“Central location”

Ranked #63 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Ltk
“Central location”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Stayed at Mercure Sydney back in May 2012 for 5 nights.

Mercure is located next to the bus stops and train station so transportation is easily accessible.

Lots of good restaurants close to the hotel so did not eat in the hotel.

Room was nice and clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and was happy with our accommodation and cleanliness..

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Greg Brady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The room was nice but we felt the room service breakfast was way below average & we ended up leaving most of it. We stored our bags for the day. The morning concierge was lovely to deal with but the guy in the afternoon was the opposite & came across as rather rude. The location is very central.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear guest from Auckland,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and was happy with our accommodation however I was obviously very disappointed to read about your experience in the afternoon, as we pride ourselves on customer service and as such would like to discuss it further.

If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Thanks again for your feedback, and look forward in speaking to you soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Based on the extremely poor experience my partner and I had over the weekend, the only advice I can give is, "do NOT stay here!"

We arrived at 10pm on a Friday night, and the hotel lobby was flooded with noisy people. The place looked so run down that my partner asked me “didn’t you book a 4 star hotel? This doesn’t feel like one at all”, and I had to explain to him that Mercure is usually considered 4 star, but I have no idea why this place seemed so un-luxurious.
We checked into our rooms, and because we hadn't had any dinner yet, called room service at 10.20pm to order some food. No one answered. We tried a couple more times, but still no answer. Then we called reception, who took our order and said they will pass it onto room service.

An hour and a half later...no food arrived.

We called reception to chase it up. A different person answered this time, and told us that actually, the hotel kitchen was closed and so they did not cook our food. "No one called you back to tell you that?" they said.

We later checked the menu again, and saw that there was a late night "night owl" menu available at that hour, but no, they did not offer that to us as an alternative.
We were very tired, so decided to have a shower, then go to bed. The bathroom’s bin did not have any bin liners and looked sticky on the inside. We ordered extra pillows from the pillow menu, but the we were only delivered 3 out of the 4 pillows we ordered.
The next day, we walked downstairs to check out the buffet breakfast, and the restaurant was extremely noisy and crowded, with not that impressive looking food, and we decided it was not worth the $25 per person cost to eat there.

That night, at just past midnight, my partner and I went up to the pool, as some Google search results had told me that the pool opened 24 hours a day (wrong info). We arrived at the pool at 12.10am, and heard people splashing around and playing, but the door was locked. I knocked on the door, and a security guard looking person opened the door and told us to go away, as the pool closes at midnight (which it actually does). But, behind him, there were two young ladies splashing around in the pool, looking like they were in no hurry to leave. What was going on???

The next morning, we wanted to order some breakfast in bed, so I called room service. Dialed the number, rang for ages, then someone picked up and immediately hung up the phone. Thinking that maybe they did it by accident, I dialed again. Rang for ages, then someone picked up and immediately hung up again. Repeat another two times. I rang reception and told them what happened, and they said they will get room service to call me back. 15 mins later, still no call back.
I was furious at this point, so I went downstairs to complain. In the lift, the G button wasn’t working, so I was taken up to all these higher level floors first, before the lift made its way down to ground level. The assistant manager on duty was polite and apologized and offered us free breakfast. So he took the order and passed onto room service. I went back upstairs and we waited for our breakfast to arrive.
…almost an hour later, still no breakfast.

