“Lovely stay”

Ranked #32 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Darwin
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, close to everything you would want, shops, harbour, Town Hall, Chinatown, Capitol Theatre. We arrived very early in the morning and was not expecting our room to be ready, only had to wait a few hours and managed to get an early check-in which was great as we were very tired and it probably wasn't a very good look sleeping in the foyer area!! We didn't have any meals at the hotel as we prefer to walk around and sight-see. Our room was nice and large, loved the size of the bathroom and the walk-in-wardrobe. Staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear troppozone,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park and for taking the time to review your stay. I’m delighted to note we were able to accommodate your early check in and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,050)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Blue Mountains, Australia
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed there last Sunday night for my husband's birthday. I booked a city view executive room, but it was really a building wall view room. Considering we were SPG members, and I'd told them it was a birthday, I really thought we'd be upgraded, or at least put on a floor where we could see the city from our city view room. Not even a bottle of bubbly.
We'd booked dinner at the buffet. My husband is not mad about seafood, but can usually find a tasty meat alternative. He's not fond of lamb chops, what can I say? No roast of the day? Maybe we should have had a counter meal at the pub down the road. It would have been a darn sight cheaper. A glass of domestic sparkling was $20!!! Really??? And it finally arrived halfway through the meal. Oh yes, and the house-guest discount (which made the dining choice attractive) was abolished last week. Sorry about that. After going to some trouble over the phone, in my night attire after dinner, I did manage to secure a SPG discount, not as generous as the now-defunct one, but a discount all the same. But yes, I had to go to the trouble to make the enquiries and procure the discount.
To be fair, the room was very nice (if you didn't look out the window). And breakfast on Level 21 the next morning was awesome - the saving grace. But I certainly didn't feel the love.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colleen W
Dear Colleen W,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and for also completing our Online Guest Satisfaction Survey. Please note our guest rooms are categorised as “City Side” and not City View Rooms however, our sincere apologies for the disappointment caused, also with our Food and Beverage offerings. We certainly value our SPG Members nevertheless complimentary room upgrades are subject to availability; we endeavour to meet the room requirements of our guests at all times however during periods of high occupancy this can often be difficult to achieve, especially as our hotel does experience very high occupancy. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and reinstall your confidence in the Sheraton on the Park.
london
Reviewed April 17, 2014

WI - FI !!
For the life of me I do not understand why it's not offered as a free service .. Full stop ! This in not the first issue with Australian hotels so the Sheraton is not alone here. You can get free WI- FI for 1 hour a day but the codes keep changing so you have to go to the front desk and ask what it is for the day. Should you log - out for any reason unlucky as your hour is a continuous hour and your done... Evert eatery offers it free so why not our 5 star hotels ? There was also a huge conference in town when we stayed so one brekkie was our outside the breakfast room and it was difficult to get served at the bar so we left and spent our hard earned elsewhere.. Rant over.
What we are left with is a superb hotel.
1) Location
2) Staff
3) Rooms - Huge with excellent sleep quality and bathroom to match with excellent products.
4) Rooftop pool and spa.

It's not all bad !
The thing is that's why we use Tripadvisor.. To advise and make helpful comments.. Some bad but that's what it's all about ...I know the Hotel manager reads these reports so hopefully he can digest and act accordingly. Me ? I'd personally put the room rate up by small no - one would mind.. It's a great place to stay after all .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank LondonLockwood
Dear LondonLockwood,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback which I will be sure to take on board and appreciate your positive points raised as well.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I booked a Classic Room through the hotel's website, and as an SPG member was offered an upgrade to a Club Room for 50 A$. This was good value.

The hotel is very well located alongside Hyde Park, slap in the middle of the CBD and shopping area and just a few steps from the St James underground train station, from where you can catch the airport express trains. Very convenient!

Large, comfortable, well appointed room and beautiful marble bathroom with separate shower. Amenities were typical Sheraton. Excellent bed and linen.

I took advantage of the cocktail hour in the club lounge, which has wonderful views across the park to the harbour beyond. The evening snacks buffet was excellent with oysters, smoked salmon, cold cuts, mini sandwiches, cheeses, deserts. You really don't need dinner after this. Very good service from lounge staff.

I took breakfast in the club lounge rather than the main restaurant, which was also good although obviously less extensive than the full buffet.

Check out was quick and efficient.

A very pleasant stay and greatly preferable to the Swissotel where I had stayed earlier. Highly recommended, and if you get a chance to up-grade to a a Club Room, take it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank savvy_dave
Dear savvy_dave,
I greatly appreciate your kind words and 5 Star Rating, particularly from a Top Contributor of Tripadvisor. Our Sheraton Club Lounge certainly has wonderful food and beverage offerings with amazing views of the Sydney Harbour to make for a most enjoyable stay at the Sheraton on the Park.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We always love staying at Sheraton on the Park. It is a beautiful establishment with top notch service. Upon our most recent stay, they recognised my partner's Gold status with complimentary parking - a touch that will ENSURE our return. We have tried the other 5-star hotels in Sydney CBD, but will now only return to Sheraton on the Park. Also, the room service is delicious and VERY quick! Thanks again !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Gee W,
Thankyou for returning to the Sheraton on the Park and for your wonderful feedback. I’m delighted you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your speedy return.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed here for one night. I had an odd experience.

Check-in was very slow--there was a long line and, despite the line, only two agents working the many computer stations at the front desk. Agent was apologetic for the wait, at least.

Upon check-in, agent originally told me I was getting a king room on a high-floor--I had reserved a king room and high-floor is my listed preference with Starwood. He then made a big deal of giving me an "upgrade" to a "park view" room, asking if it was OK if this room had "two beds." I said this was fine.

Some upgrade. The room had two TWIN beds, was on the fifth floor (a floor with offices and meeting rooms), and the much-discussed "park view" was, in fact, a view of the roof over the main lobby, not Hyde Park. Just because something is on the park side of the hotel does not mean it is a "park view." Room had a somewhat odd layout with tiny closets. Bathroom was very nice and well-appointed; most furnishings were in good condition.

I had an early check-out for a flight the next morning; check-out was efficient and polite.

Overall, fine...but I don't care for lots of "upgrade" oohing and awwing at the front desk if the room is not, actually, an upgrade. Thought hotel was expensive; expected less average service for the price paid.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear brmusicman,
I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to provide such a thorough review of your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and apologise we did not meet your expectations in terms of room allocation.
UK
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business and pleasure trip. I really liked the location of the hotel close to Hyde Park and in easy walking distance of Darling Harbour and the central shopping and business district. Circular Quay is about a 20 minute walk with The Opera House and Sydney Harbour bridge to see. I really liked the entrance area and the warm welcome from the staff. The room was adequate if a little tired. However I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear CoolReviews,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park on your trip to Sydney. Our location is indeed convenient for all types of visitors and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back when your travels return you to our shores.