“Great location, but that's about it”

Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour
Ranked #67 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
GreenLeadersSilver level
Starke, Florida
“Great location, but that's about it”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I dislike Novotel hotels and try to avoid them whenever I can, but a client had booked this hotel for me, so I didn't want to make a fuss. The room I had was great—overlooking Darling Harbour, so if you are here on a Saturday night, you will have a front-row seat for the free 9pm fireworks display. But that's about it for the pluses. The internet is expensive—but I expect that in Australia. What I don't expect is to be charged $25 PER DEVICE—this is just gouging. It was reasonably fast (4Mb/s) but after you have downloaded just 300Mb in a day, they either cut back your download speed, or charge you an extra ten cents per Mb. This is useless for business users who need to access large work files from the Cloud. There is a pool and a seating area outside, but no waiter service out there, and there are no vending machines anywhere in the hotel, so you will have to go to a local convenience store for drinks. The fitness center has a few machines, but it is very small for a hotel of this size. The breakfast is OK, but the housekeeping service is erratic. I was going out for a few hours, and asked housekeeping to make up the room, but four hours later, it hadn't been done. And on another occasion, the housekeeper thought that a plastic bag of teabags that I had placed on a shelf was garbage, and tossed them in the trash. There was nothing about this stay that made me reconsider my negative view of Novotels.

Room Tip: Get a Harbour facing room if you can
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My partner and I just stayed in an executive room with city views for a night away. While the room was clean and the view awesome. I must say that I was less than impressed with the service. When we checked in we were given a card that didnt work or allow us to use the elevator so we could et to the room on top of that we were provided all in all inaccurate information on how to get to our room. It took 20 mins to find the room after we went back to the service desk wheer one person was working and we again had to wait in line behind checkins. While we were running late this made us very late to meet friends who we had gone to see. The next morning we went to have breakfast at the buffet. The girl asked us why we were there, and looked like she had just come off a big night out her manner was rude and when I said I could remember if we ordered the buffet breakfast or not she sighed and said well let me see...it seemed like it was an effort for her to look. On checkout I was handed a card so as to have my parking validated when I went to use the card to leave the next door parking lot it would not work. I had to call the intercom and was advised I had been handed the wrong type of card the guy said he could help and I would need to go back to the hotel and ask, which didnt play well to a few motorists behind us as I had to back up out of the exit while one person shouted some nasty names about having to reverse also. I then had to make my way back up to the hotel and I explained the situation. The girl said I was handed the wrong card. I tried to explain to her that this was the second time weirdly enough this had happened. She handed me two cards and informed of the process. I attempted to tell her of the other situation as I have worked in customer service and only wanted to make her aware. She said "allright here is your card, good day" maybe she was having a bad day,I dont know. Overall good venues near by, room was nice a bit dimly lit in the bathroom in which the fan didnt work beds were awesome. But I got the felling they just didnt care if you were there or not, so the serive as the only dower of the day. I wont be recommending to friends or going back ever again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AccorDHSM, General Manager at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Jason A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. We very much appreciate your feedback as allows us to continually review and improve our service and facilities.

We were most concerned to hear of your comments in relation to the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Please accept our sincere apologies that the service you experienced was less than satisfactory. We have discussed your concerns with the Front Office Manager to ensure that all of our staff are providing the best customer service. Here at Novotel Sydney on Darling Harbour we pride ourselves in warm customer service which appears to have fallen short on this occasions.

Jason, whilst we cannot turn back the clock on your experience, we certainly value your patronage and would like to welcome you back upon your next trip to Sydney so that we may have the opportunity to provide the service and standard in which we pride ourselves and one would expect from Novotel.

Kind regards
Lorraine Mercuri
Accor's Darling Harbour Hotels
Sydney
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Recently stayed with family of two adults and two young children in an Executive room with 2 double beds specifically so could have breakfast with the Koalas at Sydney Wildlife on Sun morning which was a 7.15am start . Check-in was quick and friendly. Staff very accommodating. Room was large with comfy beds and great views of Darling Harbour. Enjoyed Sat night fireworks from verandah of hotel on level 1 although could have seen them from room. The location of the hotel is fantastic as so close to huge variety of restaurants, shopping and all the Darling Harbour attractions. Thought it was overpriced but would stay there again with family because of its location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Meets the standard of what you would expect of a hotel for the price. The friendly staff were quick to fix a minor problem with the bathroom.

Great location close to good restaurants and the best tourist activities Sydney had to offer.

I didn't eat at any of the hotel's restaurants so cannot comment on their quality.

• Stayed November 2012