“In the middle of it all”

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
australia
“In the middle of it all”
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The motel is situated right next to the Aquarium/wildlife park . Shopping within the city is a few minutes stroll up king street. The Medina Grand H would be my only choice if I was attend Darling Harbour and need a central place to stay . So close to Lime street /King street wharf which have plenty of restaurants to choose a variety of different cuisine & most turn into nightclubs after 10pm. Plus the water taxi's/jet boats/harbour cruise boats dock close-by. (there is no noise as the rooms have 2 sets of sliding doors) on balcony rooms.
This motel has secure self parking (Xtra$) underneath & my suggestion only do so if you have a small car. Check in is after 2pm & out by 10 you may leave your car up until 1pm (check first).
There is a bottleshop close by at the back entrance (lime st) & a small The Medina Grand Harbourside is well located its central to everything that Darling Harbour has to offer not to mention great food within Breakfast/lunch/dinner at Lime St restaurant. Plus super beds.
There is also a bottle shop close by at the back entrance (lime st) & a small convienance store. (Taxi's run all night on this street).
In room safe provided.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank grub08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I stayed here in November & I booked 2 rooms in advance. I requested 1 bdrm Queen Studio apartments. The hotel is small but fantastic. Non- smoking, very clean, with ajoining cafe, pool & gym & very clean toilets in the lobby area. One problem was that Ben at check-in did not explain why he held onto $1,900.00 on my credit card, when my total bill was under $1,500.00. This made me angry as I understand $100 fee but $400 left me without $300 of my own money towards spending. This is my ONLY complaint. However after talking to a very helpfull lady on the desk named Charlotte, she manage to fix my request. She was outstanding & a credit to the hotel. After a lot of searching reviews online I chose this hotel as I just didnt want to spill straight onto the city street with noise, cars, smoking etc. The hotel is city side of Darling Harbour so no long trek just to cross the bridge to the city. The views were awsome of Darling Harbour & due to being in Shelley St, which vitually had no traffic our cab could always pull up outside with no drama. The rooms / studios were great very clean, spacious and with a balcony I could open to for fresh air, instead of aircon which affects my sinus. They had a kitchenette with large fridge and microwave. The bathroom was lovely and had a washing machine & dryer (very handy). As well as a TV in the lounge there was a TV in the bedroom. This hotel offers excellent value for money along with a fantastic location. Next block down is a 24 hour 7/11 store And literally 1 minute to cross the street & you hit a row of resturants, cafes & bars at King St Wharf. Also the ferry connection to Circular Quay. Walk the other direction & 1 minute later you have hit the Wildlife & Aquarium worlds not to mention more resturants & bars. Five minutes walk & we have hit Sydney Imax. Keep walking & in 5 more minutes more resturants along with shopping centre joining the other hotels opposite side of Darling Harbour. Keep walking south 5 minutes & you hit the Chinese Gardens then Paddys Markets. All without having to cross busy streets with traffic & I felt very safe walking the whole Darling Harbour precinct. Again excellent value for money and excellent location. This is my first choice whenever I stay in Sydney.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank bunn107
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights as a part of our trip down the East Coast. The location of this place is great. A few minutes walk and you're at the Aquarium, Wild Life Center, lots of restaurants and bars, Imax and so on. Our room was very nice except that the dishwasher didn't work properly and there was an empty baby bottle from previous guests under a sofa which felt to us like our room didn't get thorougly vacuumed before we got it...The car parking felt expensive to us with 32$ and there was no free Wifi.

We've stayed in lots of hotels and serviced appartments already and what stood out a bit was the attitude of the employees at the reception. They weren't particularly friendly and made us feel like we were a nuisance rather then customers...

Overall we can recommend the place if you're looking for a great location and comfortable and modern rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank crashburny
Bewdley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We stopped at the Madina over New Years mainly because it was the cheapest place that we could find (still $400 an night though) and were really happy with what we got; obviously the price was inflated due to the date, the hotel is certainly not worth that rate in itself.

The rooms are spacious and well maintained; the location is very good for most of the main attractions in Sydney as they are in easy walking distance. The hotel is next to Australia Wild and the Sydney Aquarium and there are plenty of harbour front bars and restaurants right on your doorstep.

