“Overall good spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #40 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
San Mateo, California
“Overall good spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

I stayed here while attending a conference. This is a good location - near Darling Harbour, not far from the Queen Victoria Building and Chinatown. Inexpensive and nicer restaurants nearby.

The room was in fine shape - water pressure was acceptable but not great. Room was clean. Design is a bit older but nothing bad. View was horrid, onto a courtyard of other apartment building windows. But I was not staying here for the view.

The room was a studio with a nice little kitchenette. It was not stocked with pots/pans - you had to request these from the desk - but it did have a French press coffee device and really good ground coffee.

Service was good. I arrived early in the morning, and they showed me a shower at the swimming pool that I could use to change. Now, this little shower room was pretty wet and not large enough to really open a suitcase and find clothes, but it was a nice gesture.

Internet was free with my room rate and pretty speedy. They happily gave me access codes for 3 devices, which was really nice.

The workout room is quite small but did have a pretty good universal weight machine.

The breakfast buffet was fine, although I usually went across the street to Home to get coffee and breakfast.

I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Guildford, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Due to our love for Sydney City we spent our anniversary with our young kids here!!!

It's the most superb location to most places we wanted to go and sightsee as well as entertainment and shopping. Located in the heart of sydney, it's a couple minutes walk to George Street.

With young kids, we ensure that buffet breakfast is included in our package, although, breakfast wasn't much of a variety and rarely stocked up but did the job for the not so fussy kids. But for me, not enough to choose from.

Indoor pool is always a plus during winter as its a hit for the kids, and with the gym overlooking the pool behind a glass window, it would be a bonus for the workout mum/dad taking turns minding kids or workouts....

Our room was more than we expected, 2 x Queen Superior. It had a kitchenette with a stove top, bathroom was cute with the vanity and the room was nice and roomy with a armchair + ottoman and desk. Be careful of the balcony as my kids loved going outside to the windowed balcony and climbing the chairs. Nice view for the adults, but keep the young kids well away!

I had to put in a maintenance request for broken lamp cellotaped back together (don't know if this was the hotel or previous holidayers fix up) and a huge stain in the carpet. Although the hotel is old, it has a heritage feel but overall we enjoyed it because of its location. Took us 10mins to power walk to Sydney Tower. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly.

We paid for valet parking which I think is cheaper than parking at Secure or Wilson Parking $35 per night but they don't load your luggage when it's parked downstairs, they'll bring it to the front and then you load up from there. I would of preferred to have the bags loaded from undercover parking rather than the front busy road when it was raining. If I had known, I would of done it myself!

But I enjoyed my stay. Wasn't fussed because my kids loved it!!!

Room Tip: We faced Meriton Apartments so if you want a better room, I don't think you would get much.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

its pretty central to everything, the room had everything you need including mini kitchen. Quiet, you couldnt hear noise from other rooms. Downside, bit tired in some spots (lifts), internet was not working first 2 days, then worked for a while. But overall a very good hotel, easy to get around to the sights of sydney or for me, short stroll to the train station

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Terre Haute, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

In Sydney, it is impossible to decide which is the best location. Do you want to be near the Rocks and the Old City and the Quay? The Opera House? Darling Harbor/Harbour?

The Radisson Hotel and Suites (not Radisson Blu) is where I chose because it offered the best for me. It is easy to walk to Darling Harbor/Harbour and is a short walk to the free bus that runs to the Quay during regular business hours. You can even take your luggage if you are checking in for a cruise. For the serious walker, the Opera House is also within easy walking distance.

Radisson #812 is like every room in the hotel in that there are no views from the room because it is surrounded by taller buildings.

Amenities include a hair dryer and standard fare for the bathroom. Maybe I've just never noticed before, but this bathroom has a lock on the door.

The room itself has awesome lighting...perhaps the best I have ever encountered. The room offers a desk and chair, two side chairs with table, two phones, a television, a safe, iron/ironing board and a king-size bed. AND A CLOCK! The small balcony has a table and two chairs as well.

This room offers a sink, refrigerator, cook-top, and a coffee press. Service and cooking utensils are available from reception. A microwave would have been nice. Coffee-and tea-making facilities are also available.

It is incredibly easy to reach the hotel from the airport. Just take the City Rail to the Town Hall Station (under $16.00). From George Street, it is a three- or four-block walk to Liverpool Street. I had absolutely no problem even with a lot of luggage.

The breakfast buffet is quite nice. The continental offerings were amazing and cost $19.00. A full breakfast buffet with hot and cold offerings was $25.00. Many coffee selections were available at the coffee machine. Everything is expensive in Sydney so expect to pay more everywhere.

In all, this is a great hotel, and I would choose to stay here if I'm ever in the city again.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room at any Radisson.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed in September 2012 in a Studio room.
Room was nice, large and clean but quite dark and dated. I think I was on the 3-4th floor, view from the balcony was nothing to speak of.
Good location and handy to darling harbour, stayed for 5 days for a work conference. Staff were very friendly and helpful! Since this review have been to Sydney quite a few times and stayed at alternative accomodation (see review). Have found much better apartment accomodation with amazing views, service and similar price.

Would not stay here again simply as there are better options for the same budget.
NOTE: Stayed in a studio only so cannot compare to the apartment accomodation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Mackay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We just overnighted here. The location is great for Darling Harbour where we went for dinner and breakfast. The apartment was a good sized two bed roomed one that was comfortable and clean.
When we got back from Darling Harbour we popped up to the bar to grab a couple of nightcaps to take back to our room. It was not 10:30 by our watches but we were told that the bar was closed. When we pointed out that it was not quite 10:30 the response was basically, "tough, I've closed". I checked the in room info which stated that the bar closed at 11:00. I went back downstairs and pointed this out at reception. The response was, "I'm sorry, we haven't updated the info, there is a bar around the corner" (they probably wouldn't have appreciated us taking drinks to our room). As people who have worked in the service industry, we know that the response should have been "I'm sorry, sir, that is OUR mistake, what drinks were you after? I'll get those for you and we'll sort it out when you check out (or these are on the house)". They should send the staff to the Radisson Blu in Guildford, UK, to learn what the word service means. We'll go back to Guildford but we'll not go back here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Karratha, Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

While this is one of biggest rooms I have ever stayed in, it's also the nosiest. By that I mean street noise, traffic, road works, Monorail & of course people. My room was on Liverpool street 2nd floor & not a side I would want to be on again. Sleep was at a premium, but then I found my ear plugs!

Apart from that it was a great location in the city, about a five minute walk to the town hall train station & most other things were only a few minutes extra.

The room was spotless & everything in it was relatively well maintained. Staff were excellent nothing was a bother for them. Even used the laundry service which I thought was pretty cheap.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the Liverpool Street side if you value sleep!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo