“A good stay, though not without it's issues....”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“A good stay, though not without it's issues....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was a good hotel. We had an 8 day stay with a King room, and interconnecting twin room for the children. We would stay again, but did have some issues.

CHECK IN: the staff member who greeted me at check in was clearly not interested in me as a guest and took no interest in the fact that I held Starwood Preferred Guest membership of a gold level. Did not offer me any of the benefits associated with holding gold level membership, even when I asked for them. For such a corporate city, this was a very "un corporate" welcome. And it was not appreciated. Asked for a higher floor (which again is a benefit of Gold level membership), and was told that NO floors above the level I was given had interconnecting rooms. This, of course, was a lie. Asked for a room upgrade (Gold level benefit), this was also refused. Only Sheraton I have stayed at when this was refused AND had to be asked for. Was not offered complimentary wifi in the room (another Gold benefit), and it took a written complaint to the front office manager to obtain this. All in all, a very poor check in experience.

LOCATION: Excellent. Situated across from the greenery of Hyde Park, and literally a stones throw from David Jones, Myer and a host of top end shops. Short walk to the Art Gallery, Darling Harbour, and a medium walk to Circular Quay.

ROOM: clean, very well appointed and comfortable. A reasonably sized room with generously sized bathrooms. The floor we were on had a very good view of the tree on the street and a glimpse of the park across the road from it. If we had a "city side" room with a view of the back of the building behind, I don't think we would have stayed. Would insist on a higher floor level for our next stay.

The beds were supposedly "Sheraton Sweet Sleeper" beds, a signature bed of comfort from Sheraton. Hardest bed we have ever slept on. The housekeeping staff attended to our request to soften the bed by adding an extra bed topper immediately and without any problem. This helped a bit, but we still found it hard.

STAFF: marked service points down due to the girl at the desk at check in. She was not rude, just disinterested, unwilling to help and clearly not trained sufficiently in dealing with guests of "Gold level preferred" status. Left a very BAD and LASTING impression. Housekeeping staff were excellent and took care of any request, likewise the Executive Club staff.

EXECUTIVE CLUB: Full marks here, for the club and the staff that run it. Definitely recommend to any guest that they pay the extra and get the use of the Executive Club benefits. Complimentary breakfast with plentiful hot foods, sausages, scrambled eggs, pastries, toast, cereals, fruit, tea, coffee, and juices. All in exceedingly generous supply. A wonderful start to the day. Non alcoholic drinks available throughout the day, and between 5 and 7.30, complimentary pre dinner drinks and canapés. The canapes were virtually a meal in themselves. Both hot and cold and again supplied with plentiful, generous excess. Same also for the complimentary wine, champagne and spirits.

POOL/SPA: excellent swimming pool on the top floor with a glass roof and spectacular city and harbour views. Good saunas and steam rooms and a balcony overlooking the park with views to the water.

As I said, we would stay here again. We did enjoy our stay, i would just be very careful to deal with senior staff before I arrive to ensure i will be offered the service and amenities I would expect from a hotel of this high calibre. Park View Room on higher floor would be a mandatory request for our next stay.

Room Tip: Only request a Park View room on a higher floor. And, use the excellent Executive Club.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bernhard L, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear abbiestar,
I appreciate your feedback, especially as a Top Contributor to Tripadvisor. Im pleased our Front Office Manager was able to assist you however greatly apologize for the disappointment that was caused. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to allow us the opportunity to re-instill your confidence in our Product, Service and Brand.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,008)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton on the Park whilst attending a work conference in Sydney in September this year. The room whilst it didn't have a park view was very well appointed with very comfortable beds and great amenities. The staff were so helpful and friendly whenever I asked for anything or made any enquiries. The location was the best thing of all. With the beautiful Hyde Park across the road you couldn't wish for more. So nice to walk across the road, sit on a bench and watch the world go by. Now if we're talking shopping, hello! Just walk around the corner to browse through hundreds of fantastic stores. I loved it. About 15 minutes walk and you're down at Darling Harbour where you will find some great bars and restaurants just buzzing with life.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Awesome.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear HTaylor13,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Sheraton on the Park whilst attending a Conference, and Im pleased you were able to unwind and enjoy all we have to offer!
Adelaide, AUS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is my go-to hotel when I'm in Sydney. I've lost count how many times I've stayed here. It is centrally located with very clean rooms, a very very comfy bed and a huge ensuite. Buffet breakfast is top notch as usual. Staff is always warm. Kudos to the young trainee who checked me and to his mentor (I forgot their names).

Room Tip: Needless to say, rooms in higher floors are always good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear vvbjr,
Glad to be your “go to” hotel and thank you for your loyalty and patronage. We look forward to being of continued service to you.
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Definitely would recommend the Sheraton on the Park for its location, well furnished rooms, buffet breakfast, excellent service and friendly staff. Our stay there helped make our mum/daughter weekend very enjoyable.

