“Overprice Rubbish and Highly Misleading Web Site”

Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour
Ranked #101 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed August 13, 2012

On the booking website, the blurb clearly states that the full price of the apartment booking is taken at the time of booking.
However, when I arrived for my stay (some 3 months later) I was asked to pay the full; amount.

The web site says "free WIFI".
Whilst WIFI is available, you have to pay for vouchers that give you a timed access.

The web site is therefore highly misleading.

Further to this, the carpets in the corridors are thread bare and smell.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank willmeyes
MIR_00, Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review the property and bringing the payment issue to my attention. I have spoken to my staff and it was an oversight for not charging your credit card on reservation. Though I have checked and found that you were not charged twice, if this is not correct please contact me immediately.
With the Wifi at not stage have we EVER charged for WiFi at these apartments. The WiFi is available to all guests and vouchers are provided with a 180 minutes limit on them. There is no limit to the number of Free vouchers that are given to guests, as many guests have several devices, therefore several vouchers are given, and if the time limit runs out new vouchers are provided for free.
With regards to the carpets I have brought this to the attention of the Strata of the building and there will be making repairs to this as soon as possible.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this hotel based on its location and its very attractive representation on its web site. That site completely misrepresents the accommodation.
1. Approximately 15-20 steps to access the building with no ramp, escalator or elevator. If your luggage is heavy, you'd better be strong.
2. In serious need of refurbishment:
a. Threadbare carpet in small, noisy elevator
b. Stains on furniture
c. Exposed plumbing in bathroom
d. Bathroom counter detached from wall
e. Enamel peeling from bathtub
f. Living room drapes partially separated from supporting hooks
g. Noisy, in-the-wall heating/AC unit with broken louvres

We stayed one night ONLY because the hotel we went to (Medina Grand Harbourside) had no rooms available for that night. We were OUT OF THERE the next day. Other than the space, I'd characterize this accommodation as what one might expect in a cheap roadside motel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Frank M

Thank you for reviewing the property. On both the Metro Apartments Darling Habour and Metro Apartments on Kings St Web site we advise that there are 12 steep steps leading into the building, and myself and all the staff are more than happy to assist with luggage.
I do feel that the points you have made suggest that you have misrepresented Metro Apartments Darling Harbour, I believe you have stayed at our Metro Apartments on King st which is our more inexpensive apartments.
I do appreciate the feedback and have urgently actioned your points. I do apologize for any inconvenienced caused during your stay.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Stayed here on a recent family holiday. The location is fantastic being only minutes away from Darling Harbour & its attractions (Imax, Shopping Mall, Aquarium, Ferries), the City & Chinatown. On the Friday night there was a fair amount of noise from the nightclub across the road and associated yahooing (drunks fighting, girls yelling, car horns & sirens blasting). Most of the other nights weren't too bad noise wise. We only had two towels on arrival for four people so having to chase that up was a minor inconvenience.

The Japanese place two doors down was excellent, we ate there or 3 occasions, and the ribs place across the road was good too.

The place itself isn't that flash but I'm sure with an update will be a great spot to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
MIR_00, Manager at Metro Apartments On Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
As you mentioned our “proximity” to many of the major attractions in Sydney is so close.
We have addressed the issue with housekeeping with regards to the towels, though I do appreciate the feedback.
Considerable work has been done by the owners and much work is planned to be done on the apartments in the near future. I do hope that your next stay with us will be soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend with my wife while over for a shopping weekend. The room, whilst dated, was tidy, comfortable and well serviced.

The only issue we had was that being on the first floor, it was bloody noisy. These are 2 level apartments, which have huge glass doors and windows which offer superb views, but being single glazed, you can hear every noise outside. The pub over the road is obviously very popular, and when it closes all hell breaks loose. Whilst some of the conversations from the pissed patrons certainly kept us amused, it alos kept us awake till around 3;30am.

I wouyld stay here again, but it wouldn't be over a weekend

Room Tip: the higher the better I am sure
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for staying at our Apartments. I do appreciate your comments and I am glad that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. We offer the first floor apartment as a cost affective way of staying so close to the majority of Sydney’s major attractions. We also have Executive Apartments which are on higher floors, which when you next stay with us may be a more desirable alternative.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

No hot water in room,,they said wait,,we waited,waited,changed rooms,,no hot water in new room,once again we waited,waited,air con only blew cold warming air,,had to get our 15 month settled,no one helped us with bags on arrival,changing rooms was a hassle no help what so ever,an absolute disgraceful service to pay $249 for the night,I rang around to get a near by hotel,just wanted to check out,,the receptionist summed the hotel up on checking out the next morning,when I complained,,he just DID Not CARE.I would not even bother writing a letter of complaint to management ,your hotel service is unprofessional,unacceptable,I only hope overseas people to not witness this appalling Hotel

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank pnasari

Thank you for taking the time to review our Apartments, I was very shocked to read your review. I do apologize for any inconvience that you encountered during your stay with us.
I have spoken to each of my staff and they have indicated to me that when the initial issue of the hot water not working was advised to them, they upgraded you to one our Top Floor Executive Apartment, they also informed me that they reversed the charge for the extra person and the fold bed. I have checked all hot water systems and air conditioners and found them to be in working order now. I do believe that myself and my team are very professional and are happy to help ALL of our guests in the Apartments.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed in this hotel for couple of days over Christmas holiday, the room was great so we had to stay longer. The location wise, it is right on the Darling Harbour. It is only 5 minute walk from the Sydney Aquarium and the Monorail.

Our car had to be parked at a parking lot about 200m down the street ourselves, the hotel validated the parking ticket when we checked out. It was a bit tricky to find the parking building but we managed after calling the front desk. We didn't use our car during our stay since every major attractions are at walking distance or can be reached using the Monorail.

The room was 2 storeys with mezzanine. The main queensize bed was upstairs, a double sofa bed was downstairs. There was a plenty of room for luggage and we had our own kitchen since it's an apartment. The washing machine and dryer were in our bathroom and they were very noisy when they ran. I hope we didn't annoy our neighbours while using those at night. Foodwise, I don't recommend getting any take-away from the hotel menu since they are very expensive for poor quality food delivered to the hotel (not your room). So, I recommend you dine out - walk few blocks, you'll reach few restaurants, or even McDonalds.

Overall, it was comfortable, clean and convenient for Darling Harbour site seeing. The view of the Darling Harbour was excellent, especially at night when everything is lit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank aoh101

Thank you for your review of our Apartments. As you mentioned we have a deal with a public parking station Secure Car Parking at 170 Sussex St Sydney and after we have validated the parking ticket its $30 for 24 hours. The Apartments are very well located and fully self contained, and so close to all the main attractions and restaurants. You can see our receptionist for attraction, tours and restaurant guide. Hope to see you back at the apartments very soon.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

We were greeted to a bad odour when we first entered the room that didnt go away. The room itself was more a 2 star level. The only good thing was the view- views were outstanding of Darling Harbour.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I do apologize for any inconvience that was caused during your stay. I have checked with housekeeping with regards to the smell and we can’t understand what odour you have mentioned. I have personally entered each room with housekeeping and have not found any odour in any room. AAA inspected the rooms in May 2012 and rated the property a high 3.5 star. Thank you for mentioning the great views, with our Executive apartments they are all guaranteed a great view of Darling Harbour.