“Value, but not exceptional.”
Review of Mercure Sydney

Mercure Sydney
Ranked #64 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Overnight business trip over which I had no control. Scored a room upgrade which was surprising as it was a full house on web. I had investigated options on the web & checked what extra I would have to pay out of my pocket for the harbour end of town. Anyway at double the price I just accepted what had been organized for me. Big superior corner room was nice. Bathrooms dated & I hate these bloody rooms with small lighting around the periphery. Hardly enough light to read anything by. Room a/c was awfully noisy & destroyed chance of good night sleep. Had decided to pass on dinner & catch up on sleep. Awake at 1.30am & hungry, so that is one thing this end of town is perfect for. Great seafood feast at century seafood in Sussex st. Still had to wait 20mins for a table. At 2am ! Where else could you see every table full at 2am. Service at mercure was excellent however, they just need to spruce up those bathrooms, lights & a/c units

• Stayed: February 2013
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear guest from Australia,

Thank you for your review. It was great to hear that you thought our service was excellent. I am also pleased to inform you that due to helpful feedback like yours, we have completed renovations of nearly half the hotel with the remaining rooms to be completed in 2013 so that you can enjoy our newly renovated room next time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Greg Brady

Write a ReviewReviews (4,988)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

If you only have a few days in Sydney and want to be close to travel hubs, this is a great choice. It's less than a five minutes' walk to Central Station and buses run by Railway Square literally right outside the hotel. It's about a half-hour to walk to the Botanical Gardens.

I stayed here for a conference, and I have to say I probably wouldn't stay here again. The neighborhood is very very big-city and impersonal, with lots of Asian restaurants and quite a few dodgy looking massage parlors. There is a Subway, Macca's, and several coffee shops nearby, but don't bother with the hotel food: it's very expensive even by Sydney standards ($17-$40 for meals pkus room service fee, $25 breakfast) and is of mediocre quality (two lunches were included with my conference fee and were both very disappointing). There is a minibar fridge that we kept some cheese and yogurt in, but at $7 for a small can of Pringles, don't plan on snacking in the room. A small coffee shop, Coffee Trails, is just across the street and makes a yummy flat white coffee. The beds are so-so: firmer than I'm used to with much softer pillows than I like. Limited options on the TV and in-room internet is $20 or $25 a day (just find a cafe for wifi!!).

We were able to check in early and having a room with a tub was a nice bonus. The gym and pool are very small. We didn't experience any problems with the staff, though; everyone was very friendly and the concierge staff were always available to offer suggestions for food and transport. There were some mior communications difficulties with housekeeping, whose English was very limited, but overall no complaints.

For the price, you don't get much at the hotel itself, but the location truly is central and can't be beat if you want easy access to the city transit networks. One note: it was actually cheaper for us to get to the Sydney airport via taxi straight from the hotel ($22 for two people on a Friday, around lunchtime) than it would have been to take a train or shuttle, so I'd recommend it for ease and value.

Room Tip: 14th floor has the pool and gym
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear guest from Athens,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. Thank you for your review, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and the friendly services provided by our team. In regards to our internet connection, while paid internet is standard in Sydney CBD hotels we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your feedback in this area is certainly appreciated and helps us as we continually review our facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Did a family trip to Sydney to celebrate the end of the year and do a bit of Christmas shopping. The hotel is conveniently located walking distance from the CBD and Cockle Bay. The room was adequate but getting on the smaller side for a family with nearly two teenage kids. Booked the room on line in advance with a great discount considering the time of year we stayed. Good pool on the top level overlooking George Street.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest from Wollongong,

Thank you for your review, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location and was happy with our accommodation rates.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

At AUD 279 per night (13th Feb) for a tiny room on 5th Floor without enough room to open a suitcase and avoid falling over it - very poor value and to add insult to injury, the hotel had the cheek to charge AUD 10 per hour for in-room internet connection. Bathrooms look like they haven't been updated since the 70's - chrome worn off the taps, 70's tiled floors, veneer falling off bathroom door. Clueless check-in staff whom had no idea which way the rooms faced.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Chubby88

Dear guest from Kuala Lumpur,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. I am pleased to inform you that due to helpful feedback like yours, we have completed renovations of nearly half the hotel with the remaining rooms to be completed in 2013. In regards to our internet connection, while paid internet is standard in Sydney CBD hotels we are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. Your feedback in this area is certainly appreciated and helps us as we continually review our facilities.

Thanks again for your feedback, we look forwards in welcoming you back to a newly renovated hotel next time.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We traveled with a tour group and as the road was badly congested due to the rush hour, we arrived late at the hotel and were late for our dinner. It was almost 9pm by then! And to make the matter worse, the concierge at the hotel didn't want to help us store our luggages so we could head straight for dinner and later come back for the check in. He said we didn't make any prior arrangement and that there were supposed to be charges before hand. So we asked for help from some top management who did help us in the end. So we had dinner and came back to the hotel, the same concierge had to be sarcastic and made some remarks. He said "Oh, so you have been gone for almost 2 hours now.." and when our tour leader was about to reply him, he continued by saying "Oh, you know what I don't really care.." honestly there are so many hotels to choose from and how do you stand out from others? People and service makes the difference I would say.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. I was obviously very disappointed to read about your experience and as such would like to discuss it further.

If convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I do not understand how much Sydney hotel prices have gone up since I was there last, back in 2007.

This one was the only option I could find, at 160 Euros, despite booking well in advance.

Nice enough room otherwise. Fortunately the guy at check out was friendly the exact opposite of the one at check in.

TV was not working, but I only found out just before leaving, didn't need to watch it before so I just mentioned it at check-out.

No free Wi-Fi or free Internet computer in the lobby.

Otherwise it is very close to central station and some of the intercity buses (we were taking one on our way to Canberra).

Overall I would still recommend this hotel, but only if you can get a better price, to me it's worth 120 Euros approximately.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest from Berlin,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, and would recommend it.
I was obviously very disappointed to read about your check in experience and as such would like to discuss it further.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

At the check in a young employee told us that we "cannot use the debit card " and he needs us to provide him a credit card. It was the first time ever when I've heard such a thing . When I told him that I don't have a credit card an try to explain that this never happened to us before he told me "TO SHUT UP " and listen to what he had to say. In the end we've learned that we can use our debit card but the deposit will be returned in cash.
Another thing was that with 2 kids we've been given a room on a smoking floor , without being asked if we are smokers or it will be bothering for any of us. This matter was solved the next day by the deputy manager who was very polite and helpfull and offered us another room on a non smoking floor and with a better view - Many thanks again ! In the first room we found 2 jumpy ,pretty big, happy spiders in one of the beds.
In one of the days the house keeping forgot to leave soaps but after calling the Reception someone came with them in less than 5 minutes.
The breakfast was good and assorted.
My kids loved the blue light in the pool in the evening.
For those traveling by train - there is an underground tunnel which links the hotel with the train station.

Room Tip: Higher floors are less noisy Specify smoking or no smoking floor
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear guest from Newcastle,

Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your review. I was obviously very shocked and disappointed to read about your experience and as such would like to discuss it further.

Your feedback is very important to us so if convenient please call the hotel on +61 2 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.