***Room***
Stayed for a couple of nights after attending a conference in another hotel. I had booked a cityview room but asked for a higher floor if possible. My mother checked in and the hotel rang me (I was at the conference) to confirm my mother was staying with me (booking was under my name) - points for good security. We were actually upgraded to a parkview room on a high floor. The room had a huge granite bathroom and a large wardrobe (in the corridor leading to the bathroom), so the room was pretty big. The room was comfortably furnished with an L-shaped sofa (could seat 3), coffee table, desk, 2 desk chairs and the usual TV/console/minibar/bar fridge set up. I initially found the bed a bit soft but by the second night, the bed felt very comfortable. My mother thought her bed was very comfortable from the first night. The room was clean, tidy and I looked like it had been recently refurbished. The parkview was nice to have (curtains could be pulled open and still be private, nice view of the park with its fountains and birdlife). I hadn't realised the cityview rooms looked directly into the next building's windows and the building looks very close. We heard very little street/hotel corridor noise in our room.

***Buffet restaurant***
We had a booking for the seafood buffet dinner on Friday night. Because I had a Starwood Privilege card, we paid half-price for 2 ($99). There were prawns (very good - firm, tasty, fresh), Sydney Rock oysters (small but very tasty), moreton bay bugs, crab, mussels, pipis, smoked salmon, hot dishes (fish, beef, chicken, roasts, freshly made pizzas, vegetables), salads and an array of desserts. I thought the quality overall was good but I wouldn't have it again unless I still had the Privilege card - it's pretty expensive (although seafood buffets seem expensive most places).

We had the buffet breakfast the next 2 mornings. There were yogurts, honeycomb, cereals, hot dishes (sausages, quiche, baked egg/sausage dish, roast veges, noodles, fried rice, rice porridge & condiments, pikelets, bread & butter pudding, eggs benedict, fresh fruit, tinned fruits, juices, coffee/tea, a cooking station for eggs, hash browns, omelets). Having the buffet breakfast meant we could enjoy a leisurely breakfast and not need to have lunch, so more time for shopping and sight-seeing (OK, mainly shopping!). I'd recommend the buffet breakfast as definitely good value (if you have the Privilege card - $23 per person), great choices and good quality and freshly cooked - the dishes are regularly replaced (even if the dish isn't empty).

***Staff***
All the staff we talked to were friendly, polite and provided excellent service. In particular, Vanessa in the Buffet restaurant went out of her way to look up my Starwood (free) membership number so our meals would be put against my account to earn points (I had forgotten to bring my card with me d'oh!). On the 2nd last day, I called the guest service line to ask if I could speak to reception as I wanted to see if we could extend our late checkout from 12pm to 3pm. Apparently reception doesn't take calls from rooms but the guest service line staff person extended our checkout herself. I didn't have to take the room keys downstairs to be reprogrammed - it was all very effortless. Checkout was quick and painless. I said we were happy to put the room on the credit card that had been used as security when we checked in and was presented with the itemised receipt - no mistakes, nothing else needed!

***Location***
Fantastic location if you want to be close to shops. Directly behind the hotel are the Galleries, the next block back is QVB, next door is David Jones and then Westfield shops. We also took the free bus that goes down Elizabeth St, down to Circular Quay, back up George St to Chinatown then around and back to Elizabeth St. It's a good way to get acquainted with the CBD layout - takes about 45 mins - 1 hour for the round trip. You can walk out through the back of the hotel to George St and lots of bus stops (we took a bus out to Roseberry - very convenient to be able to catch it from the hotel). If you want to visit the Rocks/Circular Quay then you can just hop on the free bus and it drops you off at Circular Quay.

Room Tip: Rooms with a parkview are very pleasant.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jessimon
Bernhard L, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear jessimon,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review of your mother/daughter getaway at the Sheraton on the Park. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and had such wonderful memories to write about. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Sheraton on the Park when your travels bring you back to Sydney!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had one night here and as Starwood hotel card holders we were given a room on the preferred guests floor. The room was large, comfortable and a lovely bath in the bathroom - no view but didn't bother us. Location was great - short walk to the botanic gardens and we also walked to China Town very easily. Service was excellent - would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you are a Starwood card holder make sure you show this at check-in
Dear citybreakfan1980,
I’m so delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton on the Park and was pleased with your room allocation. Our rooms are definitely the biggest you will find in Sydney CBD hotels and our bathrooms are indeed a talking point!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed a week there. Very easy to get to with subway service to/from the airport directly across the street at St. James station.
The room was very spacious and the hotel staff unobtrusive. The breakfast buffet was spectacular, along with the usual custom omelets was Japanese miso and noodles, charcuterie, fruit, nuts, just about everything.

Room Tip: We had an executive suite with Clubroom access and were very happy with it. The breakfast buffet is...
Dear LA-Backdoc,
Thank you for choosing Sheraton on the Park on your trip to Sydney from LA! Im delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and had the opportunity to try out our breakfast buffet in our signature restaurant Feast!
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Location is terrific for business, shopping, dining, sightseeing. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was terrific. Rooms are pleasant although we had a room with a door joining another and the young family in there were quite noisy. I suspect that wouldn't be so much of a problem if there was no joining door. There is really only one reason not to go back.... In this day and age, there should be no reason for a reputable establishment such as Sheraton to charge its valued customers for wifi. If they are receiving such a bad deal from their service provider they need to consider their negotiation skills, which leaves me to assume they are just using it as a way to squeeze a little more out of their loyal patrons. As the industry is starting to change, this will become a deal breaker for many.

2 Thank PrincessInTransit
Dear Gourmet_Traveller,
Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel and I greatly appreciate your constructive feedback as it continually allows us the opportunity to review and improve our service and facilities.