“Fanatastic hotel and location, but be careful re room selection”
Review of Park Hyatt Sydney

Park Hyatt Sydney
Ranked #4 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Just back from a five-night award stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney. I'll echo the other enthusiastic reviews by saying that this is a fantastic hotel in a unique location--the only hotel right on Circular Quay, an area right on the Sydney Harbor with an array of glorious views as well as many bars and restaurants and a ferry terminal.

Wonderful harbor views from the hotel itself, as many have noted. A pleasant, ten-minute walk right along the harbor to where the ferries depart to many other parts of Sydney (e.g., Manly Beach) and from where buses depart to other parts (e.g., Bondi beach) if you don't want to shell out for a taxi. (Though if you're paying for a room at the Hyatt, spending money on taxis to even distant parts of the city probably isn't a concern!) Perhaps a 20-minute walk to the beautiful Botanic Garden and to parts of the central business/shopping district. And taxis are easy to get right at the hotel.

Service was excellent in terms of any requests or questions we had. The room service menu is a bit limited, but the couple of times we used it the meals were very good and the delivery was very fast--I'd actually rate this (on the very limited basis of just using it twice) the best room service I've ever had in terms of the combination or quality and speed. The fitness center is rather small--perhaps five exercise machines and an equal number of weight machines--but the machinery is in good shape and the center was never crowded any of the mornings I used it. Nice to have a (very small) pool and a jacuzzi on the roof, though we didn't use these because the hotel is situated such that the harbor views from most rooms are better.

Free computer access/internet use from the three terminals in the business center for 30 minutes at a time (though now one was checking this when we were there).

We had the most basic room, but it was certainly large enough for our purposes and was otherwise quite fine and comfortable. Very solid double glass doors to shut out most noise from the harbor. Sound-proofing between rooms pretty good but not perfect: We heard a bit of noise from the occasionally crying baby and parents in the next room, but it wasn't bad. I could see how this could be an issue if one had really noisy neighbors, but I'm sure that under such circumstances the hotel would do its best to accommodate you in another room unless it was full.

The hotel's shape is hard to describe, but I'll try because it pertains to the somewhat important matter of room location and views. All rooms run along one side of the corridor in this basically L-shaped (though somewhat curvy) building, with the long part of the L jutting out into the harbor and the short part of the L running along the water.

I'd categorize the location of the rooms in five ways. I provide my best guess regarding the room numbers for each category, but please take this with a big grain of salt since I did not check this carefully. Those who do want to check this out in advance might want to email the hotel to see if it can provide a room map. In any event, those categories:

1. Those at the tip of the long end of the L, extending into the harbor the most, seem to be the suites and have the best views of the harbor and its iconic Opera House. Folks who pay the highest rates and/or have the highest Hyatt status (Diamond?) would want to get these. My guess is that these might be about room numbers 02-05 on each floor.
2. As one faces the harbor, the worst-located rooms, which you'd want to avoid, would be those on your left, running a short way down the long side of the L. These are below and face the Sydney Bridge (which itself is beautiful, but much better viewed from a greater distance) and do not have harbor views. I believe that there are only a small number of such rooms, with their numbers perhaps 00-01.
3. Facing the harbor, running down the entire right side of the long part of the L, there are numerous rooms that provide a view of both the harbor and parts of the city skyline. In and of themselves, these views are fine, but the don't provide an even better view of the Opera House unless you lean out and look to your left. The numbers are about 06-31 or 32.
4. Most of the short part of the L, running along the water but not jutting out into it, provides better harbor and Opera House views than #3, but I believe none of them are suites and the views are more distant from the Opera House than those in #1. We were in room 233, in the curve of where the two parts of the L meet. It provided a fine view of the OH from the balcony but not from the room itself. To get a view of the OH from the room itself, I would think you'd want to start at 34 or 35. Those that directly face the OH probably run from about 35 to 44 (??).
5. The final two or three rooms (45 and 46?) at the end of the short part of the L begin to curve away from facing the OH. Folks in these rooms may well get views of the OH (and of course the harbor) from the rooms themselves and more likely from their balconies, but I can't be sure, so these may be slightly inferior to the rest of the short part of the L.

