“Apartment Style Accomodation in Sydney”

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall
Ranked #48 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
London
“Apartment Style Accomodation in Sydney”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

Service:
Nothing special. Very average for a hotel of this class.

Room:
We were in a Studio which was small but adequate. They call them apartments but you only get a fridge and microwave no hob to cook on. The rooms are in very good condition and seem very new. There is lots of wardrobe space if you are into that kind of thing.
Nice to have a balcony too especially if you are on the 26th floor as we were. Gorgeous views over a glass of wine.

Bathroom:
Very clean and new looking. Good size.

Location:
Very close to Chinatown. 10 mins walk to City CBD (King St). And 10 mins walk to Darling Harbour.

Additional:
As they are apartments I presume people do stay there on a longer basis and I could most certainly imagine myself staying here for longer.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaKSiNG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2009

I'm astonished that this service apartment is qualified as 4 star accommodation. I would say it's 3 star if i'm generous. The furniture in the room are very basic and old. The chair is not comfortable and full of scratches. The soft decoration, carpet, bed sets are very old and the color has faded. The lights are dim and unwelcome.

When i first checked in, I found hair (not my color) on the towel and hair pin on the carpet. And the hair pin stayed untouched during my whole stay.... they made bed, empty the dustbin, that's all...

Internet is charged at $25 per day. When I asked for cable, reception firstly gave me a 10cm one, which couldn't connect my laptop to the socket. Then they provided a longer one, but again it's useless as the plugs are broken.

It's the worst 4 star accommodation experience. Won't stay there again

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank dolinloop
blue mountains
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

great little studio room with private (tiny ) balcony and nice bathroom

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Wexford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

Great service. Ideal location for young adults travelling. Had a two bed apartment for four people ideal. Would defiantly stay again.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
Traralgon, Victoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2009

We chose this accommodation based upon the good reviews, and were not disappointed. While it was not perfect, it made for a pleasant stay.

It was spacious, clean, and well-appointed (I've uploaded a video of our apartment so you can see for yourselves). As we got a "last-minute" rate on-line, it was a great deal. It was a lot cheaper for us, three adult females, than two hotel rooms would have been. We were able to eat breakfast and dinner in, most nights (Safeway was just around the corner), which saved us a lot of money. All of the basic utensils you'd need to prepare and eat a meal, are provided.

The kitchen has a stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher, electric kettle, toaster, and full-sized fridge as well as pots and pans, dishes, glassware, and cutlery. A 250ml (8oz) container of milk is provided gratis, which was good for us for coffee the first morning, as we arrived at night. All other things provided (except instant coffee, teabags, and sugar) are "mini bar expensive". The next morning I went to Safeway and got some essentials.

The beds were comfortable enough and all came with doonas with removable covers (so I'm assuming they are washed more than typical hotel bedspreads as they looked clean). Sheets and towels were all of high quality.

Our 2BR apt had two bathrooms, one an en-suite attached to the "master" bedroom. It contained a sink, shower, and toilet (the shower control works very easily, and as it's right next to the soap dish, be careful not to knock it while reaching blindly for the soap or washcloth, or you'll get burnt or frozen! It was quite a shock!). The other "main" bathroom had a shower-over-bath, sink, and toilet. Water pressure was great in both.

Both bathrooms had shelves above the sinks for cosmetics and sundries, very handy, and both were modern and clean. And the main bathroom had a retractable clothesline over the tub, as well as a cupboard which contained the washer, dryer, and ironing implements. You really could live there!

All carpets were clean and unstained, the furniture likewise.

We didn't hear any "street noise" worthy of note up on the 29th floor. I know others have mentioned it, so maybe there was some event on at that time. We were there for 3 weeknights, so maybe the weekends are noisier?

Location-wise, it was excellent. Town Hall (train) station was about a minute away on foot, as were many shops and restaurants (the Medina has a breakfast cafe, but we didn't go there. There is also Tom & Tom's Coffee next door). Darling Harbour was a short walk, and Circular Quay (up in the vicinity of the Bridge and Opera House) was about a 15-20 minute pleasant walk.

We were easily able to walk to the Aquarium. For those who aren't into walking too much, the train from Town Hall Station arrived at Circular Quay in two stops.

While the girls climbed the Bridge, I took a Harbour tour on Captain Cook Cruises. It was breathtaking and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I got some great photos (including the girls climbing on the bridge!). As it's a "hop on/hop off" tour ticket, it stops at many sites of interest aroudn the Harbour. And I was able to get off at Pier 26, close to my hotel. Fantastic!

I was surprised to find that there were no public internet facilities for guests.

To be fair, each unit has internet facilities as long as you bring your laptop (we didn't, as we had to leave our bags in the car for a few hours prior to flying to Sydney and were afraid of theft). We incorrectly assumed that there would be one or two PCs in a public room or Business Centre that we could use for checking email, and whatever else. Not so. We were directed to a local convenience store which offered cheap internet, but man, were those computers grubby, and I wasn't comfortable typing my passwords into those machines. So I used my phone's internet capabilities, instead.

There was a gym and pool but we neither used nor saw either as we had only a few days to take in the sights of Sydney.

One complaint we all had (and I mean EVERYONE, not just us) was the sad state of the lifts. There are only two, and one was out of order. One lift for 29 floors worth of guests was ridiculous, and it usually meant a LONG wait for it to collect us at the top floor, and another long wait in a can of sardines as it stopped at virtually every floor on the way down. There does not appear to be a service lift, since we often had to share with housekeeping carts and the like, which was ridiculous.

I was told by a lift worker that the broken lift is problematic, has broken down before, and needs big $$ spent on it (I got the impression that they keep doing band-aid fixes). I asked what would happen if BOTH lifts broke and the guy said with a chuckle, "You'd be doing a lot of stair climbing" (I don't THINK so!). He said that even having two working lifts was inadequate for a building this size.

Climbing twenty-nine flights would simply be unacceptable. I'd need a holiday after my holiday! I would ask them to collect my things, check me out, and put me and my arthritic knees up elsewhere! For others like me, the lift situation may be something to enquire about before booking, I think! I shudder to think what a disabled person would do!

Your apartment can be serviced daily, if needed. We found that although the "do not disturb" sign was hung on the door (the flip side was "Please make up my room"), housekeeping had come in as the bath mat was rolled up when I returned. I think it's primarily to count mini-bar items.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay at the Medina Sydney Central. Other than the lift thing, I would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank AxellaJ
Melbourne, VIC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2009

If your looking for an apartment hotel, this one is not too bad. I was given a studio room on the top most floor on the building. There is nothing fancy about this hotel, but it is clean and good for the price. Also, the location of the hotel is right in the heart of the CBD.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

Stayed for one night on a business trip. Room was spacious enough with balcony, queen bed & desk. Kitchenette included microwave, toaster, fridge and crockery etc which was useful.

Bed was surprisingly comfortable despite being basic and all linens clean but tired looking. The noise level from the street was very loud despite being on level 27. I barely slept. This is not within the hotel's control obviously and is the price you pay for being in such a central location.

Only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the restaurants at Darling Harbour. No restaurant in hotel but not a problem as you are spolied for choice locally. Breakfast served in cafe downstairs was fine, nothing exciting but cheap by Sydney standards.

Hotel pool was plesant although not lit at 6am when it opened so had to swim in semi-darkness.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business