“Fantastic ... we'll be back”

Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney
Ranked #14 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersGold level
New South Wales
“Fantastic ... we'll be back”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Beautiful, old-world hotel, great, polite staff who are very helpful. Beautiful comfy bed, hotel in fabulous position, around the corner from Circular Quay. Best hotel we have stayed in in Sydney, just loved it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Dear Valued Guests

We do thank you for such a succinct, special review - you have said it all in a simple paragraph, which we beliee accurately reflects our boutique 105 room hotel. Whether you are seasoned travllers like yourselves or a first time traveller we endeavour to make everyone comfortable and leave with memories of our style.

Kind regards
Heather Idoine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed March 10, 2012

I chose to stay my first-ever two nights in Sydney at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay because after a long-haul flight I wanted peace and comfort -- and the Sir Stamford did not disappoint.

I'd requested an early check-in, which is always subject to availability, but the room was not quite ready when I arrived. This was no problem, however, because I was granted access to the 5th floor fitness room and pool where I could shower, change and/or use the outdoor pool while my room was readied. The pool is quite tiny -- not too much bigger than a large hot tub -- and is only 1 meter deep all around. But -- oh, heaven -- did this help! While my husband took a post-shower nap in the patio's filtered shade, I showered, swam about, and lounged poolside... and the room was ready after an hour-and-a-half.

Room 312 overlooked the main entrance and the Royal Botanic Gardens -- or what we could see through the trees that is. [The third floor is noted as a Lounge (Club) floor in the elevator, but I was told that the perks that came with the floor no longer apply.] Our room was spacious and spotless with plenty of natural light. The bed and furnishings were comfortable -- perfect for some much-needed rest. There was a little bit of road noise, but not much considering our busy streetside location.

The bathroom was elegant and clean, comprised of mostly marble. There was a double vanity, soaking tub, shower and a a toilet room. Amenities were plentiful and of good quality.

Within the hotel, all of our staff encounters were pleasant. We utilized the concierge's advice a few times; he was friendly and good-natured to boot!

From my research I found that rooms at the Sir Stamford at Circular Quay can be on the pricier side for travellers on a budget. Typically, a room here would be more than I'd prefer to spend unless I were splurging for a special occasion. However, I booked this room about a year in advance and was able to secure an excellent rate (south of $250/night) -- a bargain, considering the room and hotel class, location, and the splendid service!

The one oddity we experienced was a mid-stay change of furniture! I'm not sure if this happens often, but it was a first for me. When we returned from a long day of sightseeing, I noticed the couch and chair were a different color. My husband didn't believe me until I showed him the picture I'd taken upon our arrival. He inquired at the front desk and he thought the gentleman was surprised we'd noticed. Apparently, we happened to be in a room where the furniture was cycled out for cleaning and they'd replaced it with a set that was just cleaned. This was no bother to us, just an unexpected event.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kris_K_D
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Dear Top Reviewer

We are very excited to receive such a good rating from a Top Reviewer and also view the photos of your room. It's clear from the photos your room furniture was completely changed in the middle of your stay - as the new lounge chair and two seater couch were completely recovered items. We do apologise fior it really should not have been changed until you left and must have been very puzzling. However this is part of our continual refurbishment programme and we are very pleased you noticed.

The Quay lounge on level 3 is a nice bonus for there is no extra charge to be on this floor, it's very pleasant if you need a quiet space. The 2 magnifcent blue glass chandeliers are my favourite of the 550 hand cut chandeliers in Sir Stamford at Circular Quay.

Your advice about advance booking is very astute - there are very giood value booking discounts that cease 60 days prior to arrival - however this is usually only pertinent to High Season periods (February and March are very high demand) as the quiet periods can have low season specials such as our Easter Packages, if you look on our website - details above.

Thank you again, we appreciate such rigorous feedback.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 7, 2012

At this hotel, I get the best sleep ever - this time and during previous stays. This time my room overlooked Macquarie St and the gardens - just delightful. Last time it was a harbour view. I enjoyed both equally. The fact that the aircon can be turned off and balcony doors opened to breathe in Sydney's air is, to me, a huge plus. I dislike hotels where windows and doors are fixed and I feel cooped up. So well did I sleep here, I want to replace my home bedding with that similar to this hotel. Staff courteousness is fantastic. Nothing seems to be any trouble at all. Wi-fi is available gratis (with one's own laptop) in the lounge. The hotel is just so close to transport -train, buses and Sydney Harbour ferries: five minutes walk to the Sydney Opera House and the stunning views of Sydney Harbour. And, to shop it's only 10 minutes walk along Macquarie St to David Jones and the central business district. I cannot speak too highly about this hotel. Nothing about it disappoints.

