“Very good hotel let down a bit by a couple of small slip ups”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #33 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 24, 2007

The Sheraton on the Park is a rather nice and well run hotel. It would be near perfect but for a couple of small slip ups.

Located in the city close to two MRT stations it can be easily reached from the airport in less than 20 minutes by train. The location right at Hyde Park is excellent.

The hotel itself is well appointed. The entrance with the staircase is pretty and one of the nicer entries I have seen. Everything in the public areas was clean and well organized, a clear sign for a well run hotel.

My room was smallish but the furniture was new and the white blinds are nice touch (rather than the huge drapes often found).

The gym is spacious and well equipped with some of the better machines on the market. A letdown was that the free weights were rusty. Using them resulted in rust-stained hands. The opening hours also could a bit longer.

The hotel has an excellent lounge on the 21st floor. The food and drink selection is far better than anything I have experienced in North America. Staff was highly attentive.

But Internet and printing access in the lounge - the business center closes at 5:30 pm - were unbelievably complicated or dysfunctional. Half of all the people using the PCs needed staff support just to go online. The wireless access signal dropped off half a dozen times per hour. Printing on the available HP Laserprinters produced 1 page per minute (these printers can print 10+ pages a minute) - if it worked at all. During six hours in the lounge, I saw no-one else printing anything out successfully.

Anyone who does not need to use the hotel's office facilities can have a great stay. Having to work can make the stay a tad strained.

• Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank travelcomments
There are newer reviews for Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

Reviewed February 9, 2007

I stayed in this hotel on a 2 night business trip and loved it. For future trips, I will try to stay here as well (when my budget will allow it).

I can not fault the location - it is right across from Hyde Park, next door to David Jones, and a short stroll down to King Street Wharf.

The rooms are clean and spacious. There are gorgeous prints on the walls and a very comfy sofa in the room. I even had a walk in robe, which meant that the room felt more like home as I could close the door on my suitcase and clothes. The airconditioning works well and bathrooms are spacious and clean.

The foyer is very spacious. Check in and out was efficient and the staff are helpful. The restaurant downstairs is very good for breakfast, with a fantastic buffet available.

I put the hire car into valet parking during my stay, and the concierge was very helpful and even pointed out to me that I had a flat tyre on the car - and then offered to get it pumped up for me. So helpful!

I can highly recommend this hotel for business and holiday makers.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank p0ppet
Reviewed January 28, 2007

My wife and i had 3 nights and loved the style of the rooms, seperate bath and entire bathroom was excellent. Great location for shopping.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank JimmySMelbourne
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We recently stayed here for the weekend and had a great time. The hotel is beautiful in every aspect. We had a large corner room overlooking Hyde park with great views. The views from the roof top pool and spa are unbelievable, and make it easy to relax. The staff were very proffesional, however not overly friendly. They always remembered which room we were staying in, and were very polite, however you did not feel as though you could develop a repore with them. The meals were excellent, even if they were a little over priced. Overall a great hotel, in one of the best locations in Sydney.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arfurcanberra
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton on the Park in Jan 07 and have been thoroughly disappointed with the Hotel. Upon our check out we were shocked to find (on our card statement) that the Hotel had charged us twice for the same room at varying rates. Naturally, one telephones the Hotel to give them the opportunity to correct the problem which we did. After speaking with a reservation staff member, I was informed that they needed to contact a Manager and they would call me back as soon as possible. As the amount on my card which had been tied up needed to be used, I enquired with them as to whether the call would be sometime that night. I was assured that this would happen. Alas no call was received and in fact none was forthcoming the following morning. I had to then follow up again after lunch the next day and was given some spiel about an error being made and they could not do anything about it for a few days. This was completely ridiculous. No real apology or anything. When I enquired as to why I never got a phone call to explain, I was just informed that they did not know. Again no apology. Apparently a Manager is going to call me but I am not holding my breath- they did not really seem to be interested in the problem. I note from this forum that others have also been overcharged so it seems to be a consistent problem for this one star customer service establishment. I could not recommend this Hotel to anyone quite frankly.

• Stayed: January 2007
5  Thank baswitzer
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Great location, very comfortable room, great dining.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2007

Stayed at Sheraton on the Park over a busy New Years period in Sydney and had a great stay.

The common areas are impressive. Upon entering the hotel, the grand staircases in front of you are beautiful. I was even a bit lost in the front section as to where check-in was, but soon found it.

The check-in agent wasn't that friendly - I'm sure most of them are, but mine wasn't. I asked about an upgraded room (SPG Plat) but he said that this time of year it's near impossible - asked for a Hyde Park View room and again, no can do. Not the agent's fault and they were booked out but he just seemed a bit too quick to move on to getting me checked in and away from the counter.

Once I had my room key, I made it to the 14th floor, as the agent mentioned, only to find that there was no room number on my check-in card. So back down I went to the agent and he apologized and wrote it on there.

Once IN the room, I was impressed. The renovations are wonderful - there are warm brown finishes with crisp white linen, and the bathrooms are very clean and modern (see photo). Internet access was an astounding $A24.95 a day, but the connection was fast and reliable. The 'black-out' blind that can be drawn at the touch of a button are a great idea.

I also had a chance to use the work out facilities on the top floor and they are very good by hotel standards. There were plenty of people using the pool, and the gym itself was free for Starwood elite members which was a nice touch. The Executive Lounge looked spacious with a great view, however I didn't go in.

All in all, a great stay and, despite the minor check-in blunder, I would stay here again. Incidentally, as I left the hotel one evening, Paris Hilton was on her way back in. So if it's good enough for a Hilton to stay at a Starwood property...

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business