“Charming makeover”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
Ranked #10 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was booked in here by my work, so wasn't sure what to expect. I read a few of the worst reviews & was concerned. But I had nothing to fear. My spacious room on the 1st floor had very high ceilings, a beautiful bathroom (with a shower NOT over the bath - bliss!) and every comfort I could want. I got in quite late & was hungry. Room service was prompt & the food hot and delightful. On the second night I was in the bar for a while & the service & choice of wines was great.

I will definitely stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
RadissonBluSydney, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Hi GPS57,

I'm glad that you found your stay satisfactory and although the other reviews may have put you off you found just like all of our other guests that we provide a true, traditional five-star service.

About 99% of our rooms (exc accessibility rooms) have bathtubs and I can say that it is a rarity for hotels to have them separated from the shower and that's why we love them too.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I worked in 5 star Hotels for over 20 years - I have never experienced service of this standard in an Australian Hotel - we did a 5 star mystery booking and ended up here - from Breakfast chefs checking food quality with diners - Exceptionally efficient front desk and concierge , a genuine warmth was evident right throughout the Hotel , nothing was to much trouble- room finish was to the highest standard- loved the shower ! - GM you should be very proud

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonBluSydney, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hi markpatrick12,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I'm happy to hear that all of us here at Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney could provide you with the service you would expect from a five-star hotel.

We hope that on your next stay in Sydney you might book directly so that you don't have to ru the risk of the mystery.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Walking into this hotel room was like a breath of fresh air... Hanging about a huge bath was a robe that just invited you to throw on and relax. The bathroom and room were generally spacious.

The bed was super comfortable and I had the best night sleep. The only downside was that the mini bar did not contain any panadol or the like and there was nowhere around that I could get any - but this is such a minor thing.

Another positive was that the bar is open late... We arrived from a game at ANZ stadium very late and it was fantastic to be able to sit and have a drink. A taxi to the airport the next morning was too easy with the cab waiting at the front door. Overall a very easy experience.

Hi Foodkarma,

Thank you for posting a reply as your feedback is important to us. I'm sorry to hear that we couldn't accommodate for Panadol. I can ensure you that on your next visit if you ask Concierge they will be able to direct you in the right direction. There are convenience stores a stone throw from the hotel and a chemist a few minutes away.

Other then the need for Panadol, i'm glad you had a pleasant stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

A seasoned hotel that may benefit from lighter colors and more appealing design. Service comes across as the good Radisson standard with well trained and friendly personnel. Hotel rooms are relatively noisy which seems to be a tribute to the location, is it? It is offered a very good brakfast buffet with no extra charge for espressos or cappucchinos. Pool is nice (good length for swimmers) and held well clean.

Room Tip: as high as possible

Hi Stoltinger,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this site. I'm sorry to hear that your stay wasn't to the standard you are looking for. I can ensure you that we have taken the proper measures to make the rooms as quiet as possible for guests. At the moment the Council is upgrading the side walks which seem to be impacting on our guests but this will be finalised by the end of 2013.

I'm pleased to hear that all the other services you got to enjoy while at the hotel were pleasant and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here March 2013, great hotel great location, The rooms are very clean. The hotel can be hard to locate at first, but it is an easy walk from the pier. central walking to parks and shopping.
Paddys market is worth the visit is you like hundreds of booths filled with everything you do not need to take home, try the one way monorail

Room Tip: The breakfast buffet is excellant
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi JBOttawa,

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that the Monorail as of July 2013 has been taken out of service and will be taken down by the end of the year.

I'm pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay all the same and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Decent gym, great rooms. Bathrooms very good. Breakfast is worth the room price - really good. Helpful staff, great location - and yes they have decent fast FREE WiFi. . When will other hotels realize how irritating it is to have to buy wifi when it is free in coffee shops/backpackers etc.?

Recommend this hotel ++

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank chitake

Hi Chitake,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. It's with such feedback we can anticipate guests needs.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed our free Wi-Fi it is very unique to our property and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel was the last stop on our month long trip to Australia and New Zealand. We began the trip in Sydney and stayed at the Westin which was a delight. We ended our trip three weeks later in Sydney at the Radisson Blu which turned out to be a mistake. A few highlights of our stay included -- food and medicine was spoiled in the malfunctioning refrigerator. The bed in our room was literally a futon/single mattress on slats and wheels that moved around. The room had been prepaid for 8 months and new bills and charges were appearing on the the television information area . The workout facility was extremely dirty , dated and small. The Olivia Newton-John video let's get physical was perhaps shot here. Turning positive-- Nice aspects of the hotel were the pool area and the helpful bellhops. Extremely disappointing were the front desk team. I explained to Gemma how this was the least satisfying of any property on my 3 week trip. I stated my needs which were either repair/replace the fridge or move us to a new room. Gemma decided to UPGRADE us to a better room. Upon moving half of our belongings to this room I realized we had actually been DOWNGRADED. The main room was half the size and the bathroom was a third of the size of our current non-functioning room. I returned to the front desk and told Gemma thank you for the actual downgrade but we will do without a fridge and rough it out for two nights. I was surprised by our stay considering the glowing reviews regarding this hotel on trip advisor. Upon checkout the front staff never asked me how our stay was. I was fully prepared to express my concerns but they were not interested. So, upon return home I notified the GM Peter Tudehope about our stay and he rectified the situation. If you are going to stay here make sure you have his number since he seemed to be the only one concerned with our stay. I believe there are extremely better options such as the gracious Westin or all new Hilton which are just a few blocks away. If you book a last minute deal on Wotif maybe stay here. I booked/prepaid 8 months in advance and it was a huge mistake.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vester66
RadissonBluSydney, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Hi Vester66,
Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review. It’s disheartening to see that it has appeared online 6months after your stay. I can ensure you of our five-star standard and it looks like it didn’t reach your expectations on this stay.
Every staff member knows that the guest is number one priority and to ensure that their stay is as comfortable and wonderful as all the other Tripadvisor respondents you have seen.
We pride ourselves on our level of customer satisfaction and I’m sorry to see again that we didn’t live up to your expectations. I’m certain if you find yourself in Australia again and choose to stay at Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney again we will provide you with a service you come to expect.