“Above expectations”

GreenLeadersGold level
Central Coast, CA
“Above expectations”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Our room was spacious and charming. It is an older hotel, but it is clean and the staff were very helpful. We stayed two nights and used a shuttle service for transportation to the hotel. It cost $14 per person each way. We bought our ticket in the airport.

The location is perfect. As others have said, we walked to the Opera House, the Harbor and took a ferry to Manly. We walked through the Royal Botanic Gardens that are right across the street. We took a city tour on the Hop On, Hop Off bus and we didn't see any hotel that we would have preferred.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Valued Guests

We are so pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Sir Stamford is a charming hotel, filled with interesting guests and staff who care about the guest experience. You have highlighted one of our best assets - our location.

The original Health Department building dates back to 1897 and is Federation style, indeed the facade is often photographed as it is very aethestically pleasing. It became a hotel in 1990 and opened as a Australia's first and only Ritz Carlton. This rich heritage has rewarded us with a plethora of fine arts, furniture, marble and chandeliers.

Very plesed to hear you used so much local transport - Sydney is very easy to get around and our hotel is such a wise choice for acessing it.

Kind regards,
Heather Idoine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 16, 2011

The Sir Stamford Circular Quay has an excellent location just minutes from the opera house and Circular Quay and right across from the Botanical Gardens. While minutes away from all the excitement, it is relatively quiet and peaceful without throngs of tourists crowding it. The decor is old world royal with lots of gold and velvet but it's charming. The rooms are very spacious and the bathrooms well appointed. The staff means well, but doesn't always seem like they know what's going on. For some reason they thought we had two rooms reserved and had the wrong check out date. But after a few minutes confusion it was all figured out. And they did leave us a nice bottle of sparkling wine for our honeymoon. The infinity pool on the roof was gorgeous though weather permitted us from using it. Also while we were there, a wedding was being hosted in the hotel. We never heard any noise from the celebration nor were overwhelmed with people. My only complaint was the cost of breakfast. While most hotels charge ridiculous amounts; I was a bit shocked at the bill for $70 for two people for what amounted to scrambled eggs and sausages. I would definitely stay there again mainly for the incredible location.

Dear Valued Guests

Congratulations on choosing Sir Stamford for your Honeymoon. We are delighted that you featured our excellent location just minutes from the opera house and Circular Quay and right across from the Botanical Gardens. in your positive review of our beautiful boutique 105 room hotel.

Our decor is defintiely not modern - in fact some of our furniture is several hundreds of years old, Our lovely marble bathrooms - many with the generous over sized bath are a feature of the original fit out - amazing quality throughout.

Our heated pool on Level 5 is outdoors, and is not a true infinity pool, as it is enclosed, but as the spring turns to summer - the loungers are being used for those that have the time to spare.

Our full buffet breakfast is $35 per person inclusive and includes a small but delicious selection of breakfast treats and guests can order eggs any way they like, enjoy the park view, the chandeliers and the peace and quiet of a small Dining Room and attentive service. We also provide excellent coffee, papers and free internet in this room.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2011

After reading reviews and seeing all the high rankings given to the Stamford, my partner and I decided to book a 3 night stay for our weekend-away to Sydney and were extremely excited about our trip. However, it is unlikely that we would visit the Stamford again.

First, we pre-requested a King Bed and we entered the room to find 2 doubles much to our dismay. We advised front desk, and the representative advised us that this was subject to availability. While this is a valid point and we could have accepted this if she had offered to check if there were any available King rooms for the next 2 nights, she instead told us there was nothing she could do, with an attitude that screamed "So Deal With It". Dejected, we went back up to the room, and upon discussion, we decided to follow up the matter and requested a search for available beds, and it was only then that they confirmed that they could move us to a King bed for the next 2 nights.

I would now disclaimer that after this incident, the next list of cons may be extremely nit-picky. Please take my petty list with a grain of salt.

The CONS - The shower in the first room was also not cleaned properly, and there was still facial scrub still smeared on the walls. The ice machine was broken on our level. We sought to order an "On-Demand" movie and the feature was not working for our TV - however we must commend the staff on their great efforts to try to fix this and troubleshoot it with the tech support people (but could not be resolved). Room-service food was average for the quality of the hotel (though the wedges were awesome). I booked the hotel (female) - but all documentation stated "Mr" and staff kept addressing my partner as me (I have a unisex name).

The PROS - Apart from the original front desk representative, the staff were very helpful and friendly (particularly the Scottish frontdesk manager), huge rooms, the beds were extremely comfortable, the bathrooms were impressive and the location to Circular Quay and the Rocks was great.

Dear Valued Guests

I must agree with you, staff need to be empatheitc to room configuration requests and I am very suprised that your request was not actioned. Likewise the gender bias with your greetings - that annoys me very much. I do try and set the example for my team. However training and role modelling takes persistence and I will work hard to address this and your other concerns.

Charming Marty, our Scottish Assistant Manager, is truly a great guest advocate as our 3 other AM's who hail from Brazil, New Zealand, and the Phillipines. In fact we have over 30 nationalities working in our team. It was good to hear they did assist with your movie difficulties - much more tech savvy than staff were or needed to be in the past. They sort out many an I Pad or mobile.

I am glad you appreciated our huge rooms, and oversized King beds which provided you with our best asset - a good nights sleep.

