“Pleasant”
Review of Park Hyatt Sydney

Park Hyatt Sydney
Ranked #4 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Stayed here back in the day in the mid 90s when I was very young. I remember it being a very nice hotel. Rooms were good and so was food. Nice views.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
CameronGriffiths, Guest Services Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2011

Dear trentmeister69,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Park Hyatt Sydney. Our team was very happy to hear you have enjoyed your stay with us in the past, and we hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future,

We are delighted to inform that we are getting closer to reopening Park Hyatt Sydney after emerging from a dramatic transformation within all areas of the hotel. The project due for completion in late 2011 will involve a complete revitalization of the hotel, setting a new benchmark in contemporary luxury.

Thank you again for your feedback, I hope you can make the trip back to Sydney for anoth stay at our newly transforned Park Hyatt Sydney.

E: cameron.griffiths@hyatt.com

Reviewed April 6, 2011

My husband and I had a romantic weekend at the Park Hyatt after snapping up a advertised deal. We had a beautiful opera view room. It was big and spacious, with a bigger than average king size bed and a beautiful marble bathroom. The view of the harbour and the opera house was gorgeous! Breakfast was included in our deal and was probably the only disappointment - the choices were limited and food was prepared in a hurry to keep up with the demand. Otherwise we couldn't fault anything. We received a bottle of bubbles & strawberries on arrival and the concierge got us into a booked out restaurant. We also had a $100 voucher to use within the hotel which was spent in the bar on a fantastic burger and a few glasses of wine. I loved it and am hoping to get taken back there soon! The atmosphere down there is just magical.

Room Tip: look for special deals as this hotel is expensive
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear author of this review.

Our team was very happy to hear of the enjoyment you received from your stay in April, and glad we could help yoiu creae the perfect romantic getaway. Thank you for your kind words about our concierge team, I have passed on your kind words and positive feedback about your experience to our teams who were appreciative.

Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to personally welcoming your return stay to our newly transforned Park Hyatt Sydney.

E: cameron.griffiths@hyatt.com

Reviewed April 5, 2011

I was skeptical as to whether it would be worth the money but I have to say between the fantastic views (opera view suite), great location, and superb concierge I am now sure it was. The staff was so friendly, when we came in from our international flight early in the morning they let us use the spa facilities to clean up so we could enjoy the day instead of waiting around for our room. The greatest thing, though, was the concierge. We booked several dinner reservations through the concierge including one reservation that I was told was "unavailable" by the restaurant. I think what sets apart a luxury hotel is the service and they didn't let us down. The rooms are slightly dated, but the hotel is now closed for a six-month renovation, so any defects (I thought the room was nice but it did have a 90s style bathroom) should be cured. We enjoyed the restaurant, but we did only eat there for breakfast and one lunch - as I recall now we had a really nice waffle one breakfast (so many places can't do them right or manage to serve them hot) and a fantastic burrata appetizer at lunch. I also used the spa for a massage and the masseuse was good (I had a deep tissue and you need to get someone who knows what they're doing for that) and the massage room was beautiful. Over our four day stay we really had no complaints - ok one, they need to stop charging for internet access it is just ridiculous at their price level- and would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
CameronGriffiths, Guest Services Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

Thank you for your kind words, I was very happy to hear your positive feedback about your stay with us, and that my concierge team were able to use their influence and contacts to elevate the experience. I have passed on your kind words to my team and chef Andrew Mckee, who was delighted to here you enjoyed his Brussels waffle recipe. The secret he tells me is in the yeast.

I am delighted to inform that we are currently undertaking a dramatic transformation within all areas of the hotel, including our bathrooms. The project due for completion in November will involve a complete revitalization of the hotel, setting a new benchmark in contemporary luxury.

Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to personally welcoming your return stay to our new look 'mansion by the harbour'.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

To begin...we were extremely excited to be staying at another Park Hyatt. We had stayed in the Park Hyatt in Melbourne a few weeks before and LOVED it! Unfortunately the chain is not consistent.

This hotel is one of the most expensive hotels in Sydney. It's location cannot be beat. It has a great reputation, but lacked in most areas. The room was old and worn. We had a room with the view of the opera house and that was AMAZING. It's fitness/spa center is tiny and the pool area lacked any amenities. We had spa services. There was only 2 massage rooms, a sauna and a steam room which is used by everyone in the hotel. There was no "relaxation room" so we decided to use the jacuzzi prior to getting our treatment. The treatments were, standard, and the ladies were sweet, but it was nothing to write home about. The hotel staff, in general, was snooty and did not seem to want to be bothered. We are used to this attitude in the USA, but after we had been in Australia for a month we were more than disappointed in their hospitality.

Because this is an extremely expensive hotel and one of the highest rated I would have expected much more. Maybe they can learn a thing or two from their sister property in Melbourne.

Very disappointed.

1  Thank thrPRICESareRIGHT

Warm greetings, and thank you to the author for your review of Park Hyatt Sydney.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Melbourne, and at our sister property Park Hyatt Melbourne. It is also one of my favourite hotels for the attentive hotel teams, quiet location and world class facilities. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed the location of our hotel in the historic 'Rocks' district, and the view of the iconic Sydney Opera House from your room. We like think we have one of the best backyards in the world.

Our apologies that the customer service your experienced did not meet your expectations, and that you felt there was a lack of consistency between our two properties. As a brand, Park Hyatt should always equate to a similar ambience and experience with subtle regional differences.
This is certainly something that I will personally work on over our refurbishment period, to strengthen brand continuity from one property to the next.

You will also be pleased to know that our Iluka spa, gymnasium and rooftop pool area will be a major focus of our refurbishment and will incorporate many new treatment rooms and facilities to provide our guests a world class destination to relax and unwind.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you be planning a return stay to Sydney, so we might have another opportunity to show you a more refined service experience.

All the best for the year and kind regards,

Reviewed March 7, 2011

We cashed Hyatt Passport Points to stay at Sydney Park Hyatt. What a big different from Y Hotel Hyde Park! (Read my previous review of Y Hotel Hyde Park). The hotel is about 10 minute walk to Circular Quay. We did not get the Opera room, but our room faced Circular Quay and International Cruise Terminal. I was told that to use the Wi-Fi, I had to log on with my last name and room number as password. When I opened a browser, the log on screen was automatically populated with first name and last name of the guest who stayed in different room. For privacy reason, it wasn’t good. I explained the system issue to the front desk. Internet is free for Hyatt Platinum members. One day the front desk helped me to mail several postcards free of charge but the next day other staff asked me “would you like to pay $2.10 for the postcard stamps or bill to the room?”

The heat wave caused the temperature to jump to 42 C. It was the perfect time to try the roof-top pool. I notice a popular restaurant “Pancake on the Rocks”, just 5 minute walk. We did not eat there because the line was too long. We decided to dine at Hyatt Harbor Kitchen. We ordered McLeay Valley rabbit braised in balsamic with fregola, marjoram, pecorino and Tasmanian wilderness beef short rib with tamarind, molasses glaze, watercress, horseradish. The sauce was so overwhelming that I could not taste the meat at all. The food was unappealing (see photos) and looked like what Fiona serves Shrek every morning. Overall, the hotel and restaurant service were excellent but food is not good.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
CameronGriffiths, Guest Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2011

Warm greetings from Sydney and thank you to the author for your review of Park Hyatt.
I trust your overall time in Sydney, and the postcard perfect weather left positive memories on your time 'down under'.

With regard to the number of service lapses you experienced during your recent stay with us, firstly our apologies that we were on this occasion unable to exceed your expectations and offer our usual seamless service experience. We welcome our guest feedback as a way to refine and refocus our operations, please rest assured that your points of concern have been passed onto the respective department heads for corrective action and to prevent recurrence.

You will be pleased to know that during our refurbishment period we will be focusing on all our received guest feedback, to strengthen any areas of opportunity to enhance our world class product and service.

I look forward to personally welcoming your return stay to our 'mansion by the harbour', and will be at your disposal should you require any further assistance.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2011

We loved the Park Hyatt Sydney. We had a deluxe Opera View Suite with a balcony and floor to ceiling windows. The suite, one very large room with sitting area, is furnished in a contemporary style and has a beautiful bathroom. The view overlooking the Opera House is breathtaking. Pictures that you see do not do it justice. It is fun to be able to walk out of the hotel and be right on the wharf. There is so much excitement and activity there with lots of cafes, restaurants and boats cruising the inner harbor.

We had dinner one night in the hotel dining room and the food was only okay, but the atmosphere and harbor views made it worth while.

The staff is gracious and competent--most eager to help in any way. This is a luxury hotel, and worth every penny. We walked by many other hotels and feel that this is the best place to stay while visiting Sydney. We can't wait to return.

3  Thank discerningNJ
FOM1Sydney, Front Office Manager at Park Hyatt Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2011

Thank you to the author for your review of Park Hyatt Sydney. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would return to stay again.
I do apologise though, for the restaurant food not being to your expectations. I will be sure to pass your review on to the Executive Chef who will no doubt look into it.
I hope that I can welcome you back to Park Hyatt Sydney in the near future and thank you once again for taking the time to review the hotel.
Regards,
Leigh Shepheard
Front Office Manager

Reviewed February 20, 2011

We stayed at the park hyatt for five days in jan 2011 and have to say,everything about this hotel is first class.Situated in the rocks area our view from the room was of the sydney opera house and harbour.The bar was a very relaxed affair with excellent staff as was the breakfast restaurant which had the added bonus of floor to ceiling glass windows allowing views of the bridge,harbour and opera house.Concierge were probably the best concierge i have ever dealt with,providing us with ashes tickets,restaurant reservations and driving out to a poorly managed hotel in the hunter valley to pick up some items i had left there and posted them onto our next port of call,even though we had left the park hyatt four days prior(a big thankyou to bruce and grant btw).We would never stay anywhere else in Sydney.One other thing, the hotel is closing for a refurb in march , so should be even better when it re-opens

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lbkgooner

Thank you to the author for your review of Park Hyatt Sydney. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, to Bruce and Grant for the return of your lost property from another hotel. Both Bruce and Grant have been with the hotel for a long time and always go above and beyond to assist our guests. I have had the pleasure of sharing your review with them both who were very pleased to hear your feedback.
We are certainly looking forward to our renovation this year which will see an even better Park Hyatt Sydney in late 2011. I hope that we can welcome you back to see first hand the improvements right around the hotel.
Regards,