I rang room service to chase it up, and the guy said it was going to take another 30 minutes as they “were extremely busy”.
It was almost midday at this point, and it looked like we were just going to waste the last morning of our holiday due to the sheer incompetence of the hotel, so I went to the assistant manager again and told him what happened, and to cancel our order because we can’t keep waiting anymore. The assistant manager did waive the charges for our wine the night before, in place of the breakfast, but then I had to go outside and look for a café (on Sunday morning, so most good places were closed or closing) and buy takeaway breakfast. Our original plan of having a relaxing breakfast in bed was completely and utterly ruined. This was the first holiday that my partner and I took together, and we had been looking forward to it very much.
When we checked out, the person checking us out were going to charge us for the wine that was supposed to be free, as there were no notes on the system! I was losing my patience and told him that the assistant manager said he would waive the cost, and he held up his hand in my face and told me to “calm down”!
I have travelled extensively across a total of 4 continents and almost 20 countries, staying in all kinds of establishments, but have never had a worse experience before. Like I mentioned above, this was the first ever trip that my partner and I took together and we were looking forward to it very much, but the experience was just utterly disappointing. I’m annoyed that I paid money to stay here at all.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank GloriaWang
austrlalia
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Overnight business trip over which I had no control. Scored a room upgrade which was surprising as it was a full house on web. I had investigated options on the web & checked what extra I would have to pay out of my pocket for the harbour end of town. Anyway at double the price I just accepted what had been organized for me. Big superior corner room was nice. Bathrooms dated & I hate these bloody rooms with small lighting around the periphery. Hardly enough light to read anything by. Room a/c was awfully noisy & destroyed chance of good night sleep. Had decided to pass on dinner & catch up on sleep. Awake at 1.30am & hungry, so that is one thing this end of town is perfect for. Great seafood feast at century seafood in Sussex st. Still had to wait 20mins for a table. At 2am ! Where else could you see every table full at 2am. Service at mercure was excellent however, they just need to spruce up those bathrooms, lights & a/c units

• Stayed February 2013
Dear guest from Australia,

Thank you for your review. It was great to hear that you thought our service was excellent. I am also pleased to inform you that due to helpful feedback like yours, we have completed renovations of nearly half the hotel with the remaining rooms to be completed in 2013 so that you can enjoy our newly renovated room next time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Athens, GA
Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you only have a few days in Sydney and want to be close to travel hubs, this is a great choice. It's less than a five minutes' walk to Central Station and buses run by Railway Square literally right outside the hotel. It's about a half-hour to walk to the Botanical Gardens.

I stayed here for a conference, and I have to say I probably wouldn't stay here again. The neighborhood is very very big-city and impersonal, with lots of Asian restaurants and quite a few dodgy looking massage parlors. There is a Subway, Macca's, and several coffee shops nearby, but don't bother with the hotel food: it's very expensive even by Sydney standards ($17-$40 for meals pkus room service fee, $25 breakfast) and is of mediocre quality (two lunches were included with my conference fee and were both very disappointing). There is a minibar fridge that we kept some cheese and yogurt in, but at $7 for a small can of Pringles, don't plan on snacking in the room. A small coffee shop, Coffee Trails, is just across the street and makes a yummy flat white coffee. The beds are so-so: firmer than I'm used to with much softer pillows than I like. Limited options on the TV and in-room internet is $20 or $25 a day (just find a cafe for wifi!!).

We were able to check in early and having a room with a tub was a nice bonus. The gym and pool are very small. We didn't experience any problems with the staff, though; everyone was very friendly and the concierge staff were always available to offer suggestions for food and transport. There were some mior communications difficulties with housekeeping, whose English was very limited, but overall no complaints.

For the price, you don't get much at the hotel itself, but the location truly is central and can't be beat if you want easy access to the city transit networks. One note: it was actually cheaper for us to get to the Sydney airport via taxi straight from the hotel ($22 for two people on a Friday, around lunchtime) than it would have been to take a train or shuttle, so I'd recommend it for ease and value.

Room Tip: 14th floor has the pool and gym
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest from Athens,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. Thank you for your review, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and the friendly services provided by our team. In regards to our internet connection, while paid internet is standard in Sydney CBD hotels we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your feedback in this area is certainly appreciated and helps us as we continually review our facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Did a family trip to Sydney to celebrate the end of the year and do a bit of Christmas shopping. The hotel is conveniently located walking distance from the CBD and Cockle Bay. The room was adequate but getting on the smaller side for a family with nearly two teenage kids. Booked the room on line in advance with a great discount considering the time of year we stayed. Good pool on the top level overlooking George Street.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest from Wollongong,

Thank you for your review, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and was happy with our accommodation rates.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.