Kind regards and thank you again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Stumble to the world famous Opera House, or stroll to Circular Quay and catch a ferry to manly, or hit the many nightspots around the Rocks..this is a perfect location in a stylish older hotel that is as comfortable as your favourite coat! Clean rooms, super courteous staff that meet you on the road and take care of your luggage. A terrific bar, more like a gentlemen's club with comfy seats and try to stump the barman with cocktail requests. Classy and convenient.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear with panorama over the Quay and Harbour Bridge.
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank SteveS14
SSCQManager, Guest Relations Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

We do love your turn of phrase - as you have captured out hotel perfectly... "this is a perfect location in a stylish older hotel that is as comfortable as your favourite coat!"

And best of all we do love your description "Classy and Convenient."

On behalf of all my colleagues, a big thank you for recognising our courtesy to guests,

Kieran Codd
Chief Concierge
Guest Relations Champion
Queen Creek, Arizona
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We wanted to send a follow up thank you to the Staff at the Sir Stamford Cirular Quay. It was our first time visiting your lovely city and our stay at the Sir Stamford made it a truly enjoyable stay. We spent 4 nights and our room view was more than expected with a view of the bridge and the Opera Hourse. Location was perfect to walk, catch buses or water ferries to seeing the city sites. We arrived at 6 am to the city and with our room not ready were offered the use of the hotel gym facilities to freshen with a shower and then the storage of bags, which allowed us to start our discovery of the the city right away. Our only disappoint may have been with the hotel food, not great and very spendy. We will forever remember our time in Sydney and our stay at Sir Stamford

Room Tip: Request a great room with a view. We did and were not disappointed !,
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
SSCQManager, General Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Valued Guests

On behalf of my 109 colleagues, we thank you for taking the time to record your positive experience of your time in Sydney. It is very important to us, that visitors do enjoy every moment of their stay, are comfortable and we strive to meet their needs and individual requirements. We are blessed with such an historic location, adjacent to the Botanical Gardens and Benelong Point - this area is rich with both Aborigine and early settler history. A walk through the gardens reveals much of the history of the indigenous Eora peoples.

We do endorse your recommendation - Sir Stamford does have some very special suites with decks and balconies that are on higher floors with views in both (or either) direction of our harbour and city.

KInd regards
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This hotel is different to the shiny new ones but is a pleasant change. 5 mins walk to Circular Quay and the Opera House. Very easy to catch a train from the airport for only $15 rather than a taxi for $50.
Rooms are large and comfortable. Breakfast good and room service great! Very friendly and helpful staff. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Mazla
SSCQManager, Guest Relations Manager at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

We do applaud you for identifying the train trip from the airport terminal, which is a privately run public transport track. and certainly ideal for travellers with good wheels on luggage - or who are travelling light. We ocassionally find some guests can struggle up the small hill from the Circular Quay station (Albert Street) if they have lots of luggage. But one of my team can always run down with a trolley if we we are called - just phone the hotel on 9252 4600.

Yes our rooms are comfortable and ideal for a longer stay as they are so spacious.

Thank you again for identifying our location, our team at Concierge and indeed all our staff are briefed on the transport and touring options for guests who want to take advantage of Sydneys excellent public transport - from the delights of a water taxi to a bus to Bondi.

Keiran Codd
Chief Concierge
Guest Relations Champion
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 2, 2011

When I was in Sydney last time I stayed at the Park Hyatt, but since they were undergoing renovations I decided to stay at the Sir Stamford, mainly because of the reviews on Trip Advisor. While I do think it was a lovely hotel, it was a bit reserved for my style and they seem to service an older, more opulent clientele than I’m used to hanging with. A couple of times I almost expected some of the guests to tell me to fetch their bags, which of course says far more about the guests than the staff. The staff were very helpful and friendly and were very quick to resolve the few problems I had with my room. The first problem was the safe was not working and so even after a change of batteries they had to send the electrician up to fix the safe, after that it worked fine but again these things happen. The other problem with the room was on the first night when I came back to the hotel the electronic key slot seemed to have gotten loose and wouldn’t let me into the room. At first the staff member who was helping me assumed it was my mistake (I had, had a few beers so I can’t really blame him) but once he realized it was actually the door problem and not a buzzed guest he called the electrician and had it fixed immediately. This is a very nice hotel but I am just not classy enough to feel comfortable staying in a place like this. I believe the next time I’m in Sydney I’ll probably head on back to the Park Hyatt which is more my style. But if I did want to do a romantic get away weekend I would probably choose the Sir Stamford, but not if I were traveling alone. Also, they had an excellent club sandwich.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank ramblinAmerican
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for your humerous review and your delightful recommendation of our club sandwich. We do so look forward to having you return for a romantic weekend - you very astutely recognised the value of our property as the perfect Sydney Hotel for couples. The balconies, the leafy tree lined street, the fireplaces, the cosy piano bar and the feeling of intimacy yet still being in the heart of the city.

But partygoers do not be deterred - there are many evenings when the guest mix reflects the contemporary visitor, it does just depend on the timings. Sir Stamford at Circular Quay is a boutique hotel with one of the countries largest private art collections and this influences many in their accommodation decision (apart from the great location).

Once again we do appreciate your insight and thank you again for taking the time.