I'd like to add a few other matters to be aware of regarding the rooms:

1. The hotel has three levels on which rooms are located (in addition to the ground floor, where the lobby, restaurant, etc. are located.) Level three, as the highest, would of course be most preferred for taking in a view (over a glass of wine, if you like and as we like), but unlike other levels its balconies are not covered against the rain. It rained a couple of evenings when we were there, but being on level two we were able to sit on our balcony and comfortably watch it (including something of a thunder and lightning show one evening). We would not have been able to do so from level three. On a windy evening, though, the rain could come in onto any balcony on any level, since at least for the regular rooms they are on the small side and not too deep.
2. One out of every three rooms does not have a balcony large enough to sit on--it's very small and just set up for standing. Unless you don't plan on using the balcony at all (which would be a shame), you'd definitely want to get a room with a sit-down balcony that comes with a couple of comfortable chairs on it.
3. For our award stay (and with my Hyatt status just being Gold), I'd emailed ahead to the hotel asking, since this trip commemorated a special event for us, to have a room in the small part of the L facing the OH and with a balcony that one could sit on. The response from the hotel was that it would try to provide the best view available and (incorrectly) that all balconies had furniture on them and were large enough to sit on. Upon arrival, we were initially given a City/Harbor View Deluxe room (207), which was rather large but did not face the OH and that had the stand-only balcony. After I mentioned my previous correspondence to the reception person who showed us to the room, she checked into matters and came back with a duty manager who showed us to 233 instead. 233 was a regular room smaller than the 207 deluxe room (but still certainly large enough), and as I mentioned did now offer a view of the OH from the room itself, but only from the balcony. Still, on balance it was a definite improvement. The points of my story are that it might help to write ahead with such a request; that the Hyatt's initial handling of the matter (including the incorrect information re the balcony and not seeming aware of my previous correspondence when we checked in) was disappointing; but that the hotel nicely redeemed itself by giving us the kind of room we'd requested (and which, I realize, we had not been guaranteed).

Our budget is such that we could not have afforded the $700+ that the hotel normally charges for rooms. But as an award stay, this was a wonderful, unique experience. Those who have the cash or points to stay at the hotel will love the place itself as well as the location. Those who don't, might look into the nearby Holiday Inn, which is not on the harbor itself but (at least judging from the outside) offers harbor views from its upper floors.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Southside
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2010

Thank you to the author for what is certainly the most detailed review I have ever read on Tripadvisor! We really appreciate the time and effort taken to review our hotel and especially when the review is so detailed.
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and also enjoyed our waterfront location. In regards to our rooms, views and room features, our website lists all of these details and also shows pictures for guests to see. This will be most helpful to any guest in selecting the room or suite that best fits their requirements.
Thank you once again for taking so much time to review Park Hyatt Sydney and I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 14, 2010

Do yourself a favour and treat yourself to this hotel. The service was like I have never ever experienced before.

The head Conciegre, Cameron, Is an amazing person, nothing was too difficult.

Fantastic Hotel - Fantasic Location

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2010

Thank you to the author for your kind review of Park Hyatt Sydney. I am thrilled to hear that you found our service to be of a very high level.
I have personally shared your review with Cameron and have nominated him for our staff recognition program.
I do hope that we can welcome you back to Park Hyatt Sydney in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed February 7, 2010

My husband & I started our 3 week Australia itinerary with a 3 night stay in an opera room at the Sydney Park Hyatt. We arrived 7 hrs. late because a huge dust storm caused havoc with our flight from Los Angeles, but check-in was very fast & attentive. Little coupons we had for complimentary refreshments were redeemed, plus welcome champagne & chocolate-covered strawberries from our travel agent were already in our room when we entered. It's as if the staff quickly assessed our travel weariness & got us settled without fuss.
Despite our 40 hour travel ordeal, we revived is less than a half hour. The room was wonderful--very, very clean, airy, comfortable, nice bed, perfect linens--everything you would expect of a 5-star property. Of course, the incomparable view of the Opera House from the balcony made us forget our fatigue & we began to enjoy our holiday from the very first moment.
Despite our speedy check-in, we had very little time to get to our reserved Bridge Climb & the concierge assisted us most ably. We loved the concierge here as they helped us also with our day trip to the Blue Mountains as well as with little & big recommendations throughout our stay. They seemed to pick up on our interests & preferences very quickly. They also never failed to ask us how our plans went--it made our stay very warm & personable.
We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but it was wonderful. I had stayed here once before in 2004 & breakfast was abysmal at that time. Now it was good & with a better entrance to the dining room. Service & check-in has improved since 2004 as well. We can't imagine how anything could have been better.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2010

