“We had a lovely overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton on the Park, Sydney

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #28 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“We had a lovely overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I booked a one night stay for a mid winter school holiday treat for myself and my 2 girls. This hotel is perfectly located for some shopping, has nice views over Hyde Park and when I found a well priced package including breakfast and parking it sounded perfect for us. The girls really enjoyed the proximity to shops and I would have loved to have taken them to the Australian Museum just across the park but we ran out of time. They enjoyed the swimming pool facilities, sadly its not particularly well heated but the adjoining spa and steam room made it warm enough to handle.

The room was pleasant, not spectacular at the basic room rate level but we had a nice view over Hyde Park and distant water views. The breakfast buffet was good, but we've had better here in Sydney, so I'd say its only worth it if its included in your room rate as $42 for a full breakfast is pretty steep! We did have a great coffee and snack right across the road at The Lobby Bar in Castlereagh St as well as an amazing dinner at Bambini Trust next door so I would definitely recommend both of those places.

Definitely a great location and a nice place to stay, so we would love to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SYDmelp
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear SYDmelp,
I’m delighted to read you had a great nights getaway on our popular “Stay, Park and Play” package. We look forward to welcoming you back to the warmth and hospitality of the Sheraton on the Park in the not too distant future.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (873)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel is gorgeous - you can't go wrong here. I stayed for work a few times and the service and rooms are absolutely fantastic. If you're looking for a luxury hotel in a prime downtown location, this is it. Everything is within walking distance and the views of the park are so nice. Breakfast is delicious (although the price is pretty high). Staff is welcoming and the rooms feel like a home away from home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea S
Dear Andrea S,
Thank you for your return stay at the Sheraton on the Park and great to hear you found our service and facilities of an excellent standard. We look forward to your return once again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I have stayed here a few times now and find it a bit hit and miss. Service and room quality in particular can be inconsistent. I think the room you get depends upon your booking agent/website - if you use the hotel it seems to be a better room; maybe this is just coincidence. Buffett breakfast is expensive and seems o be better on a week day than weekend. The location is great.
I will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Snowyfriend,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Booking through our Hotel website or contacting us directly allows us far more opportunity to cater and specifically target your requirements as well as provide you with a guaranteed best rate however this does not change the allocation of room or differ in the service we provide. My apologies for your disappointment also in our breakfast offerings however I am pleased to note you will return to the Sheraton on the Park to allow us the opportunity to re-instill your confidence in our Product, Service and Brand.
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here for four nights on business/pleasure in June 2013, after relocating from another property. The hotel is in a great location with views of Hyde Park and just a block away from the Westfield shopping center. It's a 15 minute walk to the Rocks. We had a beautiful and enormous corner room, with a gorgeous black marble bathroom. Breakfast was included in our rate (normally $42) and there was a huge selection of food for many different cultures (I don't think I would have paid for it if it wasn't included). I'd definitely recommend this property to anyone visiting Sydney.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Krissy1983,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor for all to view and enjoy. Im delighted to note you relocated to Sheraton on the Park and that we met all your expectations and hope to be of continued service to you in the near future!
Warm regards,
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location! Very short walk to Westfield/Sydney Tower, Pitt St mall etc, and across from the lovely Hyde Park. I shared a twin room with a friend, and although the view wasn't the nicest the room was great. Comfy beds, perfect amount of space for two people, writing desk, TV, lounge, and mini bar fridge that we could fit two drink bottles of our own in.

The bathroom was nice, but having a shower curtain instead of a door on the shower was quite irritating. Every single time I had a shower, no matter what I did to prevent it, half the bathroom floor got covered with water. The bath mat would get soaked and I'd have to be really careful not to slip. Not fun.

We ate breakfast there a few times, each time we were seated very quickly, and we really enjoyed our meals.

Our stay would have been almost perfect if it had not been for the unfortunate miscommunication regarding payment that we had to endure upon arrival. My friend went to pay with a debit card (neither of us aware of the problems not having a credit card would cause), and the lady at the desk kept making mistakes, putting the wrong number in, putting the payment through multiple times, making a huge deal about how difficult debit cards are to use vs. a credit card etc, until it got to the point where my friends daily limit had exceeded and we were forced to take a trip to her bank, which thankfully was around the corner.

The amount of money the lady had put through was all on hold, and waaaay more than we were meant to be paying. This was extremely frustrating and could have been dealt with in a much more professional manner. When we came back from the bank the lady was no where to be found, and we spent the next 3 hours trying to get an explanation from so many different people as to what would happen with the money they had taken from my friend.

Not once did anyone apologise. It was brushed off and we were made to look silly for caring. Not what we were expecting for such a luxurious and expensive hotel. All we got was a call from the manager when we got to the room, to finally apologise for the mistakes they had made. We were sort of expecting a bottle of wine or something, for the trouble they caused, but that didn't happen.

Luckily there were no other issues during our stay, and the money was returned to my friends account, although not until we got back from our trip...luckily she hadn't needed it while we were there!

The Sheraton is a lovely hotel, but after that negative experience I don't think I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Andrea S,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This literally is my second home and I have been staying here for years. Centrally located, near buses, trains, CBD business locations, retail and a quick trip from the hotel gets you onto all major traffic routes. Most of the staff are happy to assist and very welcoming. Rooms are always comfortable and clean. If you are a Gold + SPG member, you will get the occasional room upgrade (rarely) and a few bonuses.
My only reason for not giving full marks is that they often will price the regulars out if they have volume bookings from tourists, so their loyalty is questionable at times.

Room Tip: ask for a park view room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear MaxV870,
Im disappointed to note your feedback and can assure you we greatly value all our Starwood Preferred Members. We endeavour to meet the room requirements of all our guests however during periods of high occupancy this can often be difficult to achieve, and I am pleased to advise that our hotel has been experiencing very high occupancy. We hope to welcome you back to your “second home” in the not too distant future.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The best hotel I've stayed at.

The hotel room I booked was one of the smallest rooms this hotel has and I have to say it was too big for me.

Opposite of a lovely park this hotel is located in a fantastic location.

They have two entrances. You can enter through the front or if you want enter through the back.

The hotel is a 5 star hotel so everything was fantastic.

The only issue I have is the hotel has a 1.5 percent fee for credit cards.
I find this rather odd a 5 star hotel having to surcharge people 1.5% for credit cards. Neither could I find this information on their website.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank pandasoft
Dear pandasoft,
Thank you for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton on the Park. Please be advised that the credit card surcharge is a common industry practice amongst 5 Star hotels in Sydney and the greater Australian Hotel Industry. This practice is not restricted to the hotel industry and has been introduced across many industries within Australia. Starwood Hotels and Resorts is one of the last major hotel chains to introduce this fee in Australia. Our apologies for the disappointment caused and please note this information is available on our website. Sheraton on the Park accepts alternative method of payments where the fee would not apply, for example EFTPOS and Cash.