Room Tip: Be sure when booking to request the type of room you would like. Like other hotels, nothing is guar...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear Valued Senior Reviewer

We are very pleased to read that our hotel was a perfect match for you on this return visit. We have many guests both international and domestic that have stayed well over 50 times, I sometimes feel they know the hotel much better than we do! Receiving feedback is part of the improvement process as for example the free lobby wi fi that was changed last year.

Your tip about "asking" is very pertinent as guests sometimes are restricted by booking sites that do not allow comments or perhaps are obscure about hotel features. A phonecall or email with special requests or upgrade requests direct to the hotel, is very wise and of course all hotels across the world have their own websites which ensures you are communicating directly with us.

If on arrival to a hotel you do not find the room you are allocated to your liking then we advise not to unpack, simply return to reception and ask to speak with a Duty Manager and your preferences will be worked through together to ensure your stay is not compromised. Having completely happy guests is our daily goal,

Kind regards and thank you again we love your 5 star ratings.
Geenral Manager
Canada, Kentucky
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This Hotel is in the heart of Sydney, walking distance from pretty much anything. Friendly staff with a nice restaurant. The whole place is very old world. We were impressed with the service when you needed a cab, they run out of their way for you.

Dear Valued guests

Thank you for your review, it is good to hear that our staff run for cabs! This past week has been one of very unseasonal torrential rain and front office team, concierge and management have really had to work hard to assist guests in very wet conditions with towels, umbrellas, cabs and generally doing what we could as the city almost stopped due to the flash flooding. They did a wonderful job and despite the rain Sir Stamford provided a safe haven for High Tea's and cocktails while the wild weather swriled around us. We are very pleased the sun is now shining.

Kind regards
Generla Manager
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for five nights and found our entire stay to be just superb. Prior to making our reservation I read previous reviews. I now know that previous comments of poor & terrible are pure nonsense. This hotel is beautifully furnished in every public area and the bedrooms/bathrooms are gorgeous. The large bar even has silk lined walls! All of the staff were most helpful and courteous. It seems to me that some people do not appreciate quality when they see it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Dear Valued Guests

Sir Stamford really appreciates your review, after a 5 night stay and with such travel experience it's good to know that we maintained our standards and delighted you.

You do have an eye for detail with your observation of the silvery blue/grey silk wall fabric in The Bar. The silk walls in The Lobby and Elizabeth rooms have just be replaced / restored by an authentic craftsman we had to fly into Sydney. Having so many antiques and fine art around the hotel does require constant care and our maintenance team are proud of the preventative programme we operate.

Choosing a hotel is often very difficult from the otherside of the world and we do appreciate that guest photos and reviews such as yours definitely help to discover the smaller more personal hotels that would not have the opportunity to thrive without the benefits of the internet.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The PERFECT LOCATION FOR Circular Quay. BEAUTIFUL facility with helpful, friendly staff. We are so very happy we stayed here. I will now be looking for Stamford Hotel where ever we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Debbie in Louisville Kentucky, USA

Room Tip: Request a room with a view, ( Opera House, Circular Quay, etc) or no view in particular will save yo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Kentucky Guests

Thank you so much, we appreciate your very high praise. Sir Stamford at Circular Quay is a unique property in a perfect location that is ideal for visitors to Sydney. However the hotel has a very lovely mix of locals, interstate visitors and international guests - it's large enough (105 rooms) to provide interesting spaces yet small enough to feel personal.

With 4 gorgeous meeting spaces we also have small incentive groups from all over the world and every week a wedding or two - this mix of business gives the hotel a broad variety of interesting guests, Watchihg elegant Sydneysiders sip High Tea in the historic Bar or Lobby is almost an attraction in itself.

We look forward to your return
Heather idoine
Generla Manager
Walnut Creek
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Our twin bedded room was on the 6th floor and had a "french" balcony looking toward the harbor. (see photo) We had a partial bridge view. The french windows opened. The room was spacious, air conditioning worked well and the room was beautifully appointed. The bathroom was very spacious too and had a tub shower. Bathrobes were provided without our asking. I appreciated that there was ample counter space for all the medications and toiletries seniors may bring with them!
The hotel wifi was problematic and unreliable even in the lobby. It didn't work in our room. The room's hard wire computer connection was the old fashioned Ethernet type and wouldn't work with our modern laptop.
Hotel staff service was excellent everywhere and there was no charge for printing boarding passes in the business center. The computer in the business center was free - very nice! The concierge desk could become busy at the usual times, morning and evening; and sometimes it seemed slightly understaffed.
Breakfast was wonderful in the hotel. I couldn't have asked for a nicer experience or better hotel location prior to sailing. We could walk to the ship had it not been for all our luggage.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbor view room on a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your tip - to ask for a hgh harbour view room if visiting Sydney for the first time.

Our business centre use has changed over the past few years as it's now mainly used for both leisure and business guests wanting to print out emails or boarding passes - and yes we don't charge for the paper. And Yes the internet is free in the business centre and lobby.

Hope your cruise was as good as your stay with us.