“Central location”

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall
Ranked #56 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed overnight and was upgraded to one bed apartment which was fully equipped. One of the few Sydney hotels that has onsite parking, walking distance to Chinatown and Darling Harbour, close to train station and two stops from Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House. Lots of restaurants, pubs and coffee houses closeby.
Staff were extremely helpful, but check out was an issue with all guests lined up in the small reception area at the one time, had to wait over 20 mins for an elevator that wasn't already full.

Room Tip: We stayed on level 11, heard no street noise however shower drainage and ac struggled
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

Dear Maggie B,

Thank you for posting the comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our hotel to be so comfortable, well positioned and maintained and that you have enjoyed your stay. We are glad that the "Overnght stay" was such a great fun.
I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us. Also, I will personally pass on this great feedback to our team members. Feedback like this makes us feel very happy and proud.

We are looking forward to welcoming you at our hotel again.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Medina for 7 days, including Christmas day. My family was originally looking for hotels around the main ferry terminal, but I live in Sydney and recommended the area closer to the Medina - it's more lively and has better shopping/restaurant districts. If you want to be in the CBD, this is a great location. If you want a spacious room, this is a good property. But if you want full-service staff, an up-to-date room interior, and nice amenities... look elsewhere.

Our experience with the receptionist upon check-in was pleasant, she mentioned we had an upgraded room with a view of Darling Harbour - which we were excited about. But once we arrived in our room, we had a view of a large building 20 feet away. So we called down and asked if they had made a mistake on our room allocation, but they had simply made a mistake on the comment around the view. So that was a bit disappointing, but not a big deal.

Our remaining experiences with the staff were quite unpleasant. When the floor staff would hop in the elevator with you, you'd at least expect some sort of acknowledgment. But from these guys... nothing. No smile, no 'hello', no 'Happy Holidays'. This was surprising.

On our last day, we wanted to do some boxing day shopping in the morning, and then move to our hotel in Bondi in the afternoon. So I kindly rang the front desk, asking for a 'complimentary' late check-out, which hotels do ALL THE TIME, especially during the Christmas period for 'good faith'. But not the Medina. They were strict with their policy, stating we'd have to pay for even an extra hour. This was simply upsetting.

I was deliberating giving the Medina a 3/5, but because my experiences with the staff, they get a 2.

Room Tip: Request a darling harbour view. The higher the better to avoid the noisy streets below.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
APILARSKI, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Town Hall, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear JoelN77,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at the Medina Grand Sydney.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our hotel to be comfortable and well positioned. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and its features as well as the service. We will most certainly take it on board and will try to improve as quickly as possible. We hope and always try to provide the best customer service as we have always been of the belief that this one thing makes anyone's trip to our hotel this much more special. I am still of the very strong opinion that our team is made of great hospitality employees that are willing to assist at all times. I am sorry to see that on this occasion we have underperformed however.
We would be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and we would certainly endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as comfortable as possible. I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at the Medina Grand for four nights last week with my family of 6. We had a 3 bedroom apartment, with nice views of downtown Sydney. The accomadations, by Austrailian standards, were very good. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The gym was adequate, and indoor pool was small but nice. Location was good, being a short walk to Darling Harbor and it's attractions, and a doable mile (1.6 kilometer) walk to the Circular Quay/Opera House. Housekeeping was good, and room was clean and spacious. Wifi was only available for a charge in the room, and in the hotel lobbey you could only use once/room for 30 minutes/day at no charge (not good as far as my teens were concerned).

I would recommend staying here as it was one of the better hotels we stayed at in Australia, but by American standards it was a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Sham609,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, so detailed feedback. We are all very happy to see that you have found our team to be helpful, friendly and that we did go out of our way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I also thank you for your comments on our rooms and location and that you have found Medina Grand Sydney to be comfortable, well positioned and maintained. We have taken your comments on internet into consideration and will certainly pass them on to the relevant department for review.
We will be very happy to welcome you at the hotel again and will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be as enjoyable as the one that you have described above.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed two nights on business. Nothing spectacular, in fact it seems there isn't much in Sydney that is.

