“QUITE LOVELY, WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!!”

Sheraton on the Park, Sydney
Ranked #31 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
SYDNEY
“QUITE LOVELY, WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed for 1 Saturday night only. My Husband and I were there to celebrate our 10 year Wedding Anniversary on our own (time out!!).

I booked a package on their website for $309 (PARKVIEW KING ROOM, BREAKFAST FOR TWO & SELF PARKING). Seemed great value, as breaky is $42pp & parking $45.
Booking was an easy transaction. We received an email straight away confirming our booking & also another email two days prior to the date to re-confirm our booking!! Wow this Hotel is on the ball!!

We were not disappointed.
Easy parking being guided by the Hotel Staff through the basement, then a quick lift to the Lobby/Reception.
Check in was easy enough, and the lady that served us was very friendly even though she did have a very strong asian accent!! She asked were we here on hols or a special occassion and we told her about our Anniversary, so she handed us a written note from the Hotel to have a complimentary glass of wine each in the Conservatory Bar. - very nice touch!!

When we opened the door to our room we were hit with a wonderful fresh citrus scent. Quite welcoming I think!!
Our Room had a Park View from the small bay window. The other window was facing the Hotel, so I had to keep the curtains closed at all times, as I noticed that I could see clearly into the other rooms - and obviously they could do the same into our room!!! LOL....
The room itself was a little small I thought. Maybe because our bedroom at our home is twice the size, but I suppose its a little bigger than a standard main bedroom. I think the feeling of small was because it was quite congested. It had an L-shape couch, with an office table & large long buffet that had a small plasma & fridge attached. The furnishing was good quality, so it looked very beautiful. The bed was very confortable, and the pillows nice & luxurious. It would have been great if the tv was a little bigger, as we watched a midnight movie (and as ours at home is a 54") and I felt I needed to sit close to capture the movie!!
The bathroom is really really beautiful. Love the all black!! Its quite glamorous!!!! Just a pity it didn't have a tv by the bath....that would have topped it off!!!!! I used the shampoo & conditioner - and they were quite good products. The shower was large & so too was the bath.
The tea/coffee facility was fantastic. The variety of teas available was heaven!! I love my tea, and I love all types too - they had green tea, earl grey & english breakfast. Also there was decaf coffee - which my hubbie loves. There was even two Jarrah Choc sachets, consumed by us during our midnight movie!!

Breakfast buffet was to die for!!!! I was in heaven!!!!
The variety was endless!! From cereals, variety of yogurts, fresh cut fruit & fresh juices. Hot food included fried eggs, Eggs Benedict, sausages, hash browns, baked beans, baked tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms & lots lots lots more. It has an Omelette station - the chef makes your own to your taste!! The pastries were delicious, around 8 different varieties!! Lots of different breads to toast & rolls too. There was a mini freezer with two gelato flavours - the vanilla pod gelato was delicious with a pastry!!
I ate like a Queen!!!
There was even a fresh brewed coffee pot on our table when we arrived - very nice touch!!
Or if you preferred, any type of tea or coffee (latte's, caps, macchiatos etc) available upon request & included.

Botanica Brasserie Seafood Buffet never came close to the variety available for breakfast. And I do have to say (sorry Sheraton) but I don't rate it at all. We were so disappointed!! I wanted to know where was the Calamari, Octopus & more!! See my review on Botanica Brasserie.

But as for the Hotel, its very charming, very clean, great service & lovely atmosphere.

For travellers staying in Sydney, this is a great Hotel to stay, especially for location!!. Close to most of the tourist things to see & do in Sydney. Across from HYDE PARK. 2min walk to DAVID JONES. 4min walk to MYER & the new WESTFIELDS (must see - very nice - great food court upstairs). For the romantics only 4min walk to TIFFANY & CO!! 10min walk to THE ROCKS, 5-7min walk to OPERA HOUSE & CIRCULAR QUAY (where all the ferries are available). 1min walk to ST JAMES STATION. 15min walk to SYDNEY AQUARIUM & SYDNEY WILDLIFE PARK, & DARLING HAROUR!! Across from ST MARY'S CATHEDRAL, 15min walk to BOTANICAL GARDENS etc.

Totally recommend this gorgeous hotel, quite charming & good value I say!!

Room Tip: Opt for a Park View Room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MIA1968

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,019)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Zealand
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for two nights with a breakfast and late check out package costing AUD$230 per night. Room was large, well appointed and well presented but had an unattractive close view of the next door office building. Staff were pleasant and helpful. The free computers/internet access in the lobby are useful although there is no WiFi available in the rooms.

The location is great for both business and pleasure travel and the free CBD bus which stops more or less outside the hotel is a good way to get to Circular Quay and elsewhere.

This is probably not a true five star hotel (no night turndowns etc) but is certainly a very good four and a half stars. Breakfast was excellent with an extensive buffet and a la carte items such as eggs benny and espresso coffees available in the price. However if you don't have breakfast included in your room rate, it costs AUD$42 per person. With the high Australian dollar that is about US$44 or close to 30 pounds. Sydney is a pretty expensive place right now!

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blenheim72
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here for a night between work events in the city .
I have stayed at other Sheraton resorts (Gold coast / Port Douglas) but although the rooms here are smaller (the others are QLD resorts so expected) the quality is by far superior.
My room had a beautiful Marble bathroom with separate bath & shower
a King bed which was real comfy, Flat screen TV & a desk / work area which saw some real use in 1 day as an adequate mobile office & a pleasant view over Hyde park.
Cleanliness was excellent . All round a 5 star experience , which sometimes you don't feel like you get at all 5 star hotels.
I booked a last minute rate for a standard King Room - $280 which included multi access parking & breakfast.
Parking alone in this area of the city is usually around $80 a day for single entry.
Location is great easy walking access to martin place / pitt st mall / hyde park .

