“Modern amenities with a heritage feel”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney
Ranked #10 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I spent four nights at this hotel, and it was a wonderful cocoon from the rigours of tramping around the sights in central Sydney and the waterfront. I chose it mostly for the location, and was pleased with the quick 10 minute stroll down Pitt Street to the waterfront--other sights, even the Australian Museum, weren't more than a 20 minute walk.
The hotel itself is typical businessman's five star; newspaper delivered to your hotel door each morning, attentive porters and concierge staff; and best of all, free wi-fi internet. This last item alone tipped me on the Radisson Blu--surely at the prices in this category, a gouge for another $15 or so isn't necessary. Truly bothers me about the higher-end hotels.
The hotel is housed in a glorious heritage building, which I was told used to be the home of a Sydney newspaper and another prominent operation a century ago. Exceptionally well restored, with high ceilings and period architecture kept intact.
The gym and pool were quite small, but well maintained. I also liked the swipe card security system in the elevators and into the gym area--a comforting thought during high crowds downton on a Friday or Saturday night.
My only complaint would be the rather average food in the dining room. I had a dinner, lunch and two breakfasts, but finally gave up after paying double the price for half the quality of food I could find just a block or two away. The meteoric rise in the Australian dollar over the past three years has put prices in Sydney into sticker shock category for North Americans(the latest world city index ranks it 30% higher than New York City) so I automatically assumed that a $30 plate of bacon and eggs wouldn't be swimming in grease)
Gauging by comments from other travellers who had stayed in nearby five star hotels, I believe the Blu warrants its high ratings.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Ron N
Write a ReviewReviews (4,935)

Reviewed January 15, 2012

We had a wonderful time. The location, cleanliness, and services were all perfect. There was nothing much to fault.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2012

The hotel is in a great location, approximately halfway between Circular Quay and the Pitt St Mall, 50m from Wynyard Train Station and a few streets from the M5 / Eastern Distributor.

Given the strange shape of the building (think the Flatiron Building in NYC), the rooms vary in size and layout. My room (222) was easily the largest, by at least an extra 5-6 square metres, albeit without views onto George or O'Connell Streets. The marbled bathroom was enormous, and included a separate spa tub and walk in rainshower (fantastic pressure).

An iron & board were included in the wardrobe, which was handy, as well as a large desk and mini lounge next to the window. The large kingsize bed was a bit too soft for my liking, however Radisson offers a pillow menu (foam, feather etc) which was novel. Aircon is individually controlled - some fellow guests of mine failed to realise this - within the room. The TV featured an adequate selection of local and overseas TV channels, including all 3 Fox Sports (Australia).

Minibar was provided, although the prices were horrific - $7.50 for a 1.5L bottle of drinking water, $8 for local beers etc. I suggest doing what we did, and deposit the contents into the drawers provided and restock with your own goodies from the minimart across the street. Note also the hotel bar is ridiculously expensive - for a drink I suggest going straight across the road to the Bavarian Beer Cafe. We did not eat in the reknowned Bilson's restaurant located within the hotel.

I didn't get a chance to use the gym / pool / sauna but was informed by fellow travellers that it was certainly adequate.

Overall a very nice hotel that I will certainly return to next time in Sydney - I would like to see their check in and concierge streamlined, as it was borderline chaotic when we arrived at around 11am on a Monday morning. I've never had to wait to check in to a hotel before, and after 20 minutes my patience was running thin. We were assured the rooms would be available by 1400hrs however by 1430hrs they were still not ready. Thankfully we were compensated by a late check out of 1300hrs at no extra charge.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2012

have stayed at this hotel twice now and have found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The hotel rooms are very smart, clean and spacious. Will definatly stay here again. Good location close to everything.

Room Tip: Contact the hotel directly to organise to stay on the business class floor with access to the busine...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2012

An excellent hotel, though fairly pricey - but it is city centre. The room was decent sized and well-equipped room, whilst all the staff genuinely seemed to want to help/ It has a good (but rather expensive) restaurant. And free wi-fi - a trend setting idea in Oz! It’s located in a good area, 5 minutes from the Opera House and ferry wharfs, and 5 minutes the other way to the shopping areas.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The hotel rooms are excellent quality and the location is so close to everything in Sydney. The hotel provide free WiFi, which I have not found to be common in Australia. We wanted a night in the big city for our boys to experience before we flew back home at the end of our holiday, and this provided the perfect place to do it. The price was very good for what we got.

But the real reason we were bowled over by the Radisson Blu in Sydney, was the friendly and helpful staff. Right from my first conversation on the phone, through early arrival with our car, check in, check out and everything in between, each employee we dealt with was excellent. They know their stuff, anticipate needs, have suggestions and appear to enjoy their work. The management are doing something right because I don't get this level of friendly service in Australian hotels very often.

Highly Recommended.

Room Tip: we had a room with a courtyard view. I would have preferred a view of the city, but we weren't i...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights from 3rd January. I felt i got a good deal at just over $200 per night by paying in advance for a deluxe king room - the room was very spacious and because we were in the end room in the corridor it seemed to have extra room with a hallway entrance where we could easily store 2 large suitcases. I would point out that the windows were very high in the room so you could not gaze out of them unless you stood on the bed!. However the building is surrounding by other buildings so there is nothing particularly great to look out at. The bathroom was also quite large with lots of complimentary premium toiletries to use. We had dinner in the bar on our first night. The bar is wonderful with masses of very comfortable lounging chairs. the food was good.
The location is great for circular quay and it is about 15-20 mins walk from darling harbour.
A taxi to the airport cost us $50 when we arrived and $58 when we left which we thought was high for a 10km journey - the hotel will try and tell you it cots just $35 but i think they must be talking about the cost 5 years ago! You may want to consider the airport bus which costs $16.
The only issue we had with the hotel was the wi-fi in the room - the reception was appalling. When we mentioned this at reception the receptionist clearly did not want to address our concern and when we pushed it she said it was probably because we had the room at the end of the corridor where there was sometimes a problem. Not sure whether this was true or not but if decent wifi in your room is important to you then you may wish to not have a similarly located room.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple