“Well located to Darling Harbour and wonderful place to stay”

Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
Ranked #71 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“Well located to Darling Harbour and wonderful place to stay”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Travelled here on business, rooms were wonderful, clean and the place was well located to Darling Harbour. Great restaurant, a full on great place to stay for business. Rooms were just perfect.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank bigandblack
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, October 5, 2009
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Guest feedback is extremely important to us as this ensures we continually improve our standards and procedures to ensure we deliver the highest level of service to you our valuable guest.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 7, 2009

As with most people that have written reviews on this hotel I was staying here because it was part of a conference package with the conference being located at the convention centre. On this basis it was a good location (in fact generally a good location). However, it wasn't great value for money. I am sure the conference rates are not the best value and that is possible to find better rates than the one that we paid. The room we had was large with two double beds a sofa and a desk. This appeared not to be a standard room as my colleagues had much smaller rooms. The hotel were very happy to allow early check in and to provide non feather pillows and duvets when asked. The room was clean and well stocked with towels, toiletries etc. The bathroom was ok but we never managed to get the hot/cold taps sorted out for the shower. Bathroom and public areas (particuarly landings) could have seen better days. As expected internet and minibar were a rip off. The gym was small but functional and pool a little tired.

Generally the staff were really nice and helpful. However, there is no business centre for normal punters. The business centre is only for airline cabin crew (which as well as conference delegates seemed to be the mainstay of the business). If you want to print you need to email down to reception which is a little odd.

Breakfast was standard hotel fayre. Not sure if it was good value as was part of the package

2 Thank LucyFM
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, September 29, 2009
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Minnesota
Reviewed August 31, 2009

Novotel in Darling harbor Sydney. We stayed in this hotel for the
second
time, not because we enjoyed the first time, but because it is located
very close
to the conference center and was booked by the organizers. The hotel is
located at the harbor and there is a nice view of the water, although it
is is partially
obstructed by the road. We arrived from the US early in the morning and
booked the room for extra night prior to our arrival so we could have
the room
As soon as when we arrive. However, our room was not ready yet, which
was
not very convenient after paying for the extra night and long flight.
The
Check-in process could be smoother and it seems that the person at the
desk
was not in his greatest mood that morning. Then room was specious but
the
beds were small and not too comfortable. There is a coffee machine in
the
room. The room and the hotel are not well maintained and probably not
object
to renovation. There were stains on the carpet in our room and in the
hall
The Internet service is not free and not very fast either; the hotel is
listed in our corporate internet provider (iPass) but despite repeated
daily attempts we were not able to connect and were forced to pay: not
sure if this was on purpose. Breakfast was not included. There is small
fitness
room, which was insufficient, mainly when there is conference and most
of the
people are from baby boom generation and trying to shed some pounds.
One of the
2 exercise machines was broken for the entire visit and there was no
attempt
to fix it. The hotel managements are probably trying to save some money
and
turn off the air-conditioning or the electricity several times during
the
night which make you wake up in the middle of the night in sweat and
trying
to turn it on again. The highlight of our visit to the hotel was the
person
who runs to coffee shop in the lobby, who was extremely nice and even
remembered after one day what we liked to order.
Overall the hotel is graded as four starts, we would take away one star
for now.
RSRMN score 5/10

3 Thank RSTMN
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Stayed in 2006 whilst on a work conference held at the convention centre.

The views are great, although the rooms are small. Had an argument with my girlfriend before, yet she dropped by and we made up as the Darling Harbour views worked magic.

Novotel Sydney On Darling Harbour is located adjacent to the Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre with a convenient direct connection to the Central Business District via Monorail. It is perfectly situated just minutes away from Sydney's most popular attractions including Sydney Aquarium, Powerhouse Museum and Star City.

Recommend

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank gregnazvanov
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Assistant to General Manger at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, August 30, 2009
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Melbourne
Reviewed August 23, 2009

As we arrived in Darling Harbour early on Saturday morning at 8.30, we decided to park our rental car at the Novotel Darling Harbour, where later in the day we would be staying. We understood that check in was 2pm, so we dropped off our lugguge and decided to start our experience in Darling Harbour..e.g the Aquarium & Wildlife park and a look aroung the immediate area. On our return to the hotel at 2.45pm we were told there was a delay in getting our room (executive queen and single habour view, no rollaway bed ..their description of the room, not mine) and to please enjoy a drink at the bar on the house..Wow that's nice we thought.......2 hours later we were still waiting...we then recieved our much anticapated room key and rushed to the elevator knowing a hot shower would only be minutes away.
That is when my nightmare started..
I walked into the room, which if booked for just my partner and me would normally be average, but to clearly book a room for my family that states...A unique experience combining relation and focus. The executive room treats you like a VIP: more spacious, with a day bed sofa, all facilities of a superior room as well as Darling Harbour views. Up to 2 adults and child. No rollaway.

Oh my God...that was my response when I walked into the room that only had a Queen bed. Where is the other room? That was the next thing that came out of my mouth.
Back down stairs we go...Consider our day so far, 4am start 6.30 flight, full day in the city, quite tired and the response I get from the guy behind the counter..and this is exactly what he said word perfect.."I didn't book your room" AAArrrrrhhhhh.
No, we did and I'm sure that I didn't ask at the time of booking for a 2 hour wait and a side of your attitude. The next thing from this amazing Novotel Representive was the tried and true, "take a seat and we'll get the manager".
Now, here is when we had to justify our booking and the problems to the manager. We were dumb founded that at some point during the discussion the following comments were made to us, by the manager,"the day bed is used as a single bed normally". No, it 's a day bed . Not a bed that I want my daughter to sleep in, that is not what I booked. Secondly, " we will get you a roll away"......(See the room discription...NO rollaway). and my favorite comment from the management, "we only have 2 rooms with seperate bedrooms", and the closer, from the manager, "in my time in the industry I've never worked for a hotel that offers this service are you sure your not talking about serviced apartments....."?
Really, we travel at least once a month both locally in Melbourne, around Australia and Internationally, and have never had an issue like this. Now in some defence of the manager, here.... I must say the complimentary drink at the bar was nice, the knock at the door and the complementary champagne was a nice way of getting me drunk so I would sleep throught the stuck elevatar and it's alarm and the returning Bledisloe Cup rugby fans, so thanks for that.
My reponse to all this is, wake up Novotel, gifts and sincere apologise, are all nice and expected, but are just a way to smooth over the fact that you screwed up. Get your service looked at, if you are excepting a big weekend, staff up.
If you can't turn around your rooms in time why is it my fault? If you can't write a correct description of your rooms take some truthful photos, (oh you have, note the photo on your website of the family all in one bed....Is that your expectation?.... How funny) Novotel's website has all this advertising for families and how family friendly they are..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank kittycatAP
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Sydney Darling Harbour. I regret that your experience did not meet your expectations during your stay.

We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further if you would like to contact the hotel.
australia
Reviewed August 16, 2009

We stayed here prior to a cruise and shared a room with our two boys 8 & 4. What a fantastic room. Huge!!! Upgraded to the Deluxe Harbour view room and worth it. Room was clean and ready when we arrived.
Had breakfast at the hotel last morning and couldn't put it on our room account due to express checkout so was charged a surcharge for using american express card which wasn't happy about.
Breakfast was nice, with normal choices you would expect of this star rating hotel.
Best to get harbour view room, as it was a thrill for my son to watch the monorail go past, buses, boats etc. Plus so pretty at night.
Only issue we had was fire alarm went off, and we had to evacuate. Got youngest son out of bath and rushed out of room to downstairs, but nobody seemed to be assisting. Alot of confusion and front desk was still checking in people and ignored the alarms. So we all stood around outside until fire brigade said we could go back in. Was false alarm, but would hate to think what would happen in a real emergency. No one knew what was going on and no staff were evacuating. Needless to say our son had nightmares that night as was scared there was a fire! So thats the only downfall.
But location is excellent, easy access to Darling Harbour, food courts, restaurants, transport.
Room service was good with choices for children which is great. Spaghetti Bolognase was great - according to our boys.
Would we stay there again - absolutely. Room was wonderful and location sensational.
Just so long as the fire alams don't go off. total confusion. staff not helpful at all. One wet 4 year old dragged out of the bath - scared and cold.
Pool not heated so didn't use it, fitness centre looked good. Great place with kids.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank calekids
Blue Mountains, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We are advantage plus members and used our complimentary night for this booking, so our view is probably different to others, based on that.
We used an upgrade to a superior darling harbour view room for $30.
Unfortunately on all the accor websites there is not a section that describes each different grade of room and show photos of them, all other hotels do. That is a fault of the chain not this hotel.
We were very disappointed to be given a room on the 2nd floor (the first floor of rooms). Our darling harbour room showed us no harbour at all. We had a great view of the back and roof of Harbourside & a nice view of the buildings on the other side of the harbour. It did look lovely at night though. I am suure the views are much better from the higher floors.
The room was large with a queen bed, couch & desk. It was also very clean.
The disappointing part for us was the bed. It was obviously an older one, each time we moved you could feel and hear the springs move. The pillows were also very uncomfortable and squashed down to almost nothing.
I didn't like the shower over the bath in the bathroom but the rest of the room was modern and clean.
We could not find our tea making supplies, the jug was on top of the mini bar but no cups or supplies. After ringing reception we were told they were in the top drawer in the wardrobe, haven't come across that before.
Our breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very nice, with a good variety. lucky we get 2 for 1 dining with the accor card as we would not have paid $31 each for it. We have had breakfasts where fresh omelettes or eggs are made for you but the scrambled egg here wasn't warm at all.
Check in and out was fast and efficient.
It is convenient to the attractions around darling harbour & we had a wonderful dinner at Medusa just close by.
My husband said the room we got was probably what we should have expected as a complimentary, but I don't agree, we have paid for a good room through our subscription with Advantage plus, and it was an upgrade after all.
If I had paid full price I would have been very disappointed, I was so looking forward to this stay but the room was a let down for me. It was only overnight, so we didn't make a fuss.

1 Thank patkoaus
GM-Accor-DH, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, August 30, 2009