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank FatherDownUnder
BMercerHotelManager, General Manager at Sheraton on the Park, Sydney, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Dear FatherDownUnder,

Thank you for your great review of the Sheraton on the Park and its nice to note you are a loyal Starwood guest. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed the comforts of your room and the beautiful views of Hyde Park. Our special packages are definitely very popular for the last minute travelers including the indulgences of our buffet breakfast in our award winning Botanica Brasserie.

Once again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and it was an absolute pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Brad Mercer
Hotel Manager
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed May 28, 2011

We just got back from a one-week stay at Sheraton on the Park (SOTP). Overall, very good stay. Some salient pros and cons below :

Pros :

1. Excellent location. Hyde Park is just opposite. The bus stop and train station are just across the road. The free CBD 555 shuttle esp was extremely useful, only downside being that it stopped 3:30PM. 5-10 mins by bus to Circular Quay. Also very near (5 mins walk) to the nearest David Jones dept Store and the large Pitt Street Mall (Westfield, Myers etc). We found David Jones (between the Market Street and Elizabeth Street stores) to have the best range of all types of clothes and products.
For most places (like Darling Harbour, Taronga Zoo, Manly etc) you just need to take the free shuttle to Circular Quay and catch the ferry from there. The Pitt Street mall has an excellent food court as well (the Thai place is open until 7 PM and has yummy food). There are a few good eateries within 10 mins walk from the hotel - MacDonalds, a Turkish kebab place etc.

2. Lovely breakfast buffet. This was at the Botanica Brasserie. The Club Lounge breakfast (which we experienced just the first day) was very limited and continental. At Botanica Brasserie, the spread was awesome. Special mention to the lady chef at the egg station. Mouth-watering omelettes and sunny-side-ups. Nice fruit and yoghurt varieties. Good sausages, bacon, hash browns etc too. And some noodles and stuff. Overall an awesome spread. We enjoyed breakfast every single morning, and it filled us up nicely for the day ahead. We had got a breakfast inclusive rate of about 250 AUD, direct at the hotel website so opted for that.

Cons:

1. Everything costs extra. We had the most expensive in room water bottles, 500 ml for AUD 6.00 !! And there were more expensive options at AUD 9 per bottle !! Most international hotels provide at least 2 free bottles of water, here, nothing. In room dining again expensive. We opted for it just the first night.

2. Room was good, but could have been a little better. In room housekeeping were sometimes sloppy, not replacing toiletteries etc always. We were 3 of us, my husband and me, and my 4 year old. So they could have provided extra toiletteries and towels but they did not until we asked them to.

3. The entertainment selection available on the television was rather poor. No international channels like HBO, Start, AXN,etc. were available. You have to watch either the local Aussie cannel 7 or buy movies - which for us one day did not work.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ShobhRams
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Stayed here for a rare break away from our toddler. Booked a king park view room which was an upgrade and paid more for it, then on arrival was given a single room. The manager was cold, unfriendly and hide behind the small print. While she said there was no availability she later offered that if there was a cancellation we could have the room - thus admitting they did actually have rooms after all - but only if you booked through the hotel, directly. Beware!

Room Tip: Book direct, pay (even) more
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tbinozz
Dear Tbinozz,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. I would like to assure you that I am fully aware of your concerns and apologise for the disappointment caused. As explained previously, we endeavour to always meet the room requests of our guests at all times and am disappointed that we did not on this instance, especially as it was a special occasion.

Please note, room types and special requests made via third party websites are not guaranteed and are subject to availability. This is per the terms and conditions stated at the time of booking as well as on the confirmation. Unfortunately we were not made aware of your special occasion on the reservation as it was an online booking. Once again, it is disappointing to note you found our Manager on Duty to be less than courteous and professional as they are a very strong and valued associate with an excellent service approach and consistently receive positive feedback from our guests over the past 4years.

Tbinozz, once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We certainly value your patronage to the Sheraton on the Park and would be grateful for the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Warm regards,

Brad Mercer
Hotel Manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed at the SOTP last November and wrote a review. At that stage I was not impressed with the delays in checking in and also the treatment I had at the restaurant in the evening. I did, however like the hotel and therefore stayed again in March of this year for three nights. I am happy to say that the service was improved and that check in and out was smooth. The rooms remain nice and the breakfast buffet lovely. The executive loung is a delight for those that have been in buisness meetings or conferences for the day as I was. I am due to stay there again later this week - this time with my family. I expect the SOTP will not disappoint. Many thanks to the staff for their care and service.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank tula2006
Newcastle
Reviewed May 21, 2011

My teenage daughter and I had a night at the Sheraton on the Park as we wanted somewhere close to the city centres to enjoy a day of shopping. I booked a deal directly through the hotel that included breakfast and self parking. We were upgraded to a park view room which was great and the room was lovely and spacious but also a with a comfy atmosphere. Plus it was very quiet. The bathroom was enormous and luxurious. The buffet breakfast in the brasserie was one of the best I have encountered. Situated across from Hyde Park and walking distance to lots of attractions the hotel is also a few minutes around the corner is the central shopping district of Pitt Street Mall. We were able to park all night and all the following day - which was great value considering the cost of parking in central Sydney. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family