“Great”
Review of Mercure Sydney

Mercure Sydney
Ranked #65 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've stayed at this property several times over the last few years and it has always been a pleasure to stay here. Every time I've stayed here it's been cause I have travelled by train, with it's location right near Central (5 minute walk from the Country platforms) it's a no brainer to stay here. Not to mention there is a plethora of dining options and convenience stores to help make the stay more comfortable.

Check in can get busy, but generally you don't wait long in line and the check in experience is quite pleasant. The rooms are well appointed and to normal Mercure standards. The added bonus is they have Foxtel channels available to the normal TV channels. The rooms are quite spacious so you don't feel cluttered and crammed into a small room. The bathroom is quite good as well, the shower over the bath and shower curtain may not be everyone's cup of tea, but perfectly acceptable in my view.

The room service menu could do with some changes/ improvements, but can highly recommend the fish and chips on the menu, they taste fantastic.

All in all, I can recommend anyone staying here.

Room Tip: Deluxe queen rooms and the king rooms have the best views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dodgyvalve
GregBrady, General Manager at Mercure Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear guest from Port Stephens,

Thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us at Mercure Sydney and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located to maximize train and bus services to where-ever you wish to travel in the city or suburbs. ..certainly suits a senior citizen like myself. I have always found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. The breakfast service is very good. My only complaint would be the poor lighting for reading in bed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thanks for your review. I was very pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us at Mercure Sydney. I also appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback on the lighting in your room. We strive to continually improve our facilities and service and it is feedback like yours that helps us do this.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

3 nights for work - the 3-night rate from the Accor site was good value for Sydney. The 12th floor Superior room with city view was spacious and well laid out. Good amount of coat hangers/hanging space and an ironing board in the room. Good work desk setup. Bar fridge and numerous local ‘711’s nearby allowed for low level self catering if required. Hotel is right next to Central station - $15 train direct from airport + a 5 min walk through an underpass walkway gets you directly to the hotel, very easy and convenient. Brilliant location for my purposes – direct access train to North Ryde ex Central, and 5 min walk to Powerhouse Museum (conference venue). Hotel is also right next to a main bus hub/terminus (Bondi access ++). Easy, pleasant walk to Chinatown or Surrey Hills restaurants. Only negative was that the floor we were on (and room) appeared to be designated as smoking and the smell was unpleasant. Overall, recommended for location, efficient transport access, clean room and helpful staff.

Room Tip: ensure you specify smoking or non.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our convenient location. I also appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback on your room. As we have some guests who smoke we have 2 floors of smoking rooms in the hotel. I’m sorry that you were assigned a smoking room on your stay. On check in we assign rooms based on guest preference so I apologise that this was not done for your stay.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

My friends and I had a girls weekend and stayed at the Mercure Sydney. It was chosen for its central location, and it proved a terrific choice. Just 5 minutes easy walk from the Central train station. Staff were helpful and courteous, and check-in was smooth and efficient. Our room was very nice and had a good view of the surrounding area. The two double beds were very comfortable. My friend slept inthe folding bed and said it wasn't too bad. The shower was hot, bathroom clean and not too small.
We also checked out the gym and swimming pool on the top floor. It certainly has a great view! My friend used the gym and said it was very good. THe pool was good, clean and nice and warm.
We didn't have breakfast or dinner at the hotel, we just walked down to Darling Harbour. ChinaTown is an easy stroll as well, so lots of delicious dinner options available.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear guest from Canberra,

Thanks for your review. I was very pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us at Mercure Sydney and found our location to be so convenient for your needs.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

First the gripes - our room was very "compact", the bathroom had a distinct Parisian air of blocked drains, the toilet cistern leaked constantly, the over-the-bath shower was ineffectual but somehow managed to spray water all over the floor (which, coupled with the lack of a bathmat, created a slippery situation), the television reception was appalling, and the remote made very strange electrical clicking noises when used. BUT the hotel is in a good location, and all the staff, from reception to the cleaners, were helpful and friendly, which makes up for a lot.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guest from the Hunter Valley,

Thanks for your review. I was very pleased to read that you received helpful and friendly service from our team at Mercure Sydney. I am obviously disappointed to read about the problems that occurred with your bathroom and television and would certainly like to ensure this problem never occurs again. As such it would be very helpful to discuss your stay further. If convenient please call the hotel on 02 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

I wasn't expecting a 5 star experience but I do expect good customer service. Some of the front desk staff fail on this and are quite surly. Concierge were helpful and friendly which was great but highlighted the failing of front desk staff in providing a friendly welcome. The rooms are just okay, beds are small, the bathroom toilet flush kept sticking and on day 2 some of the cleaners took away bathmat and face towels and did not replace them. A little attention to detail would be good.
I went to the bar for an evening drink which is a sports bar. I ordered a drink at the busy bar and not wanting to yell out my room number I showed the bar man my key holder card where he read it and promptly yelled it out for all to hear.
I recently stayed at the Menzies and although in need of a renovation thier customer service is outstanding, makes you feel valued as a customer. As Mecure is part of this Accor group they could learn a few lessons from them.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear guest from Perth,

Thanks for providing feedback on your recent stay. We are passionate about providing exceptional customer service to all of our guests so I was very disappointed to read about your stay with us.

If possible it would certainly be helpful to discuss your feedback further. If convenient please call the hotel on 02 9217 6666 and ask to speak to myself, or email H2073@accor.com and we will contact you to discuss.

We hope to welcome you back to Mercure Sydney again in the future.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

First time I stayed here and was impressed. Fast check-in (booked through Qantas) and shown a standard room with all facilities on the third floor. Hotel situated in the middle of town and great attractions within easy walking distance. Chinatown and the great food only minutes away. Opted for the cont. breakfast in the morning and that was more than adequate all served by pleasant, helpful staff. They don't look at you when you go for the third piece of toast. Right next to the Main Railway Station as well. Will def stay here again when joining a cruise or whatever in Sydney.

Room Tip: If you arrive earlier than check-in time always ask, they are most helpful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear guest,

Thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay and will definitely stay with us again in the future.