Thank you to the author for your kind review of Park Hyatt Sydney. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I was particularly pleased to hear that you noticed some improvements in the hotel since your last stay. I will be sure to share your comments with my team and also the Food and Beverage team who will all be pleased to hear your review.
We do try to adapt our service to each guests individual needs so it is most pleasing to hear that we have been successful in doing so. Certainly our view speaks for itself but most importantly is the level of service that really matters to our guests.
Thank you once again for taking the time to review Park Hyatt Sydney and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

The Park Hyatt Sydney rates among the best hotels I've experienced (Peninsula Hong Kong, Claridge's London, George V Paris etc.). The most gorgeous location in Sydney, outstanding service, immaculate and comfortable rooms, excellent restaurant and bar.

Sparking and near perfect bathrooms, beautiful linens, unobtrusive room make-up and turn down, speedy room service and requests for transportation arrangements etc. were handled timely and accurately. We stayed at the hotel over Australia Day and the information from the staff about the festivities around the harbor and elsewhere around the city was wonderful and made us feel Australian for the day! Kudos to a world class hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank travel_ocean

Thank you to the author for your very kind review of Park Hyatt Sydney. It is certainly very pleasing to hear you rate us amoungst those most distinguished hotels. The staff here will be most pleased to hear this and I will be sure to share it with them.
I'm also glad to hear that you enjoyed the Australia Day celebrations in the City. We certainly enjoy the perfect location right in The Rocks with some festivities moving right in front of the hotel.
I do hope that I can welcome you back to Park Hyatt Sydney in the near future and thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed February 1, 2010

We arrived at 6.30am from the U.K. tired and jet lagged but were looked after immediately. A room to shower and change was made available straight away as check-in wasn't supposed to be until the afternoon. Complimentary cofffee and tea delivered to the room. Our luggage looked after. As soon as our room was ready - later that morning - we were contacted by phone and got taken to our Opera Delux Room. The location and views from the hotel are outstanding. Service was attentive and friendly. A very good hotel that we would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you to the author for taking the time to review Park Hyatt Sydney. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and its service and facilities.
We certainly do try to have our guests rooms ready at time of arrival however, sometimes when it is not possible, we supply guests with an area to shower and change and we also have an early morning arrivals lounge where our guests can relax.
I'm also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room. Our Opera Deluxe Rooms in particular have some of the best views in Sydney and are all double the size of our regular rooms.
I do hope that you will choose Park Hyatt Sydney for your next visit to Sydney and thank you once again for your review.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed in the Opera room with a direct view of the Opera House; room was spacious and the bathroom to die for. We also held our wedding ceremony & reception on the rooftop terrace - staff are extremely professional, courteous and efficient. The service is excellent on all fronts, highly recommended and one of our favourite high end hotels.

• Stayed: December 2009

Thank you to the author for your kind review of Park Hyatt Sydney and congratulations on your recent wedding. I am thrilled that you chose to celebrate your special day with us.
As your picture shows, our rooftop terrace enjoys fantastic views over the Sydney Opera House and Harbour. A fantastic setting for a wedding indeed.
I hope that we can welcome you back to Park Hyatt Sydney in the near future - perhaps for your first wedding anniversary!

Reviewed January 22, 2010

You could not get a better location than your bedroom, meters above the blue Pacific harbour and right opposite the spectacular Opera House. You can walk 'round the quays, take a boat anywhere and you are downtown. The rooms are stunning. Each like a small suite large TV, DVD, in room bar. Breakfast in your room with the sliding doors open with a view like that is just wonderful.Ther is a huge marble bathroom, very large shower and bath, huge towels. Large floor to ceiling windows give you a magnificent view of the harbour and as the hotel is built on historic land, it is only allowed to be three floors high. There is a pool on the top floor. You lie there in the sun sipping a cocktail looking at a view that is stunning. The staff are young and very attentive with a typical Aussi informality. Their restaurant is one of the finest in Sydney. We have stayed there six times now & we live in Paris.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank amadeaus
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2010

Thank you to the author for your kind review of Park Hyatt Sydney. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay nearly as much as we enjoyed having you.
I will be sure to share your review of the hotel with the team as we value the comments that our guests leave us. The team shall be very pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay and the hotel.
I do hope that I can welcome you back to Park Hyatt Sydney in the near furture.