The place could do with a major refurbishment. Very early ninety's styled bathrooms. Rooms are comfortable enough but for the cost I'd expect a lot more.

There are some great restaurants in the area, and you are kind of between Chinatown and the city centre and right near town hall station.

It's not a bad hotel, it's just that it has no real wow factor, but as stated above, not many Sydney hotels do. You could do a lot worse, but you could probably do better too. Average really sums it up I feel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear asia_short_tripper,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. I am happy to see that you have found our hotel comfortable, well maintained and clean. I have noted your comments regarding the state of the bathrooms and an overall state of the hotel. We are currently undergoing a refurbishment that includes refreshments of bathrooms, upgrade to in-rooms furniture and appliances. I hope the 'wow' factor has now returned to our rooms. Our rooms' and apartments' range is well described on our website. Selection of apartments include premier type apartments that offer stunning city skyline views.
I hope we will see you at our hotel again soon. We will endeavour to ensure that your next visit will be enjoyable.
At the same time I wanted to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

I have so far stayed one night out of 2 in a studio apartment at medina grand on the 19th floor. The reception staff were very friendly and assisted me with eating places and advised on the meal delivery service for nearby restaurants/take away places when I had settled into my room after arriving late, 8.30pm, and realised there was no room service here for dinner.....the room was lovely, clean and comfortable however I had a view of a building wall...... what tha!! What's the point in having a balcony when there is only a wall and other ugly buildings to look at......

I won't be staying here again as there are better choices elsewhere for the same price which will cater to my preferences of a view of city and proper room service.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Ilovedigs,

Thank you so much for your very nice feedback. We are all very happy that your visit to Sydney was such a great experience, also because of our hotel.
If I could only explain a little bit about our room types and no views issue; our premier room types offer city skyline views (Studio Premier, 1 and 2 Bedroom Premier Apartments). As your booking was made for a standard room type, views are usually limited. Rooms often overlook neighbouring buildings as we are located in the center of Sydney's CBD area. Our rooms and apartments range is well described on our website.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed at Medina for 4 days. The Rooms a very clean and tidy. The staff are great and very helpful. The location is prime. It had its own Car Park space which was nice. We could go for a drive anytime we want and dont wory about a car spot when we arrive back. The swimming pool and suana was fun.Maybe if there was a Spa it could off been better. But overal it was nice. The price was not that expensive, compare to the date and location of the Hotel. I will definatly stay at this hotel again and recomend to every one.... ... ... ... .. . ... ... ... ... ... .... ... .. ... ... .. ... .. ... ... . ... . ... . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...... ... ...... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... ... ... .. . ... ... ... ... ... .... ... .. ... ... .. ... .. ... ... . ... . ... . ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...... ... ...... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Room Tip: Request a City View Balcony
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear alleyesonme69,

I'm also very pleased that you have acknowledged our team members in this way. I will make sure that our entire team will get to celebrate this success. I will personally share your comments with all departments. Feedback like yours makes us very proud.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We chose here as it was one of the few apartment style hotels within our price range. It was in a good location within a 10 - 15 min walking distance of darling harbour and pitt street mall and across the road from town hall train station.

We stayed on level 10 and the road noise was quiet loud, I wouldn't stay there on a lower level again, also I imagine the higher level have a view of Darling Harbour, however our room had a view of the surrounding buildings.

The room was very clean and roomy and had everything we needed.

For the money we could have stayed in much nicer hotels in a standard hotel room, but with the requirement of an apartment I was happy with our stay

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Jamesies,

I have also noted your comments regarding a room location on lower levels. As you rightly mentioned in your review, we do offer rooms with city skyline views. Generally our premier room types offer city skyline views. These are located on higher levels of the hotel. Our 1 and 2 bedroom apartments offer more living space, greater range of cooking facilities and/or laundry facilities. Our rooms' and apartments' range is well described on our website.