“5 star service, 5 star location, 5 star hotel”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
Ranked #11 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 17, 2010

To sum up this hotel in 1 sentence, "great location (but in a quiet street), great service, cosy room, free internet (which doesn't happen often in Sydney hotels), great facilities". If I want to be very picky, the only thing lacking is harbour view.

My partner and I booked this hotel on last minute secret hotel which is great value for a 5 star hotel in the middle of CBD. Less than 5 min walk to Circular Quay, less than 5 min walk to Pitt Street Mall and one of my favourite Japanese restaruants is just around the corner. It's situated in a quiet street, away from the busy traffic and night clubs. The building is a heritage listed building (I love heritage buildings) but the hotel itself is very modern.

Staff was very efficient and friendly. Initially we were given a room where hot shower is not working. We were upgraded immediately to another room.

The room is nice, big, cosy and comfortable. All you expected in a 5 star hotel room. Great gym and functional swimming pool, spa and steam room.

Radisson Plaza is on my list of one of my favourite in Sydney

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanberraTourist

Reviewed January 12, 2010

This is a delayed review. We stayed there for 4 nights over the busy Christmas period. Check-in was not glitch free. The access card software had broken down and we were informed by a slightly snooty receptionist that we will be checked-in and we could collect our cards later. Apart from her, we found the rest of the staff unbelievably helpful and courteous. They were always up for a smile and full marks for their attentiveness and professionalism. The location cannot be faulted too. It is in a quiet part of the CBD but still close to the hustle and bustle of George Street and a short and pleasant walk to Circular Quay. Make sure you use the free CBD shuttle (#555) to explore the City.

The hotel itself is in a fantastically reclaimed charming old building. The lobby looks tired and the vicinity around the lift area looks downright rundown. But things get better as you move up floors (ask for a higher floor) and enter the hallways. Everything is tastefully decorated and the room itself is excellent. Going with the theme of the hotel, everything is subdued and mild but tasteful. As you would expect from a 5 star hotel, everything works smoothly and housekeeping makes sure you have prompt service anytime you need it. Need extra towels - it will be in your room in 5 minutes, need a turn down service, no sweat at all. The indoor pool is adequate (for a CBD hotel) and the spa and sauna is fine. The shower in the bathroom is to die for and a reasonably deep bathtub adds to the comforts you would come to expect in a 5 star hotel. There is free fuss-free wireless internet in your room too. We had our laptop with us and this made making dinner reservations and getting directions easy.

I would gladly stay at this hotel again. But if you are looking for the most luxurious five star hotel with sheer opulence at every turn, stay elsewhere. However, if you need great value for your money and pay just a bit more for 5 stars but not break the bank in trying to do so, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank orangestreet
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Pros:
* Complimentary wireless internet in rooms
* 24-hour Business Center
* Great location, close to convenience stores, restaurants, the Rocks and Circular Quay all walking distance.
* One of the lowest room rates I could find for a 5-star hotel in Sydney during peak holiday season. All the other hotels located within downtown were a lot pricer. Plus, some of the hotels charged 10 AUD per hour for internet in their rooms.

Cons:
* Do not stay anything at a lower priced than a Premier Room. We had so many issues with this one, I cannot imagine what it would be like staying at their regular rooms.

* When we arrived at the hotel, the Bellhop was no where to be seen. There were stairs leading up to the lobby so we had to carry our heavy luggages up to the reservation desk. When the Bellhop finally appeared there was only a casual apology and he walked away.

* when we arrived at our room, the pillows (the ones in black "satin") were oily and looked like they needed to be changed!

* the shower door was broken. it wouldn't close properly so we had water coming out of the shower stall.

* the bathroom door knob was broken. It broke off the first night we were there.

* the cabinet door below the TV broke off it's hinge from old age the first week were were there.

* when we requested an extra australian power adapter in our room, they asked us 3 times why we needed an extra one.... When obviously we had 2 laptops and needed to charge our cameras and camcorders.

* service was inconsistant: sometimes they would forget to give us two bath robes! sometimes there would be one and some days there would be two. One day they will give us bottled water and the next couple of days they wouldn't.

* there was a stain in our bath tub since we checked in... they didn't clean it until a couple of days later. it wasn't a very obvious stain, but it proved to us that they didn't clean the bath tub every day.

* We found couple of pieces of broken glass in the hallway which they didn't clean up until the next afternoon. I cannot imagine kids in flip flops running in the hallways with pieces laying around like that.

* One of the computers in the business center was broken for 3 days. Despite having a person at the business center service desk come in occasionally, the computer wasn't fixed until I had to notify the hotel.

Overall:
This hotel is great for families or with friends staying for only few nights. But definitely not a romantic getaway or a peaceful oasis for couples. There are many other hotels in sydney with better value and less issues!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FreshSugar
Reviewed January 10, 2010

What a fantastic hotel this was, very enjoyable stay. The staff could not do enough for us, hotel and room were immaculately clean, and every service one could need was provided. I cannot speak highly enough of all the staff who went out of their way to make our stay a comfortable, enjoyable and memorable one, will definitely stay there again.
Jane, Tasmania

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Excellent - very comfortable rooms, great facilities, and very central to Sydney. Easy walk to Circular Quay, the Rocks and so on.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2009

If you've ever been to Sydney when the town is full, you know how difficult it can be to find a hotel room. We arrived in Sydney last week during just such a time. The Radisson's manager went out of his way to accomodate us, and even gave us a great rate on a suite. We were especially impressed with how well the hotel staff dealt with a full house.

The suite was spacious, bright and clean. The bathroom was exceptional, with a large and deep tub. Internet access was free in our suite.

Had the chance to visit the lobby bar. BIG tv at one end, comfortable seating, friendly staff.

Nice fitness center. Fully equipped, clean. Spa services available.

Location is nice, with entrances on both O'Connell and Pitt Streets. A few minutes walk from Circular Quay.

Very nice property. Thanks for the excellent service!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LON-DXB
Reviewed December 11, 2009

The building and rooms and location are outstanding, well designed and spotless.

However I ran into a huge number of gotchas with the staff. I asked them to remove the pillowtop from the bed, because it would send me to the chiropractor; they did, but a couple days later I found myself hobbling around and realized that they'd put it back on.

The first morning my alarm clock went off just after 6am. I turned on the TV to find out I had a minibar tab, which was impossible given that I'd checked in at 6:30pm. When I told the front desk about this, the overworked woman got a bit annoyed.

Then the minor annoyances. The TV takes 3 to 4 seconds to change channels -- no kidding, I timed it. The wireless internet didn't work (lots of routers, none of them could maintain a connection to my new blackberry, which has never had a problem elsewhere).

Pretty much nothing worked without a hitch, and that's not what I expect of a Radisson. The facilities are great, I just don't have the same regard for the competence of the staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo