“Great Location & Views”

Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
Ranked #73 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed at the Novotel Darling Harbour with my family during the school holidays. Great for kids. Room was quite large with lots of space for them to spread out. Also a video game area in the lounge which was great for the kids to use, whilst we enjoyed a night cap. An outside pool which they used but is not heated. So did not use for long.
Very short walk to all activities & dining in Darling Harbour. 443 Bus just around the corner which takes you into CBD all the way to circular quay, which was very handy,
Staff were very friendly & helpful but the concierge was very difficult to get hold of from our room and had to go to concierge desk several times to get hold of him?
Downside was no free Internet & was very easy for kids to access via Ipods. We found out when we got our bill.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Write a ReviewReviews (4,646)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

On my trips to Sydney I usually stay at the Hilton on George Street for work. However, people I knew who work for Cathay Pacific recommended this hotel which they stay at during their layovers. I was a bit reluctant at first but was incredibly surprised!

The location of this Novotel is right at the doorstep of Darling Harbor which makes it great if you have an event at the Convention Center which is just next door or want to sample the array of food choices that are a stones throw away in Darling Harbor. Best of all, the hotel is just a few floors up from the Light Rail Station which makes it perfect if you want to go see the renowned Sydney Fish Markets (about three stops away) or need a cheap and easy connection to and from Sydney's airports. This Novotel also has easy access to the Pyrmont Bridge which makes it about a nice 10 minute walk towards Pitt Street. There is also a ferry terminal which is a short walk from the hotel leaving you the option to hop onboard a nice ferry ride to Circular Quay if you have the time to spare.

We stayed in a room on the 7th floor which faced Pyrmont (so no view of the City); however, on the first level there is a very nice balcony (and bar) where you can sit outside with some friends and enjoy a picturesque view of Sydney at day or night - something that wasn't available at the Hilton. In terms of the room itself, my girlfriend has stayed here before, but as my first experience, I found it well appointed, spacious and very clean. Housekeeping was efficient and I could not fault them - room was cleaned every day and amenities replenished as needed. The best thing was that they never came around too early meaning that I did not need to call the Concierge to get them to come around.

If there was something that did leave a speckle on my experience it was the pillows. The Novotel have this little insert brochure that states all the different pillows you can try. One of which was a "Polyfill" pillow that sounded really good. However, when I called the Concierge desk no one knew what this "Polyfill" pillow was and the lady kept thinking that I was referring to a "Polyester" pillow. Oh well...

The hotel breakfast is a fairly average hotel buffet breakfast. The juices they produce are lovely; however, some of the food felt a bit cold and I would have preferred the yoghurt to come in prepackaged tubs rather than just from a bowl that you scoop up from.

If there was something that I wasn't a fan of at this hotel it would be how much internet costs. For the amount we paid, the internet charges were very expensive. From memory it was around $24.50 which bought you access for 24 hours or a download limit of something like 300 megabytes (the access stopped and you needed to pay again whenever 24 hours was up or you reached the download limit - whichever came first). They offered cheaper access options but these were hardly of any value. I would have liked the internet access to be a bit more reasonable (if not free). As a result, I did some digging around and used wireless mobile broadband which was much more affordable. Internet at this hotel, and the fact that the fitness center gym closes at 9PM were a bit unfortunate.

Majority of the staff at this hotel are helpful and hospitable. Special thanks to Rui at the check in counter who was very helpful in giving me directions when I was waiting for my girlfriend and personal recommendations for restaurants.

I'll probably see myself coming back here next time, for work or holiday every once in a while. It's a nice change from the Hilton and is very conveniently placed.

Room Tip: If you travel regularly and have a wireless broadband modem, consider buying a pay as you go mobile...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotelSydneyDHH, General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide such a detailed review of your stay in Sydney!

We very much appreciate all the great comments you have made about how much you enjoyed your stay and please rest assured that the comments you made regarding the internet price and the quality of buffet breakfast have been addressed with our department heads.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

King Regards,
The Management Team at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rittenhouser
NovotelSydneyDHH, General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed here for 6 days during a conference right next door. The first thing I noticed was that the rooms (single) was very small, and had an extremely small and dirty window that overlooked the beautiful Darling Harbour.

I find the cost was 100% based on location (VERY convenient for anyone wanting to hang around the tourist-based area). It had a small pool, average breakfast buffet, and the internet was extra. Something I really can not stand is when a quality expensive hotel decides to gouge its guests by charging extra for the use of internet (mandatory for any business traveler).

I will commend the service though, from the Bell Hop to the front reception, we were treated very well. I especially would like to thank the food and beverage manager (I forgot her name) as she remembered who we were from day one, and always said hello with a smile.

As i travel the area once a year, I will not be going back due to the cost/value I felt was lacking. For the price, next time I hope for a nicer room, and definitely free internet service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your constructive comments regarding your recent stay at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour. I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on both the location and the quality of our hotel product and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast and the service we offer in Dish Restaurant.

We are certainly looking at better options for our Wi-Fi as the country’s infrastructure improves and already are including free internet onto some of our rates.

We hope this did not ruin your trip to Sydney. Should you wish to return in the future, please do not hesitate to enquire when booking about Wi-Fi inclusions and room size.

Whilst we cannot turn back the clock on your experience, we certainly value your patronage and would like to welcome you back when you are next visiting Sydney so that we may have an opportunity to provide the service and standard in which we pride ourselves.

Kind Regards