“Kruger's” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Sydney

Mercure Sydney
Ranked #57 of 179 Hotels in Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel would probably not disappoint. I have stayed twice recently and will probably return. I had a superior room both times, with free internet and few other frills. (the promised Evian water only appears on the first day of your stay, which seems a bit tight-fisted). The room was quite small but OK; the bed is comfortable and the shower works well. It's a shame there isn't a table to put a room service tray on, as there is enough room, and the desk is only big enough to work on. The room is under-lit, but that seems to be standard everywhere-I don't know why! It does seem odd that there isn’t a luggage rack in the rooms as every other hotel seems to have them. They did bring one when I asked. They also brought a blanket when I asked, too-after telling me there was one in the cupboard (which, of course there wasn't, or I would not have rung down for one!) I was pleased on my return to find one in my cupboard, so at least they learned from that!
The reception service and the room service aren't brilliant. On my last stay, on one morning they forgot my alarm call -which could have been a real problem if I had a place to catch! - and on the other morning my room service breakfast was wrong. However the concierge staff always seemed to be lovely, and anxious to please, which makes up for other staff’s deficiencies.

The location right next to the station is very convenient, although the area's a bit seedy and wouldn't be ideal for tourists. And the price isn't too bad if you can get a special deal on the hotel's web site. Which accounts for my rating the hotel four stars, as other central Sydney hotels are such rip-offs.

Room Tip: I advise to go for the superior, as I would think anything less wouldn't be very nice (and could...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear guest,

I was obviously very disappointed to read about your experiences. As such I would like to speak to you personally.

If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Thanks again for your feedback, and look forward in speaking to you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed here for a week at the end of July, to attend a 5 day training course also being held at the hotel. The hotel was everything I needed for my purposes.

The rooms are standard hotel size, not small but not large either, and the queen bed was quite comfortable. The block out curtains/blinds were great as I was never woken by light in the morning.

The desk is large and comfortable, excellent for work. And although my employer covered the cost of internet access, I did find it quite pricey, so when I inquired at the desk downstairs they offered me a long term discounted rate which I was much happier with. And there were some limited foxtell channels complementary with the room- which was nice.

The bathroom was a good size and very clean- and came complete with a full size bathtub which was a pleasant surprise.

I ate the buffet breakfast and buffet lunch all 5 days and it was delicious. Busy and noisy, so allow plenty of time in the morning, but delicious. I didn't try the restaurant for dinner as there were plenty of other options in walking distance, but the late night room service saved me when I realised I'd worked right through one evening and forgotten to eat.

I used the gym and the pool each morning too- and although small they were perfectly adequate for my purposes, especially as I often was the only one utilising the facilities.

Its in a great location- right next to the train station which made it easy for getting around sydney in my limited free time. And the concierge service were great, providing me with maps and directions, and happily storing my luggage on the Friday while I attended the last day of my training course.

The only thing I will say- is be aware they have both "smoking" and "non smoking" rooms at this property. Being from Melbourne, I presume most mid range hotels are smoke free properties now. However it seems Sydney is not up with us on that. So make sure you ask for a non smoking room, otherwise you will end up like I was, stuck in a smoking room which had the lingering smell of cigarettes from previous guests.

Room Tip: make sure you request a non smoking room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, it was great hearing about your experience at the hotel and that you enjoyed some of small things like our block out curtains, there is nothing better than getting a good night’s sleep. It is also wonderful to hear that our buffet breakfast as well as the location of the hotel was ideal during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Sydney again soon.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Was booked into this hotel for 5 days on business. I would say it was fine for what it was but I wouldn't stay here on a holiday.

The rooms are on the small side and as others have noted are quite dark. TV was fte plus very basic Foxtel. The hotel bar is also small and specialises in beer and sport on the tv. I had to comment to reception about dirty carpets in the hall.

On the plus side the hotel was quiet despite being full of football fans.

One thing to be aware of is the hotel is in 'railway square' which is the dog end of the Sydney CBD. It's quite a schlep past fast food outlets and cheap shops to reach anything interesting.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear guest,

I was obviously very disappointed to read about your experience. As such I would like to speak to you personally.

Thanks again for your feedback, and look forward in speaking to you soon.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Check -in was efficient and staff pleasant. Room was very clean and comfortable. The location is great for access to rail travel, Darling Harbour and the Entertainment Centre, not walking distance to the centre of the city.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, it was great hearing about your fantastic experience at the hotel and that you found our team to be very friendly and your check-in was efficient.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Sydney again soon.