“big rooms, noisy on lower levels”

Mantra 2 Bond Street
Ranked #67 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“big rooms, noisy on lower levels”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I stayed a studio room which was quite spacious with a queen bed, double sofa and 4-seat dining table. There was also a small kitchen with cooking utensils, which I did not use during my stay. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was also clean, unfortunately I was given an accessible room so I had a hard time using the the washbasin which was a just a little higher than my knees. The room was also on Level 2 and I could hear the shouts from revellers walking on George St all night long.

Room Tip: Request for rooms in the higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bondst, Manager at Mantra 2 Bond Street, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear lycook,

Thankyou for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

Very happy to hear that you were happy with the room and its facilities. Being located in the middle of the city, we do occassionally encounter noise issues namely from the entertainment precincts. The hotel is in the process of rectifying these issues in conjunction with the pubs/clubs to ensure a more peaceful and pleasant experience.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Michael Rignall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 25, 2012

As others have said, the hotel has a great location and it is possible to get a quiet room, although probably at the very back of the place and therefore without much of a view. The rooms are spacious and would be good for an extended stay with the kitchen and laundry, plus plenty of space. The bathroom is a bit small, I guess, but the shower worked OK. The decor is a bit tired in places but the place appears to be very busy so not surprising that it shows some wear and tear. And, praise be, there is a barista in the lobby cafe who really knows how to make a good coffee. The b/fast is adequate too although fairly pricey. Hotel prices are competitive in Sydney nowadays so worth checking out the Westin, Marriott, and Four Seasons, all of which are close by, especially if you are looking for a full service hotel, rather than the space and facilities of an apartment/hotel.

Room Tip: If you want peace and quite, then you need a high floor and away from the street - so probably minim...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Bondst, Manager at Mantra 2 Bond Street, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear IanfromRAK,

Thankyou for your review regarding your recent stay at our property.

Nice to hear that the room met your requirements with regards to space and facilities. Concerning the decor we are in the process of discussing a refurbishment program which wille enhance our product even further. Also thankyou for your kind words regarding our barista, he was over the moon when I told him about your review.

Again thankyou for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Don't stay here. Overpriced and just plain terrible
I stayed there for in November 2012 for 2 nights and I will never stay there again. It is apparently a 4 and a half star hotel although I think it is self rated. You could feel the springs in the hard as a rock bed (I do normally sleep on a firm bed so I can tell the difference between hard & decrepid) and there were little flying bugs in the shower. I told the staff that there were bugs and they said that they would call me during the day to let me know if they sorted it out or transfer me to a new room. I left to go to work at 7.30am and, when I got back at 5pm, the room was not ready. They told me they could not see the bugs but it should be all fixed.... That evening the bugs were back so, I got a plastic bag, caught some and when I checked out the next morning, put them on the counter. 2 days without being able to take a shower. They kind of appologised, I I left and stayed in a different 4 and a half star hotel, it made this one seem like a 3 star. Not good enough.

Room Tip: Stay at the Amora across the road- that place is wonderful great bed,nicest bathroom and lovely staf...
3 Thank happyt2012
Bondst, Manager at Mantra 2 Bond Street, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear happyt2012,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

It was very disappointing to hear your comments on the customer service you received. This is an area we have been working on for some time and the improvement is evident in the number of positive feedback we have received.

With regards to the bugs in the room this is unusual and should have been rectified when first reported. We do apologise for the inconvenience this caused to both you and your family. The matter has since been dealt with.

happyt2012, Mantra 2 Bond St prides itself on it's ability to provide quality service in wonderful properties in all our locations. We would welcome the opportunity to have you stay with us again. When you are next staying in Sydney please feel free to contact me directly so I can make the necessary arrangements to ensure your stay with us is a more enjoyable experience.

Yours Sincerely
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed the night at Mantra 2 Bond St recently for business. The place is well located (the office was next door so I couldn't get much closer!) to all of Sydney CDB, and with Wynyard Station across the road is very well connected. The room was a split level room with the bathroom and bedroom on the top level, and a kitchenette and lounge on the bottom level. Considering the room was on a lower level facing onto George St (the busiest street in the city!) it was actually very quiet which was quite surprising. The room also came with a complimentary bottle of wine and a 1.00pm checkout which was well appreciated.

My only peeves were that room service stops completely at 9.00pm, and the air conditioning was faulty and stuck on 22c all night which was a bit too warm for me.

