“Perfect Spot in Sydney's Circular Quay”

Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
Ranked #15 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersGold level
Costa Mesa, California
“Perfect Spot in Sydney's Circular Quay”
Reviewed January 16, 2010

The Sir Stamford at Circular Quay is an AMAZING hotel! Just a 5 minute walk to The Opera House, and across the street from the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens. The rooms are HUGE, and decorated very elegantly. The hotel also has a beautiful bar that serves excellent cocktails (although a little pricey). I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Sydney.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
TimothyBuckton, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, June 20, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We value your feedback and it will be passed onto the team. We hope to see you back at Sir Stamford Circular Quay.

Timothy Buckton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2010

We stayed there for 3 nights and loved the place. Right across from the botanical gardens where the bats are hanging during the day which was quite an attraction. About a 3 minute walk to the Opera House, Circle Quay so you can not be better located for access to running around outside or just going to see the sites!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

McLean, Virginia
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Sir Stamford for a week in December. Outstanding location within an easy walk of the Opera House, Circular Quay (bus and ferry center), Botanic Gardens, Art Museum, and many other attractions. Beautiful room with very comfortable bed, table and chairs for in-room dining, nice bath. Would recommend asking for room overlooking Circular Quay. Sir Stamford is upscale, has great room service, and has a friendly staff. Limited on-site dining -- one restaurant, very pricey. We used room service meals quite a bit. Always generous, tasty, and prompt. Would definitely stay here again on another trip to Sydney.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveledall

London
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My wife and I stayed for 7 days over Christmas and were very pleasantly surprised. The Sir Stamford has an almost old world charm, with very nice staff and perfectly nice rooms. We usually stay at the Four Seasons but were attracted by the great rate at the Sir Stamford. I would have to say that we felt it was terrific value.
The location cannot be beaten - just 100 yards from Circular Quay and probably 250 yards to the Opera House. There is a small, but very nice, swimming pool. The bar is large, airy and well stocked.
We only used the restaurant for the occasional breakfast, which was perfectly nice, albeit quite expensive for what it is.
We will definitely use the Sir Stamford in the future, in preference to the Four Seasons, whcih was roughly twice as expensive.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bigal57
TimothyBuckton, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, May 11, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to improve our service and hope to welcome you back to Sir Stamford Circular Quay.

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights upon arrival from the U.S. Booked through hotels.com and got a great rate. Elegant old hotel in a fabulous location. The opera house is about 3 blocks down the hill, botanic garden is across the street and circular quay 2 blocks away. We knew our room would not have a view, so were not disappointed. The room was huge, furnishings comfortable, though a bit "past their prime." Bathroom was spacious, all marble, with double vanity. Concierge was helpful and booked some day trips for us. Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Adelaide
Reviewed January 2, 2010

First things first. For location, you CANNOT go wrong with the Sir Stamford. It is 1 minute from Circular Quay, you can get the train from the airport and is within walking distance of Hyde Park, The Rocks and the Opera House. I booked this hotel 8 months in advance for New Years Eve for myself and my Mum. I am an agent and go by the room descriptions the hotel send to the wholesaler and also the hotel website itself. As the "Harbour View Room" with terraces were booked out, I booked a DELUXE HARBOUR VIEW ROOM instead as I could get a Juliet Balcony. The descriptions actually say " French doors open on to Juliet Balconies or Terrace, overlooking our beautiful Sydney Harbour and the Royal Botanic Gardens" . By Sydney Harbour, they actually mean Watson's Bay, NOT the part of the Harbour ( i.e. The bit that has the Bridge) any person I have actually asked would be expecting. At $700.00 a night,( yep you read that right and there was a minimum 3 night stay) we were disappointed as we hoped to be able to watch the fireworks from our Juliet Balcony. The hotel isn't even high enough to give you a "proper" harbour view of the bit with the bridge. Apparently if you stay in a superior King you may get a glimpse of Circular Quay according to the hotel website ( so strange as this is the lead in room type?). Even one of the boys on the desk described the description as slightly misleading.
The repair man did not seem interested in making sure the lock on our Juliet Balcony doors actually locked without turning the knob 12 times to get it locked.

I would like to mention that Jessica, concierge team leader and Robert who was on the front desk were exceptional.

The marble bathrooms are massive, and so are the rooms. On the whole it is a beautiful hotel and you just cannot beat the location- we fell in love with the fact we were a minute from the facilities of Circular Quay. I have put 3 for value as I feel I paid for a room that wasn't correctly described. But for location it gets a 5 for value.

I am just glad I didn't book this for a client, I was disappointed enough, I would have been heartbroken for any client. I am very careful when booking rooms for premium events ( and just in general) and had the description clearly said there was no view of Circular Quay, I would have booked a Superior Room instead and saved some money or spent an extra grand and stayed at Quay Grand Suites and got my own balcony on Circular Quay and 2 extra nights. Although, we had a great time, and I would definitely stay here again, I will be booking Quay Grand Suites, Shangri La, Intercontinental and Four Seasons for my clients over New Year as they actually do have views of the part of the Harbour that people are expecting. For other stays though this hotel will be up there for top located hotels and as long as you are not expecting to see the fireworks, you really should stay here just based on the location.

• Stayed December 2009
1 Thank wildflowerb

Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I stayed here overnight on my way to a conference on the gold coast. I wanted a comfortable place to fight the first round of jet lag, while being close enough to the major sydney sights that I might get out and see the opera house, etc. This was a very comfortable hotel, the staff were all really friendly and helpful, and the decor was elegant. It was a couple of blocks from the train station so it was easy to get to & from the airport. It was also a very short walk to the waterfront and opera house, and the gardens were literally across the street. I was shocked to have to pay $25 a night for internet access (!!!) but it seemed that this was not unusual in Australia. Luckily it was a business trip and I could write it off, otherwise I would have been seriously annoyed. Also the fitness center was tiny. All in all though a fantastic hotel.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business