“Great location”
Review of Mercure Sydney

Mercure Sydney
Ranked #64 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stayed here for two nights as I was attending a conference. It's a great location with buses right outside the front door and trains 5 minutes away. Check in was quick, the staff were friendly and efficient and the room was fine for my stay. The rooms are nice and quiet, I couldn't hear any outside noise. The room I was in had been refurbished, the bathroom was a bit small and didn't have many complimentary toiletries. Breakfast was included with my conference and it was ok, I wouldn't want to pay $25 for it when there are many cafes etc nearby to eat at, definitely a good place to stay in central Sydney.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Dare2Dream1
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and found our rooms to be nice and quiet.

Greg Brady

Write a ReviewReviews (4,986)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

During our recent stay there was maintenance going on in the rom above us. We were not informed of this on check in or when the maintenance started. I phoned downstairs 3 times to complain to no avail. Nothing was done. The workers commenced at 7am and continued till we checked out at 11.30am. I did not think this was acceptable when we were on holiday to sleep in and enjoy. i approached the girl at the counter on checkout and asked for my parking to be credited back she said there was nothing they could do and it was law that maintenance could take place at any time. So i was not happy with this so i approached the manager to whom he was apologetic and i asked him for my parking credited back in which he did.He also said as i got to the desk that he was about to ring me in my room (i think not) it was 11.30am i called him at 7.30am?? But if i had not of asked for this i would have recieved nothing, no discount or future credit nothing!! We stay here every year and have NEVER had a problem with ANYTHING until this. I would have thought repeat customers would be treated abit more better than what i got. Will i be staying next year? Not sure yet...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank gizmo374
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Our family of four {2 adults & 2 children} had a very pleasant overnight stay. We found the location to be very quiet considering it's close proximity to Central Rail Station. The room was modern, clean and comfortable. It was a shame that the wifi wasn't complimentary but this was the only disappointment. We found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was enjoyable with a vast variety of gluten free options which was very appreciative for our coeliac family members. After extensive research, we found The Mercure one of the very few hotels in Sydney to charge children rates up to 15 years as opposed to most hotels charging children rates up to 12 years. This was the reason we stayed at The Mercure and we were very happy with our experience. We will certainly be staying with them in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Pru L

Dear guest from Newcastle,

Thank you for your review, I am happy to hear that you found your stay with your family very pleasant and enjoyed our modern rooms. As for internet, we offer 30 minutes complimentary internet at the Internet Hub located on level 2.Please ask our friendly receptionist if you require any assistance.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This hotel is what it is - a four star hotel with comfortable rooms in a good location in particular if you are wanting to be close to University of Sydney or UTS. Also good location for catching trains and buses around Sydney. My husband and I stayed for multiple nights on 2 occasions over the last 10 days. The first room we had had a King size bed and looked over the Central Station area; so pleasant view and comfortable room. The second room we had had a queen size bed and looked over the western side of the hotel that is really just a laneway which was less than inspiring, but still comfortable. Both rooms suffered from a dreadful shower head that was weak and hard to control temp with so little water flow. Staff were very friendly, helpful and engaging. We would stay there again when looking for a hotel that is reasonably priced and convenient.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a view to the East rather than the West you will not feel so hemmed in...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NPVHongKong

Dear guest from Hong Kong,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and found our team to be very friendly. I am also happy to hear that you will come stay again.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed at Mercure on a long weekend, the service and rooms were wonderful. Staff helpful and very accommodating, rooms clean and like new, and food delivered to our room delicious and a fantastic price. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank anna2590

Dear guest from Cootamundra,

Thank you for your review, I am very happy to hear that you will definitely come stay again and found Mercure Sydney to be very accommodating.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Like plenty of other reviewers, I agree this hotel is in a great location and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a decent size and kept clean. What I didn't like: the aircon/heating was quite noisy and I needed to wear ear plugs at night to block out the noise. I could hear people in the adjacent rooms talking and carrying on loudly late at night. The hotel decor is a little tired despite the fact it's undergoing renovation. Even the new colour scheme with purple walls is already dated. My biggest concern though was the house keeping team is not keeping management informed of wear and tear in the rooms. My newly renovated room had big chunks of purple paint chipped off which looked as though they had been there for a while, and no-one in housekeeping had reported. The soap dish in the bathroom was just about to fall off. The hand basin was obviously old with chipped paint around the drain. It takes team work all around to keep a hotel 4 star.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank gerty2010

Dear guest from Melbourne,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that you agree that our team members are very friendly and helpful. Due to your helpful feedback, we are currently reviewing our procedures in the up keeping of the hotel.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel early June with two friends.The location of this hotel was terrific,close to transport and many shopping options.Rooms where very clean,beds very comfortable and a good size room.Staff are very friendly and very helpfull at all times.The only let down was breakfast,i feel for $25 there should be more variety.

Room Tip: Great upgrade deals are available.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest from Perth,

Thank you for your review, it is great that hear that you found the rooms to be very comfortable and of good size. I’m also very pleased to hear that you thought our location was terrific.