“Back to its' best”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #24 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My previous review (about a year ago) was not flattering. We had stayed in a suite, and found its' value wanting.
This time, however, we really made the most of what this hotel can offer, and had a fantastic value-packed experience.
Despite how booking sites, etc, rate this property; it is NOT a top-of-the-line 5-star property. It is a very good 4-star hotel. If you pay the appropriate rate, your expectations will be exceeded.
Our rate was $250AUD. For this we received: An excellent, mid-sized room; free parking; buffet breakfast for two. When you realise parking in Sydney can be exorbitant, you're already in front with this kind of rate. The breakfast, is, as usual, high standard. We invited some friends to join us, and I was pleasantly informed that I could use my Starpoints to cover.
The lobby was busy, but what else would you expect, during Christmas, when the hotel was at capacity. I could overhear the front desk staff dealing with some guest issues, courteously, and hopefully, efficiently.
I am pleased to say, that the Sheraton has my business, again.

Room Tip: Save some dollars, don't get a parkside room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear thedjlee,
Im so pleased your return stay met your expectations and you had the opportunity to enjoy our “Stay, Park and Play” Package. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,128)

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Had to go to Sydney at the last minute so booked via Wotif to save time in locating hotels in the area I wanted- and to get the cheapest price. Booked the Sheraton on the Park for one night.
I was told on checking in (at about 8.30pm) that the king sized bedroom I had requested was not available because the hotel was "full". Then I was offered a room with a king sized bed overlooking the park (rather than the city) for an extra $50. The fact I had booked on Wotif was referred to a number of times. When I said, I didn't really need a king sized bed- a queen or even a double would suffice I was told none were available and I would have to take a room with 2 king single beds. Firstly, the hotel clearly wasn't full- and at 8.30pm how many more bookings were they going to get for that night? For the one night I was going to be there they should have just given me the "park view" king room and left me with a good feeling about the hotel. As it is, I have been left with a very nasty taste in my mouth about this hotel. I felt that the reception staff were at pains to make me feel like a cheap skate or a second class citizen because I had booked the room via Wotif. If Wotif is beneath the dignity of the Sheraton on the Park, then I do not know why they sell rooms through that Website. To top it all off, I had my worst night's sleep in a long time there. The young women staffing reception at this hotel get a 0 out of 10 for their attitude to me.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear traveller-eater,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing feedback you have provided. From reading your review I assume that a City Side King Room was confirmed via a third party website and upon arrival to the hotel, only City Side Twin Bedded Rooms were available. Please note there are only a limited amount of Queen Sized guest rooms in the hotel and we do not have Double Bedded rooms. The option of upgrading to a Hyde Park King Room was provided to you at the additional cost, however our apologies for the disappointment this caused. Please note for future stays, room types and special requests made via third party websites are not guaranteed and are subject to availability. This is per the terms and conditions stated at the time of booking as well as on the confirmation. Booking directly through the Hotel website at www.sheraton.com/sydney or through contacting us directly allows us far more opportunity to cater and specifically target your requirements as well as provide you with a guaranteed best rate. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences and disappointment caused as a result and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. Everything about this hotel if first class. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The service was excellent, the club access was worth the extra. All in all a most enjoyable stay. The only critism I would have is the house keeping still hadn't done our room when we went back at 3pm and then asked us if really wanted it done?

Room Tip: We had a city view room, but we were out most days so it didn't really matter. I would how ever...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bernhard L, Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Dear mezza57,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor; I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

The property is located right next to St. Jones station and 10 min walk to Opera house. I enjoyed staying here mostly for elite member benefits. Great selection for breakfast and evening high-tea is even better (includes oysters, 5-10 variety of desserts). Staff was very helpful and prompt.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear Abhinavaa,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park for your trip to Sydney. I’m delighted you enjoyed our Food & Beverage offerings and look forward to welcoming you back when your travels return you to our shores.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The best thing about the Sheraton on the Park is the location. However, there are so many other great things about this hotel! The hotel is opposite Hyde Park and backs onto David Jones and Centrepoint. It is only a few minutes walk to Pitt St Mall and the Queen Victoria Building and also a pleasant walk to Circular Quay and Darling Harbour. The hotel is also diagonally opposite St James Station, which has a direct link to Sydney Airport in fifteen minutes, making it one of the most convenient city hotels in Australia.

I had a feeling (that because of its age), that the hotel would feel dated- but this was not so. The grand three storey marble lobby is still grand, thanks to good design and fresh pieces of furniture. The reception staff were all professional and welcoming and the lobby had a wonderful aroma of fresh flowers. Our room was spacious and well equipped. Again, I thought the black marble bathroom would be dated, but not so- it was stunning! The rooms are more homely than cutting edge, but at least there was comfortable seating, (which is sadly lacking in some more modern hotels).

We did not have a swim, but the pool area looked good and had great views over the city and Hyde Park. All areas of the hotel were well presented. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and professional. The buffet breakfast was fantastic in both variety and quality - as good as the best hotel breakfasts that I ve had in Asia (they even had bread and butter pudding and a huge bowl of fresh Cherries).

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Dear cityhotelsightseeing,
What a fantastic review from such a happy guest of ours! I greatly appreciate your 5 star rating and wonderful feedback. Our location is definitely convenient for all types of travellers and our rooms the most comfortable you will find. The panoramic views from our rooftop pool and our wonderful associates make for a wonderful and memorable stay. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to being of continued service to you in the near future.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

This hotel was in a great location situated opposite/overlooking Hyde Park.
Close to shops and station and not too far to Darling Harbour to catch the ferry.

We had a fantastic 9 night stay here, incorporating a family wedding and Christmas Day.

The breakfast buffet was superb and the overall service outstanding.

The room was spotless and well serviced.

We would not hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room over-looking Hyde Park
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Veronica C,
I’m delighted to read your review and note your satisfaction from a 9 nights stay with us on such memorable occasions; we look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Sheraton on the Park in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Righ across the street from Hyde Park, and near a couple of train stations, this is a good spot for a business or leisure traveler. My room came with access to the breakfast and evening cocktail bar on the top floor, and both exceeded expectations. The breakfast buffet was varied, and included possibly the best granola I have ever tasted. The evening hors d'oeuvre bar was even better, with nice wines, champagne, a spirits bar, and good finger food, including some marvelous small oysters on the half shell. The staff is accommodating and friendly. I will definitely go back to this Sheraton.

Room Tip: The back rooms do not have the park view, but they are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Leighsscreenname,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park for your trip Down Under, I’m delighted we exceeded your expectations and agree – our Granola and Evening Canapés are delicious!