“The BEST hotel in Sydney ... by far”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Auckland, New Zealand
“The BEST hotel in Sydney ... by far”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

This hotel is simply fantastic.Its top class, and feels very very relaxing. The rooms are very well appointed, modern ... classy even. Service is great, location is great and absolutely competitive price.

Its my number 1 for Sydney.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good ... even those near the lift.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,031)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
uk
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Its five star and you expect five star for your money. We got it and would totally recommend this hotel. The rooms are great, big, clean and well equipt. The location is excellent for the shops and Darling Harbour and near a train station. The service we received was excellent and cannot fault anything about our two day stay. It is not a cheap hotel but delivers fuive star and thats all you can ask. We will stay again and recommend to all.

Room Tip: Rooms at back dont have great views but very quiet and prefer that to traffic noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Located in the centre of the CBD, this hotel is well positioned for the business traveller.
The bed is very firm and comfortable. The shower is hot and strong. The furnishings are plush but also functional.
The marble bathroom is huge and boasts a good sized bath and large shower.
The negatives?
My room has a view directly into the offices of the Stockland building.
The service could be described only as adequate.
I've stayed in better hotels in Sydney and for the price you would expect free intenet and a higher level of service.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ozgypsy
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My first visit to this hotel was in 1997 when it was a WOW !!! In 2012 - I see signs of ageing and a need for a change with the times ; nevertheless - having stayed a week earlier at the Westin, I decided to return back to the Sheraton on the Park and found it a great hotel for a night or two - at least the room was spacious, great bathroom ... at $260, much better value than Westin's $320-$400++ smaller room.Breakfast was good - lots on offer - small disappointment when after my first espresso - having asked for a second one , the stern waiter checks a slip left by previous waiter and says in an authoritative manner - "you've had one already, right? Next one will be charged!" Perhaps if he had said it nicer ... I would have paid , but it was the next door Bambini Trust cafe that got my money. After countless stays in Asian hotels where one can have unlimited coffees ... sad to see the Australian counterpart charging for that little extra shot ...

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights at a company conference and although there was nothing specific lacking, it didn't feel particularly luxurious. Certainly wasn't up there with the best hotels in which I've stayed, especially for the price (9 AUSD for water, 150 AUSD for late checkout etc). The swimming pool is pleasant but a lot smaller than I expected. Location is great but the building, entrances and views are all pretty average. Bathroom is nice, bedroom is fine, breakfast had good options. The interior soundproofing of the hotel is maybe what really put me off, it sounds as if anyone walking down the corridor is halfway into your room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hayman Island, Australia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you love seafood this is the place to go as they offer a great Buffet!!! They have great staff members who are very friendly and welcoming! They have a good wine list which is very important for a 5 star hotel to have!

It's close to public transport, QVB building, Oxford Street and CBD!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My friend and I stayed at Sheraton On the Park for 4 nights. We picked this hotel over the Westin because the price was more attractive (did the prepaid deal) and read good reviews here. The location was central (next to St. James station, minutes from Circular Quay) and 5 minute walk to Town Hall station, 10 minute walk to Darling Harbour, very close to shopping areas, clubs and bars in downtown. Our room was a 2 twin-bed room facing Hyde Park which offered a great view and morning sun. It was also the food festival at that time and we got to sample various Asian foods at Hyde Park. As SPG Gold we took the free internet as the welcome package.

Room: spacious, great shower (jet power) and bathroom, nice to have an electric kettle. We did early check-in so we were not on a SPG floor. Huge safe for storing valuables and laptops. Good selection of glasswares for wine and other beverages. We did not use the minibar but it was well stocked.

Amenities: Gym was on 22nd floor and offered good variety and # of equipment. The pool was a nice addition but it was on the smaller side and is not meant to be a lap pool. There're also balconies on the gym floor to look out to Hyde Park. We didn't use the spa located on the same floor.

Service: Room was cleaned and supplies were replenished daily. Housekeeping responded to our requests promptly for re-supply. Concierge, however, was mediocre at best. I lost a bag with souvenirs on the ferry and asked concierge to help and the guy just told me to call the number I provided. Well I wasn't going to use my mobile phone to call with roaming charges or use the room phone to call with charges. BTW, they say it's $1 flat rate per local call but I called a local # (e.g. BridgeClimb) and got charged a lot more, so beware (I got the charges removed). In another instance, the concierge just called the # for me and let me talk on the phone about the lost item right in front of him. So they weren't much of a help at all. A few of the reception staff whom we encountered were friendlier and made us feel more at ease.

Overall, my friend and I got the sense that service in Sydney in general were not very inviting and staff was not very flexible in accommodating special requests. In this case, the Sheraton was definitely at a great spot with solid amenities, but the mediocre concierge response to my need (and they were legit) really put a damper on my enthusiasm on this hotel. May try the Westin next time if I want to pick a Starwood chain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear GeeTee54321,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of our hotel. I am pleased to note your positive feedback and greatly appreciate your comments however apologise for the service shortfall experienced. Customer service is definitely an integral part of our job and I will be sure to brief our Concierge department regarding your feedback. While you have indicated that you may not return to the hotel, I hope that you will reconsider your decision and provide us another opportunity to showcase the warmth and hospitality of the Sheraton on the Park.

Warm regards,