“Don't stay here if you have a back problem !”

Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
Ranked #71 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently located next to the convention centre. The rooms have a beautiful view of Darling Harbour. That's the positive stuff, now the other stuff. The mattress was soft like a sponge, as if it had no springs ! I had back spasm every night due to this. I asked them to change the mattress or change our room but they just put a board under the mattress which did absolutely nothing. At the buffet breakfast, I had to check out about six cups before I could find one that didn't have thick coffee stains all around the inside - pretty bad. Then when we checked out, I saw a charge for the first morning's breakfast which was suppose to be complimentary which was organised when we checked in. They had no record of this and I had to argue with the person at he front desk before they accepted it. Won't be back.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Ivan_G
AccorDHSM, General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Ivan_G,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. We very much appreciate this feedback as it continually allows us to review and improve our service and facilities.

We were most concerned to hear of your comments in relation to the inconveniences you experienced during your stay at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour. Please accept our sincere apologies that mattress and breakfast did not meet your expectations.

We are currently replacing older mattresses and there are ones which we are yet to change. We would ask that you let our Executive Housekeeper, Leigh Salas, know which room you stayed in so that we can immediately rectify this issue. Leigh can be contacted on +61 2 9288 7107 or email h1181-hk01@accor.com

With regards to the coffee mugs, we thoroughly soak, rinse and wash our mugs and glassware to prevent stains. We have passed your feedback on to our Chief Steward to discuss with the team. We are also sincerely sorry for causing issues with your account. This certainly was not our intention and would be happy to discuss further to ensure everything is ok.

Whilst we cannot turn back the clock on your experience, we certainly value your patronage and would love to welcome you back when you are next travelling to Sydney so that we may have an opportunity to provide the service and standard in which we pride ourselves and one would expect from Novotel.

Kind regards
Ruwan Peiris
Accor's Darling Harbour Hotels

Write a ReviewReviews (4,579)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We have stayed here before and think the location is its biggest asset. It is so close to the city or in our case the exhibition centre where we attended a trade fair. Lots of good restaurants nearby.
Our only criticism is that a light bulb on the desk was blown when we arrived and we left the bulb on the desk and it sat there for our entire stay without being replaced.
Having been in the motel industry we know good staff would have been more aware and replaced it.
Overall we enjoyed the stay and will return.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Reasonable price hotel in a great location. Close to casino, Darling Harbour, lots of restaurants nearby. Breakfast is great lots to choose from. Stayed with two older children and the room was good even through try had to share a bed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jessa38
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've stayed here several times before, and yes the Novotel is handily located, and reasonable value however it's getting a little tired on the fringes.

My last stay was punctuated by :
- The usual room not ready please leave you bags at the bell desk until 2pm

- When we did finally check into our two rooms under my bosses name, was told the bags would be sent right up only to wait for 40 minutes, and when I called looking for them a rather put out bell desk staffer replied "Well I wasn't about to send them anywhere without a matching name that's checked in now would I ?" Would have thought they could have used thier initiative and rang reception to find out which room I was in without having to ask frankly.

- As usual with this sort of Hotel price band, something in the room you need is always broken, and this time around it was the ironing board which I had to Macgyver in order to use. Secondly the LAN cable was too short to use at the desk provided, therefore had to use wireless when on this occasion I needed the faster speed.

- Coffee in the downstairs bar was great just to add a positive.

End of the day I'd stay there again as I'm an accor member, but I check elsewhere for deals.

Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I have now stayed here a few times, and it is always good!

The service is really good, the rooms are a little on the small side, but I suppose you do get what you pay for! Perfect for a couple or small family.

Very short walk to the Casino, King St wharf and many other great Sydney attractions. I stay here almost Everytime I come down to Sydney for something, and I will continue to come as the price is always right.

• Stayed: August 2012
AccorDHSM, General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Naomilou,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us once again. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

Kind regards
Ruwan Peiris
Accor's Darling Harbour Hotels

Reviewed February 23, 2013

The location is not city central but the service and the ambience makes up for that. There was a tram service almost at the door so access to Casino and shopping is no bother. I cannot comment on the food as we decided not to eat at the Hotel this trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends