“Great location”

Ranked #62 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
Charters Towers, Australia
“Great location”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is my third visit to Sydney over the past year, and have stayed at the Mercure each time. The location is fantastic, next to Central Train Station and a short walk to Chinatown, Darling Harbour, CBD and the Harbour Bridge area. Buses, light rail, trains are all available either at the door or very close by. There are a number of great eating places within a block and a handful of pubs as well. The service, as per my last visits, was excellent. We were able to store our luggage on early arrival and this was taken up to our room for us. We had a beaut room on the top floor, not a great view but mush better than some rooms which look out over rooftops. Would love to get a room with a better view next time. The room was super comfortable, lots of room, and ours had 2 x queen sized beds in it, providing a restful night's sleep after our busy days. Housekeeping was great, the young man who looked after our room did an exceptional job, and was tolerant of us chasing him for extra coffee and milk. Nothing was too much trouble for the concierge and reception staff and they went to great lengths to find out any local info we needed. We ate at the restaurant for one breakfast only, it was good, and fresh, with plenty of it. Eve's place downstairs was handy for a quick snack and cold beer, I was super impressed that they carried my brand of QLD beer at a good price. A couple of ways to improve though: the pool while we were there had unsupervised kids in it (last time I was there it was smokers). The pool is only small and an enclosed space so with all the noise from the kids it was not pleasant. Perhaps some more signs need to go up, or this could be checked up on once or twice a day? Another thing was the mini bar. Last time I was there I was stoked that the mini bar price had dropped, apparently in response to client feedback. Well this time it was up again, not sure why, but it would have been nice to keep it down! Last but not least, we discovered a great balcony on floor 2, which my smoker friend enjoyed accessing for her morning smoke each day, but halfway through our visit we were told it was only for conference people. Really, it needs to be accessible to hotel guests, no big deal really but would be nice. But all in all, we had a great 8 day stay in Sydney, and will be back to the Mercure again (hopefully with a high floor and great view hint hint lol). I finally have figured out my way around the area, and it seems esy now, but for newcomers take some time to grab a map of the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, and a map of the area.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny T
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear guest from Charters Towers,

Thank you for your review, it was great to hear that you enjoyed our convenient city location as well as found our team to be of great assistance.

Greg Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Booked this hotel just to be in the city versus the hotel near our office. When I arrived it was too early to check in but I was able to use the hospitality suite and leave my luggage before I go to the office. Hospitality suite has some dirty towels around and used toiletries but still clean enough to use. When I came back, I found out they have already put my luggage in my room which was nice. As I had booked priviledge room, there were tea and coffee machine in my room which can be used and bottled water and wifi (to me such basic amenities are available in almost all countries I have visited but somehow in Australia it doesn't seem to work that way). It seems that being a solo traveller I am only able to get 1 free complimentary water and I believed if I booked a normal room I wouldn't have got anything. I don't think the room is any fancier as the coffee machine doesn't work and the tv channels are so limited. Breakfast was ok and location is good if you want to hang around town. Next time I will probably use another hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear guest from Singapore,

Thank you for your review, it was good to hear that you enjoyed our convenient city location.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at the Mercure Sydney in December last year.
The rooms are very basic, the best view you can get is on the roof next door. The TV set is hooked to the wall, a little bit like a really cheap hotel from no where.

I would never stay there again, there is quite a bit of noise from George Street

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest from Sydney,

Thank you for staying with us at the Mercury Sydney. We appreciate hearing your feedback so we can work to making any needed amendments to satisfy our customers for future stays.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Sydney again.

Australia & U.S.
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The people who were in the concierge department were helpful. However, our room was very dark. There were a few lamps which would only light up a very small area, so it was difficult to read anything unless you were in the spotlight. VERY POOR lighting! VERY DARK! My husband and I barely had space for our luggage. We had to put our suitcases between the two beds in the room and in one corner, on the floor...not a great set-up. Also, our room was not cleaned until very late each afternoon...and only after I called the housekeeping department.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, it was good to hear that you found our concierge department to be of great help.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We were in one of the Privilege Rooms, 1312, for two nights.

Didn't spend a lot of time in the room so I didn't report that the television reception (if you can call it 'reception' in this digital age) was very bad - many channels not working at all, and others with pixellation and sound issues. Very small glass panel dividing the shower/bath from the bathroom floor so it's very easy for things to end up very wet. Room wasn't small nor big, so I guess the standard rooms must be fairly small.

That stuff aside, the location is great (we chose it for being close to central station), the staff were very good, the breakfast was good, and thankfully the aircon worked well enough. Even though it wasn't hot as far as Sydney goes in summer, it was still necessary to run it continually.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glennomeister
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear guest from Wellington,

Thank you for your review, it was good to hear that you enjoyed our location and enjoyed that breakfast.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

2 day stay mid Feb 2014
Upon arrival I was advised I did not have a room booked even though my employer had booked 7 rooms. The room that I was eventually given was bare. Apart from the basics I had no minibar or other items you would expect from a $300+ advertised room.
The aircon could not bring the temperature down to below 24 degrees and roared all night long

I was not impressed and felt rather let down after travelling overseas and having much better rooms at an 1/8th of the cost

All I can say is I am glad I didnt pay for it

1 Thank Yamana2013
Dear guest from Bangkok,

Thank you for your review, I was obviously very disappointed to read about your experiences. As such I would like to speak to you personally.

If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Thanks again for your feedback, and look forward in speaking to you soon.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Prebooked this hotel for a 3 night stay to visit attractions and restaurants in and around Sydney. Warm greeting upon arrival and was quickly checked in and up to the room on Level 6. It appeared to have been recently renovated and was clean and tidy. The bathroom was also very clean with plenty of towels and toiletries supplied. Very comfortable beds and the window has two blinds one for complete blockout for the evening so no chance of being woken up by sunlight streaming into the room if you want to sleep in. Was not interrupted by any noise from other guests or noise from outside so very good sleep. Nice pool and gym, both small but they were not crowded. Did not eat at the hotel as too many other choices around. A small bar is located in the lobby area and offered friendly service. Whilst not located on Sydney Harbour or in Darling Harbour these and other attractions are only a short train or bus ride away or for the more energetic within walking distance. Would definitely recommend this hotel for those looking for a reasonable priced hotel in Sydney with 4 star facilities,friendly staff and excellent concierge.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank iitravel
Dear guest from Brisbane,

Thank you for your review, it was great to hear about your pleasant experience at our hotel and that you found our rooms to be very accommodating.