Overall a good stay and a cheaper option than some of the nearby hotels, with the bonus of a kitchen should you be staying longer term.

Room Tip: Don't fuss too much on being put on a lower floor as it really is very quiet in the room.
Dear MichaelBTraveller,

Thankyou for your comments. Great to hear the hotel met your requirements and that you enjoyed your stay. Our apologies with regards to the air conditioning the matter has since been addressed with our maintenance department.

Look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Wagga Wagga
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We arrived at the Motel early as we wanted to see the sights of Sydney but wanted to leave our car there for the day, nothing was a problem for the staff. We arrived into our room and it was lovely with a little kitchenette, great bed and very clean, the bathroom was on the smaller size but this is not a problem at all. Up on the roof is a great pool and spa both heated and a gym as well. We ran out of time to use these facilities but the view up there was lovely.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bondst, Manager at Mantra 2 Bond Street, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Lea-Anne M,

Thankyou for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

It was especially pleasing to hear your thoughts on the staff. They work extremely hard to provide quality service at all times. Glad to hear you enjoyed the property and the amazing view from the rooftop pool.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Devon
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Our accommodation booked by our travel agent was an executive studio.We stayed for one night, so the kitchen and lounge did not get any use. The bed was very comfortable but the bathroom about the size of a cupboard was far to small for a double occupancy executive studio(two people sharing). It also required two phone calls to get the housekeeping to replace the missing wash basin drain plug.The hotel is located close to the ferry terminals and the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House and the many restaurants and bars in the Rocks (the old part of the City). As we only had the day for sightseeing we were allowed to retain our room at an additional cost to use prior to our evening flight. However, having agreed to the excess charge of NZ$20 per hour for this facilty, we were then unable to access our room and then had to get new electronic keys without an apology for our inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bondst, Manager at Mantra 2 Bond Street, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear ALSALDevon,

Thankyou for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

Glad to see the location of the property was suitable during your stay. I apologise for the issues you encountered with the missing plug. This is a standard requirement for every room and should have been picked up by our housekeeping department prior to your arraival.
With regards to the additional charge this is hotel policy for any additional hours past the scheduled departure time. Keys should have been re-cut for you to ensure you had access to your room. I have spoken to the team to ensure this does not occur again.

Regards
Leicestershire, England
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the second time my husband & I have stayed here, about 7 years apart. We returned because we felt that it offered very good value for money & spacious accommodation, which would generally cost far more in Sydney. After this stay I still feel that it offers value for money, & it's really handy to have facilities to eat in if you choose. The location is great too, with easy access to the harbour & its attractions, as well as shopping & restaurants [as with a previous comment, I also found shopping locally for food challenging; there are places but a bit hidden, so find out where they are before you set off!] It is a bit noisy from the street, as others have commented, but it is a city centre location so to be expected. There are a couple of free to use computers in the downstairs cafe section, & we had coffee / snacks in there which were fine.

There were a few less positive aspects to our stay. I felt that the room standards had deteriorated, & certainly the room we had was looking very 'tired'. The air conditioning in our room was also poor, so maybe needs servicing or upgrading [I heard others commenting about this too]. Housekeeping could have been better, & we found service variable depending on the individual member of staff we came into contact with. I had one significant area that concerned me when I overheard a conversation between a male member of staff on reception & a housekeeper, which was conducted very publicly as I stood at reception. It seemed that someone had been checked in before the bathroom had been cleaned; the housekeeper was clearly very worried about this, to her credit, the guy on reception just shrugged his shoulders & said he'd had to check them in so there was nothing he could do! I found his attitude inappropriate, that the conversation happened in public also inappropriate, & would not have liked to have been that guest. Having read the hotel's responses to other reviews it seems, then, that there is still a bit more work to be done on service!

For us the positives & negatives about balanced out, but it's a shame to return & think it's not as good as it used to be.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jet-lagged-traveller,

Thankyou for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property.

It is a shame to hear that the property did not meet the standards of your previous visit. Customer service and housekeeping have been focal points this year as we realise the significance of these areas and our improvement has been noted in various guest comments. Staff discussing in house matters in public is unacceptable and will be discussed further with the team members.

With regards to room maintenance we are in the process or finalising a refurbishmment program. This will entail new furnishings which will further enhance our product.

We hope next time to travel to Australia your experience will be one to remember and look forward to welcoming you back.