly I booked over the phone and they didn't even send me confirmation via email or any other way so I had to called up on the day to say they have reserved apartment for me. They did.The problem is when u have nothing on paper u have nothing to prove at what price u r paying cos upon leaving, I was charge a much higher rate than when I made the booking. Told reception, she said I heard wrong. The reception has no people skills, they are rude.

Secondly, the apartment is no 5 star...maybe 3 star..the place was old..and very small..and the housecleaning was horrible..the apartment was dirty when we checked in...bathroom dirty and beds were very itchy. I told the housekeeper to change bedsheet next morning..she said yes but didn't change..the stain was on the bed. The kitchen barely had any useful utensils. AWFUL. This apartment is awful. .overprice and location is average..still a fair walk to darling harbour..Parkroyal hotel is closer to darling harbour. We were so unhappy with the place, we had to check out. We checked in Shangri la...now that is 5 star..cheaper and everything better...room and service. PLEASE DO NOT stay in Astral apartment. .totally crap crap crap. The apartment does not look like the photos online at all. The whole apartment is very small, bedrooms 1 and 2 are both very small, and showers r very small. Even the amenities are not even 5 star standard.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Mothero
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. Our 3 bedroom apartment was very spacious, clean, had a well equipped kitchen and had fabulous views. The location of The Star is perfect for getting to Darling Harbour and other cbd attractions. We had some noise on the Friday night but not enough to disturb us.

However, The Star leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to customer service. We checked in at 2.40pm and were told that the room would be available at 3pm. Fine, I thought and went off or coffee in the lobby to await my text message. At 3.15 (we were due to leave at 3.30pm to visit an attraction) I still had no text so went back to check in. The queue was at least 15 groups long and there were only 2 staff at the counter. I approached the concierge and asked him to check. He disappeared off with my driving licence for about 15 minutes whilst his fellow concierge had dealt with 3 people in that time. When he came back he did apologise and informed me we'd been upgraded from a 2 to a 3 bed apartment. Ok, but we were now running late.

The apartment we were given was not one of the recently refurbished ones. Whilst clean, the furniture was dated and heavily marked. We also had a bizarrely small television compared to the size of the lounge. Whilst we had a beautiful view from the balcony we did not have any balcony furniture from which to enjoy it. When I asked if there was any furniture we could have we were provided with 2 cheap looking plastic garden chairs and one of the dining room chairs. Not satisfactory in any way.

On the Friday morning we called the concierge at 0630 to arrange a taxi with child seat to take us to the Opera House at 0845. On arrival at the lobby it was clear that this hadn't been done and in order to make our theatre performance I had to travel with my son on my lap, something I hate to do.

The shower in the en suite bathroom dripped after use. We reported this to housekeeping but it was not fixed.

I asked for a complimentary newspaper for both mornings. I only received one.

Overall, this visit left me with a sour taste and generally feeling quite irritated. If The Star wishes to promote itself as a Vegas style entertainment venue then it needs to learn an awful lot about customer service from the Americans.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed at The Star a number of times over the years but this was our first time in the Astral Residences and Apartments. It was great!!!! I booked a 2-bedroom City View apartment through The Entertainment book and when we got to the door, we realized we were given a suite. SCORE! Bedrooms were at the top and kitchen, lounge, long balcony and 3rd toilet was on the 1st level. Loved it! Prior to arriving though, I called with a few questions and got my answers by such helpful staff. Valet parking is $26 per 24hours. I called reception on our checkout morning and requested a later checkout time since we didnt arrive till evening the day we checked in and was granted till 12pm!!!! AWESOME!
The place and surrounds has never seized to amaze me!! I wanted to book in a musical but unfortunately no good seats were available.
Don't forget to visit Adriano Zumbo for some dessert haha
If you haven't stayed at The Star, give it a go. You won't be disappointed. For the rate we received per night, definitely worth it!!!
Thanks The Star!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. The apartment was spacious with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room. Our balcony (on the fifth floor) was huge.

We were disappointed with the view as we were on the fifth floor. If you want great Harbour views make sure that you are up higher. Nevertheless, the view at night was spectacular.

Housekeeping was fine and we had no complaints.

Room Tip: Views of the Harbour are poor on the fifth floor. You need to get higher.