“Perfect!”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
Ranked #10 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Had an amazing 4 night stay here for a few days business and over a weekend. I arrived very tired at approx. 9am after travelling for 2 days from Ireland. My room wasn’t ready which was ok as I never tried to arrange for early check in. I was shown to the bar where I could relax comfortably until my room was ready. I was given access to the free wifi and complimentary coffee which was a lovely touch. My room was ready in less than 2 hours which was great, as this was still a few hours before normal check in time. My room was fantastic, so big with lovely furnishings, and a brilliant bathroom. All the extras like a bathrobe and slippers too (it’s amazing the amount of hotels that claim to be 5* but don’t provide these!).
Breakfast in the hotel is top notch and I could not fault the staff during my stay.
For me, the hotels location was perfect. A few mins in a taxi to my place of work in the CBD (I could have walked too) and a stones throw from the Opera House, the Harbour Bridge, and the Rocks. Plenty of shopping, bars and restaurants close by too. It was so nice to walk out of the hotel and only a few meters down the street and I could see the harbour bridge.
If I’m ever lucky enough to be in Sydney again, for work or pleasure, I would stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Flossykins
Write a ReviewReviews (4,938)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Good location. Very near shopping and restaurants. Easy walking distance. Access to public transport buses was easy enough. Walk to Circular Quay about 500m away.
Good facilities for conferences.
Breakfast buffet had a good spread, though the waiters seemed a bit slow to bring the coffee.
The room that I had didn't have much of a view, was facing an inner atrium of sorts. Room was a bit small but clean and quiet.
Pillows were too soft for my liking.
Staff were very attentive and efficient during checkin and checkout.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Customer service excellent, with larger than normal rooms. However the meals are very expensive. the restaurant was crazy expensive for what you get. Hotel is in a great location, and easy walk down to opera house and circular quay .
Shopping is everywhere and walking distance. Value for money is average as internet and meal costs are way over the top. For example order a chicken main and thats all that turns up, NOTHING else , no vegetables , no mash potatoes or any other side foods.
There are 2-3 other Hotels in the same location, definitely worth comparing.

Room Tip: car park is expensive ($40 per night), with 3 Public Car parks in 3-5 min walking distance.
1  Thank thanksmate
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I often travel to Sydney for work and have had the chance to review a number of hotels in a similar price range. The hotels themselves are typically booked by other people for me (I have no say in them). I'm always happy to be booked in the Radisson. It's in an old Bank Building only a couple of hundred metres from the centre of Sydney. The rooms are spacious: the ones that I've stayed in had an Art Deco feel and lovely 180cm long baths as well as separate showers. The hotel is very quiet and it always smells clean, but without the pervading smell of cleaning agents (a neat feat). The concierge are very helpful and provide umbrellas to people who can be caught by surprise by Sydney's occasional freak changes of weather... It's a lovely place to stay...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stayed at the Radisson Blu over the easter weekend (2013) with two girlfriends. The hotel was booked very last minute and we were able to get a very reasonable price. The hotel is located in prime location for those wanting to experience Circular Quay, the shops (Pitt street), the Rocks and the nightlife. Located just a few minutes walk from Pitt Street shopping, famous nightclubs and about a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay. Unbeatable location! The Hotel itself is a great hotel, nothing overly amazing about it, but nothing bad about it at all. It's new enough and the staff are all lovely and very helpful! I would definitely stay at the Radisson again for my next stay in Sydney.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank memoo1
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed two nights in this Hotel. Good location as it is close to the Opera House and to Pitt Street Mall (Shopping). Service was excellent and the rooms were clean and fresh.

Would recommend this hotel and we will stay their again later in the year

Room Tip: Try the Bistro Fax for breakfast
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Radisson Blu is probably a good hotel to stay at – unless you have an issue that requires assistance from its staff or any level of customer service.

Upon checkout on Sunday morning, we received my car from the Radisson valets in undrivable condition. Quite aside the issue of legal liability, which will be addressed separately, we received absolutely no assistance from hotel staff, and were left alone outside the hotel for over two hours to make calls, organise towing, and transfer the contents of my car into the vehicle of a friend who had to drive into town to assist us. All the while the hotel reception staff, concierge and duty manager stood behind the glass of the lobby and observed our distress like it was a great show.

The duty manager that day appeared to make it his mission to assist us in no way – even explicitly stating: “what exactly would you like me to do about it?” Upon speaking to the senior front office manager the following Monday, it was manifestly apparent the hotel’s policy is that: to provide even a basic level of customer service to us (or even human empathy) would be an admission of guilt – and therefore none was given. I was advised by the front office manager I would be called back by the hotel’s general manager; however this call has not been forthcoming.

I had travelled to Sydney from Canberra for the weekend, to meet my sister and nephew who had flown from Perth to celebrate my nephew’s 18th birthday. Needless to say, this weekend was a catastrophe, and by mid-afternoon I was on a Greyhound bus back to Canberra, wondering when I would see my car again.

I have stayed in many hotels, good and bad, and things go wrong from time to time… but I have NEVER encountered such an entrenched culture of refusing to provide the most basic assistance, service and empathy to guests at a hotel. I have experienced more empathy and consideration from staff at other hotels over room mix-ups and unmade beds, than we experienced for an expensive, and colossally sabotaged weekend. And although I started off fairly philosophical about the experience, I have been steadily growing in my outrage, as the extreme and continued absence of any helpful contact and ‘customer service’ from the Radisson has made it clear that this is a systemic and concerted problem – and not simply a result of a few unprofessional or incompetent staff.

I will NEVER, EVER entrust a holiday, a business visit, or any of my property to his hotel ever again. I can only assume this mercenary culture is set by the hotel manager, and not the Radisson brand more broadly… but I’m not sure I’m brave enough to find out.

Postscript: I also note the general manager of the Radisson Blu Sydney appears to have a policy of addressing negative reviews made on various websites; although his responses appear largely for the purpose of image control and for the benefit of other readers, and do little to address the concerns of those who made them. The general manager’s time would probably be better spent addressing customer issues, and promoting a service culture in his hotel. He would then need to spend less time cruising the internet for haters.

7  Thank Pickpocketed
RadissonBluSydney, General Manager at Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Pickpocketed,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Sydney.

I am disappointed to learn your stay with us was spoiled due to this unfortunate incident. Although this matter has been addressed by the Duty Manager and Front Office Manager, as offered I have called you the next day on Tuesday 9th April to discuss this further. Unfortunately this review was written on the Monday 8th April, and therefore does not state our conservation.

As discussed over the phone, we investigated the incident thoroughly and the hotel cannot be held liable for mechanical issues without any apparent external damages. We always strive to take responsibility for any incident clearly caused by the hotel staff however on this specific incident we do not feel the hotel was at any fault while looking after your car. I hope you are able to understand where we stand on this matter.

I appreciate that this issue can be quite frustrating during a leisure weekend and I am disappointed that you didn’t feel supported by our team during this inconvenient experience. Please be assured I will pass your comments to the team and reiterate our “Yes I Can” attitude we strive to achieve and friendly service we are known by.

Please feel free to contact me personally if there is anything further we can assist you with on this matter. I sincerely apologise for any disappointment this incident has caused you and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Yours sincerely