“Excellent option in the center of the city”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 2, 2010

This place has a terrific location, right in the center of the city. Other hotels are much more expensive, especially if located in or near the Rocks or Circular Quay, and are not necessarily as nice. Excellent room facilities, free Wifi in rooms, very good service. The only not so positive thing is that there are no views or the Harbour, but it´s a walking distance to it, so it wasn't a problem for us.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,935)

Reviewed December 1, 2010

After reading “Falling Star’s” review (26.9.10) we contemplated asking our tour operator to find us a different hotel. We’re delighted we didn’t – we had a superb stay. In response to Falling Star, the hotel is in the central business district so views are of … the CBD! If you want views of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, you need a different hotel. The location is superb - very convenient.

The staff are wonderful. The maitre d’ at breakfast – Alexander – is a national treasure. He chatted to us on our first morning when we’d just flown in long-haul. He then delivered our ‘one tea, one coffee’. Next morning, he obviously recognised us & enquired after our jet lag. Afetr chatting, we then said we’d have a table down the stairs near the buffet. No sooner had we collected our orange juice than our tea & coffee were delivered (without asking); this continued each morning. He made us feel like part of the family.

Darren and Justin on Concierge desk are superb. Their knowledge appears limitless and nothing at all is too much trouble; this applies to all the staff we encountered.

Our room was excellent – spacious and, as we’d specifically asked for a bathtub, we were quietly upgraded (no song & dance about it) to a spa bath. The hotel is quiet and we peaceful nights. The pool is excellent for lane swimming alhtough would not be ideal for family fun. The free in-room WiFi was appreciated. Why do not all five star hotels learn this lesson & provide free internet access instead of stinging their clients with a hefty bill for something which costs them nothing? Good for Radisson.

This will be our first choice of hotel next time we’re in Sydney.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank Roger.pauline
Reviewed November 26, 2010

After alot of deliberating over a few Sydney Hotels, we decided to go with the cheaper 5 star option and book the Radisson Plaza and spend the difference on ourselves (Lunch at Aria).
When we arrived we weren't expecting too much, The Hotel is an Old Landmark Building that has been transformed and is in a brilliant location, close to Circular Quay, The Rocks, Opera House and lots of other attractions.
When we arrived, we were greeted and shown to our room very promptly and told that if we had any questions or requests, not to hesitate to ask. As we had tickets to see Wicked the musical, i thought I'd go down to reception and find out the best way to get there and also ask about some of the weekend markets that Sydney has.
Unfortunately I don't remember the staff members name that served me but he was fantastic, he gave me a map and pointed me into the right direction, served us with a smile every time we passed and he seemed to be genuinely interested in how our trip was going (He even gave us a complimentary wicked cd and program)
Our room was faultless, the breakfast every morning was delicious, the chef even remembered what my partners omelete was after the fist morning and with nothing more than a smile he started cooking it when we entered.
I'd like to thank everyone at the Radisson for making our stay fantastic and will definitely stay there next time we visit Sydney.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Excellent location, convenient to both the Sydney waterfront and also the shopping district. I paid $200 per night for a very basic room but considered this excellent value for money. If you are having to pay more than $300 per night, I would start to look elsewhere. Cleanliness and service were excellent; there were a couple of things not working in my room when I checked in but these were quickly put right. The breakfast was good but not great.

As others have said, it did have a somewhat sterile 'business-only' feel to it. I wouldn't recommend it for families; but it wouldn't be far off the mark for just about any other demographic.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2010

My best girlfriend of more than 50 years was celebrating her birthday, and we decided instead of doing the shopping at "Peters of Kensington" in one day as we did last year, that we would spend the night, enjoy dinner, and explore The Rocks as well as Peters.
It was difficult finding a TWIN BED ROOM in Sydney!!
As we were getting closer to our departure date, we decided we HAD TO BOOK SOMETHING...and lastminute.com.au was the best site for us with SECRET HOTELS.
We found one that had twin beds, but could not guarantee them....we booked it...and hoped we would have them. We are good friends but NOT THAT GOOD. Our secret hotel was the Radisson Plaza hotel - 5 Star. Our taxi knew it, and we were greeted warmly, easy check in - and YES WE WERE ALLOCATED A TWIN ROOM. Nice size, two queen beds, views to offices, marble bathroom and separate good size shower. It has a nice small swimming pool, and we enjoyed the spa too. Buffet breakfast at $28 each was just average after paying $249 together for the room. Wasn't sure how good a deal we got. Spent $10 each way on taxis to the Rocks as my friend had a sore knee and couldn't walk - it was a fair walk. Look out for the free buses around Sydney - great. Enjoyed Peters of Kensington, and also discovered Victoria's Basement. Overall the hotel was nice, but thought more of a 4 star............

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank EmailQueen
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We came to Radisson after staying at Bondi for a Conference. What a refreshing change from the previous hotel. I arrived alone, laden with mine and my husband's luggage while he was still attending his conference. The doorman greeted me and whisked my luggage away. Check in with Michael was a dream. Whatever this gorgeous young man has should be bottled and sold to all hotels. His manner and demeanor is the perfect example of how all hotel staff should conduct themselves. Our room on the 11th floor was gorgeous, clean and comfortable. Comfortable bed, Beautiful bathroom. Superb location - admittedly, no real views, but I like to be out and about to take in the scenery, anyway. Check out was as easy as check in. Our luggage was whisked away and stored for us until it was time to leave. Nothing was too much trouble for the very excellent and efficient staff. We just couldn't fault our experience there- its the best I have had at a Sydney Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for the first time as a business traveller. I highly recommend it. The room was spotless. Bathroom relatively big and had all toiletries etc that you would require. The shower was fabulous!! Bed very comfortable, room service menu was very good, with lots of options and food delivered was good, though not as hot as should have been. The window was high up the wall, so I couldnt see out without standing on tip toe, but it actually was unusual and made me feel like I was in a New York loft. I didnt consider it a negative. The room was decorated nicely and not in a cliched hotel way. The cable TV had lots of options. I should say I was in one of the cheaper rooms as the hotel was quite heavily booked. Staff were polite and professional. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others. The hallways were quiet too and my sleep was not disturbed. Hotel is also right near Wynard station which is on the train city circle line.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business