“Customer Service Skills Needed”

Metro Hotel on Pitt
Ranked #50 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Newcastle, Australia
“Customer Service Skills Needed”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed in the Superior Queen Deluxe on the 7th floor in April. It was a very nice room, the bed was comfortable, it was clean, modern, the shower was very roomy and the water pressure excellent. The morning and late evening staff were friendly and helpful.

There wasn't a view from the window. I've seen so many reviews complaining about this but look at it from this perspective: The Metro on Pitt is a seven floor building amongst buildings with 40+ floors. The streets are narrow. Of course you're not going to have a view of anything.

For overseas travellers: Australia is a very expensive country. If you think the prices at Metro are expensive and that you don't get value for money, think again. For a hotel in Sydney, the Metro is fairly inexpensive.

For the people who were complaining about getting tiny rooms: You get what you pay for. If you pay for a budget room, it's not going to be a massive room with a suite. Once again, Australia is expensive. NSW is the most expensive state. What is expensive to you probably isn't for us.

I liked the room very much and it was very comfortable.

Car parking is about a block away at World Square.

My complaint is with the afternoon reception staff who was snooty and unfriendly. Customer service goes a long way and after the experience I had, I chose not to return for my next trip to Sydney.

To the hotel's credit, they offered me a free upgrade for the next time, but I refused. I do thank them for the gesture, but I really didn't feel comfortable going back.

Room Tip: The building only has seven floors so don't expect to have great views from any of them.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Musska
Lisa K, Guest Relations Manager at Metro Hotel on Pitt, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Musska,

Thank you for your glowing review of our property. I am glad that you found most aspcts of your stay met a high standard, though I am very sorry that you experienced issues some staff members.
I assure you that it is not common for any of our staff to behave in a manner that might be considered snooty and I am very much concerned. I will certainly be looking in to the matter and discussing with those involved.

Once again I would like to sincerely apologise for what has transpired and hope that you might still give Metro Hotel on Pitt a chance to improve your impression of us.

Duty Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Metro on Pitt was great. The room was nice and big easily fitting two people comfortably. We stayed on the 6th floor in a Superior Queen room.

Laura was of great assistance helping me print off some papers and helping with train times (we are not from Sydney) Cannot comment on pool or fitness centre (not sure if they had one?)

Thank you for making us feel very welcomed, we will definitely return!

Daniel & Georgia.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel R
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your lovely review, we certainly enjoyed having you here. Its always fun to have guests who also work in Hospitality staying with us and I think good reviews mean so much more coming from people who know the industry so well.

As always, we hope to see you again at Metro Hotel on Pitt, perhaps for further discussion on reservation and operation systems.

Laura van Lindt,
Sydney
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in a twin bed room. The room is very small, and the 2 single beds don't have brakes and moves around very easily we had to put a chair in between to prevent it from moving! The facility in the room and the hotel is very basic. The bathroom sink doesn't drain very well, and most frustrating thing is the swipe card for the door is very hard to use! Good location though. The money we paid were not cheap, and we were disappointed with the stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank ChoHan_13
Lisa K, Guest Relations Manager at Metro Hotel on Pitt, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear ChoHan_13,

While I can not be sure which room you stayed in, I would say it was probably a standard twin. As the name indicates, this is one of our lower level rooms and we do offer others of higher quality for only a small ammount more.
Should you choose to stay at metro Hotel on Pitt again, I would highly reccomend one of these.

Wagga Wagga
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Good location, clean rooms and everything you need for a short stay but the beds were very uncomfortable, felt every lump and the pillows died a long time ago. Come on Metro comfortable beds and pillows would give you the highest rating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joanne R
Dear Joanne R,

Thank you for taking time to review Metro Hotel on Pitt. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our location as well as the function of the room though I am sorry you have found the bed uncomfortable. it is not common for us to recieve complaints of that nature and, though i can not be sure which room you were in, I will certainly endeavour to resolve the issue.

I do hope that you will still consider Metro Hotel on Pitt for your next trip to Sydney as we would appreciate the opportunity to provide you with an improved experience.

Canberra AUS
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Metro did the job for a convenient night's stay. We stayed for one Capitol Theatre night which is an easy 300m walk away. Also short walking distance to trains, Pitt street mall and Hyde Park. Darling Harbour a little further but still not far to walk. I'd stay clear of George St at night. The superior deluxe queen room was compact, comfy and functional, so you could assume the standard rooms are a tight fit. Staff were pleasingly succinct and friendly. This is a relatively quiet spot in the city but still some of Sydney on a Saturday night noise spilled into our Level 3 street front room - all part of the regular CBD experience I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with minimal street noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelabit_10
Dear Travelabit_10

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Metro Hotel on Pitt and were able to take advantage of our fantastic location in the middle of the city.
I am sorry you experienced some issues with street noise, should you choose to stay with us again, we will do our best to allocate you a quieter room on a higher floor.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times, the location for the price, can't be beaten. It can be noisy, not in the hotel itself but the traffic noise outside. We wear ear-plugs because there will always be a siren going past at 3am. The rooms are of various sizes, I was on level four in room #2 this visit. Bed was starting to lose some of the firmness but it was ok. Everything you need is in the room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RosieCanberra
Dear RosieCanberra,

Thank you for your review of your property. We are very grateful that you chose Metro Hotel on Pitt for your visits to Sydney and that you have received a great product and great services on all occasions.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit and appreciate the opportunity to continue providing you with excellent service.

usa
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Great service hotel. They remove the charges for internet access since April. Second time stay. The room is small. it is the best price hotel in Sydney for your money. Good location to walking portion of Pitt street, Darling Harbor. Free bus 555 to Quary.

Room Tip: upper floor at the back is quiet. Pitt Street is very busy
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Fun888,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Metro Hotel on Pitt for a second time. I am so pleased to hear that this stay was as good as the last and that you took advantage of our newly free WiFi service.

We do hope you continue to return to Metro Hotel on Pitt for any future Sydney Trips, our staff always enjoy welcoming back a familiar face.

King Regards,