The only problem we had was that they do not have WIFI, instead you need a cable to plug into the network point next to the desk, this is inconvenient for three reasons, firstly as a couple we both carry laptops on holiday and may both want to use the internet at the same time, secondly smart phones need WIFI unless you want a big data bill and thirdly there is no actual cable in the room, you have to pay a deposit to get these from reception and they did not have enough for each room so we had to go out and buy one. If you are going to be here at a peak time make sure you take your own. If you rely on a mobile device that needs WIFI don’t book here.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TWMC2010
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I will never stay at this hotel again, after having poor service from the moment I walked into the door and the whole stay, When I booked the hotel on the medina website it said one bedroom appartment with a view of Darling Harbour, and after reading all the great reviews on here I had a reasonable expectation, so it came as a shock when I arrived there was no help with my bags as they could see me and my wife struggle to get in the door the receptionist called (Ben) just stared and then looked back down on the computer screen and didn't acknowledge my wife or I, so I walked up to the receptionist and he explained to me that the room that I had booked was incorrect to what they had in there system and in there system it said studio grand appartment, and then basically Ben the receptionist keeped saying that it was the reservationist at fault, and to me this was very unprofessional, and then he said he won't be able to upgrade my room type untill the next day due to the availability, at that point we had no other option but to take the room available, and once we got into the room the furniture was very old and had stains the room smelt like someone had smoked in it previously and most of the lights in the room wasn't working. I then called down to reception that same night and asked if I could have some extra towels and could I get someone to replace the lights not working, ben the receptionist replied how Many people are in your room, and it was just my wife and I, and I told him that and he said ok I'll get some up to you softly..... 1 hour went by and still no one had come, I called reception a 2nd time and asked politely if he knew when the lights would be fixed and the extra towels and, with no appologie he replied "they will be up shortly" and 30minutes went by and still nothing so for the 3rd time I called Down, I explained to him nothing has been done and I would like for it to be down now as I have requested over and over.... Finally the porter came up and fixed it, anyways we where very un' happy about the service so we just decided to check out the next day and stay at another hotel,
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone..

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank Aussiekidd
Sydney
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My boyfriend and i have stayed at the Medina Grand Harbourside several times and it's always been a great experience!

The room has always been spotless and very tidy each time we've stayed there. The bed is as comfortable as my own! Always had a good nights sleep. We always stay in the non-smoking rooms and they have always been pleasent.

The bathroom was so clean and shiny! And the towels are surprisingly soft and feel like new!

The location is excellent!! Right near the Cargo Bar and other clubs as well as the boat docks so if you're going on a cruise on that side of the harbour this hotel is for you! In the morning there is an easy walk to get some breakfast at some on the Harbour side restaurants and then over to the Sydney Aquarium!

The staff have always been friendly and willing to help out.

I would stay at this hotel over and over again. I think it's fantastic!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dee3j
Yateley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Me and my fiance stayed here for 3 nights at the end of a 4 week trip to Australia, we had previously spent 10 days in Sydney at the beginning of our trip, where we stayed with friends.

We spent a long time researching hotels in Sydney trying to find a good location and good price, overall the Medina does well for this and is good value for money given its location.

Our room was upgraded from a studio to an apartment free of charge and it was a welcomed suprise and probably made our stay much more enjoyable. The room was lovely, very spacious and modern and we could have happily spent more time here. The hotel positioning doesnt really give amazing views, but you can get some views of darling harbour.

For location the hotel is good, it is located right in the hub of darling harbour, literally next door to the aquarium, so there is plenty of choice for dining and evening enterntainment close by. Its a little bit out from some of the other city attractions, but if you dont mind a stroll or using the transport system in Sydney then its a great base for a stay. There is a monorail station next to the Aquarium.

The pool at the hotel was small but nice, we didnt really get to use it due to bad weather, but it looked nice.

As a few other reviews have mentioned, we also had curdled milk in our fridge, which when mentioned to the staff, they werent very apologetic. The staff slighlty let this hotel down.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a mid-budget base for exploring Sydney.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple