“Ok, but was expecting more.”

Radisson Hotel And Suites Sydney
Ranked #42 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Oslo
“Ok, but was expecting more.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Location
Excellent service
No gold recognition. No upgrade, no welcome gift.
Award price (compared to Radisson Blu)

Price: 50.000 club Carlson points per night

Originally I wanted to book the Radisson Blu which is located closer to the circular quay, where we would spend NYE. But as I was paying with club Carlson points, I had to choose the other Radisson which solely was available. This redemption was 50.000 points a night, which to be honest, is a lot, especially since the Radisson Blu (supposedly a five stars), costs the same.

Anyway, the situation being like it was I was happy to have found a decent hotel for points at the end of december. We would make the most of it.

The hotel is located in a relatively quiet street (one way traffic, but the monorail passes here), and a few meters from Chinatown. It does not smell Chinese food in the hotel nor the room as I read in some other review, that is plainly ridiculous. But there are plenty of Korean, Thai, Japanese and Chinese restaurants around, which is great as we love asian food. It is also close to darling harbour and plenty of attractions for singles and families.

Our room was according to my request on the 8th floor, but we were not upgraded despite my Gold status. There was no welcome gift in our room either. The room itself was nice, quite large, with a king bed and a small kitchen area. Kitchen utensils can be borrowed from the hotel. We did not use that. There was no Nespresso machine but instant coffee and a French press with grounded coffee.

The bathroom was ok but dated. Amenities were also ok, but again nothing exceptional.

Room was clean but you could see that they will need to renovate some areas of the room, and do some painting soon.

Conclusion
No regrets, mainly because of the location and the excellent service, but I missed the little extras. So next time I will try the Radisson Blu next time which costs the same amount of points.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week with our 3 year old.

At first I was surprised at how tired the rooms looked, after reading the great reviews, but then after only a few hours I realised why people spoke so highly of this place.

Yes a little tired in the rooms, but who cares when you deal with the staff and each and every one of them offers 5* service. Nothing was ever too much trouble and everything was done with care and attention.

We did not eat here, so I cannot comment on this. But great location, great nights sleep and great staff. Thank you, we will certainly look out for further Radissons on our travels.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Radisson Hotel and Suites is the perfect location for a long weekend. The staff throughout our entire stay were friendly, knowledgable and customer centric. The restaurant's food and service is flawless. We stayed in a business class room and this was clean, spacious and well appointed. The only criticism is we could here the noise from the street during the night, but I have no doubt that if we had asked to be moved they would have accommodated us if they could. When I asked my 8 year old son if he enjoyed his weekend in Sydney more than our month in Ireland he said "yes" and that's because the breakfast was a 10/10 :). Thank you for making our stay almost perfect.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Meggsmac101
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Good location next to Darling Harbour & Chinatown. Free shuttle bus to Circular quay, just 1 block away from hotel. Lots of convenience stores in neighbourhood, to buy food for unit.

Easy walk to Circular quay -- approx 25 minutes -- can catch ferries to zoo, Manley beach, etc from there.

also close to train stations to neighbouring suburbs.

Good size, well-equipped 1-bedroom unit -- kitchen provides opportunity to buy foods and eat-in breakfast, and other meals, if desired.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank honeybee1951
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed February 7, 2013

We encountered the need for hospitalization of one of our group for about 27 hours. The staff tolerated our changing plans three times while we didn't know how soon we could get on to the next city and hotel, which was Melbourne and the Radisson there (which also was extremely helpful during this time). And they did it with a smile and an offer for more service if we needed it.
Service was great, food was good, hotel is handy to points of interest, all staff were friendly.

Room Tip: We rented the suite which had a lot of space.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Maroochydore
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Having stayed in the property for the first time later last year, I was offered a 50% off voucher for my next stay. This is what was written: Gift certificate includes 50% off the best available rate on your next stay at the hotel.

When I got to book my next stay which was a 4 night stay in their business class suite in July 2013 (the period I like to book is 6 months away and it is not during our school holiday or any special events). I was told by the reservation & revenue supervisor that the offer is for one night only. She argued that the voucher has "conditions apply" printed on the back of it. As I thought this is very plain English that it is written "50% for my next stay" meaning it is not for "one night only". Instead to write " 50% off my next 1st night stay" is much clearer and simple if they really meant that.

The supervisor could just simply apologise their misused of wording on the voucher but instead she insisted this is the policy and they have the rights to the terms & conditions.

To be honest even at half price, the hotel was rather average. What borders me is their attitude of dealing with customers at management level. From memory all their front staff were helpful courteous & friendly except from the front desk manager (? Indian male manager). This is the second time I deal with their management level and the experience has again left me with a very bad taste. It definitely put me off staying there again.

I believe customer service standard not only need to be high, but also be uniform across an organisation.

What would you expect a business be like if their management level is not doing the right thing and put themselves in the customer's position..

Room Tip: Do not go near there. Very rude management staff.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank MaroochydoreLam
Brazil
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel just after Christmas, for 3 nights and had a great time. We stayed in a double room/double suite and it was perfect for a couple and 3 teenagers. The room was very clean, quiet and even had a small kitchen. The breakfast (included) was also good with many options. We liked the location too, just a few steps from Darling Harbour and Sydney Tower.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family