“For the price not up to standard” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour

Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour
Ranked #24 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Shearwater, Australia
“For the price not up to standard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

The location at Darling Harbour is great but that is what you are primarily paying for as the rooms are average as is the service. We stayed 5 nights in a premier grand studio. The first morning we had housekeeping staff moving trolleys and talking loudly outside our room at 7.00am. At 9.00am we had housekeeping trying to get in to service the room! The balcony area was covered in dirt and grime. The heavy glass sliding doors to close off the bedroom from the living area were almost unmovable and after 3 reports to reception a maintenance man came on the third day. He said that one of the doors was "dangerous" and could fall if moved because of missing parts in the ceiling runner. The uneven floor level betweeen the passage and bathroom meant a "step up"to avoid tripping and falling. Plenty of dirt and dust clearly visible on either side of the washing machine and the glass topped tables all had permanent looking cup and glass bottom stains on them. We realized after leaving that we had been hit with a credit card surchage. No warning and no mention by the receptionist. To top it off we asked reception if they had contact with an airport shuttle bus company. Yes, they do the bookings. He was at least 15 minutes earlier than the agreed time and not happy we were not standing out the front. The small 8 seater was at least 20 years old, had no seat belts, and looked a bomb. The driver drove like an absolute maniac out to the airport frightening everyone onboard including a couple with a baby. Medina need to use another shuttle service urgently. Medina charge a premium tariff and claim to be of a high hotel standard. They need to lift their act dramatically, at least at these premises. Cannot recommend this establishment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KenG157
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Ken G,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

Please accept my sincere apology that your room was not up to the standard that we strive to achieve, please be assured that I have addressed your comments with our housekeeping and maintenance team.

Thank you also for passing on your feedback about your experience with the shuttle bus, I am sorry that this occurred. I have forwarded you feedback onto the manager of the shuttle bus company and I am awaiting his response.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Medina Grand Harbourside in the future, where we will endeavor to ensure that your next visit is a positive experience.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Turkish first
Gold Coast, Qld
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment, a one bedroom with a studio room adjoining. We had booked a rollaway bed for my son to sleep on as his last night as a single man, however he did not use it so it remained in our lounge room the next morning. We luckily had our bedroom door closed as we heard a noise and when got up to see what was going on the rollaway had been removed. So much for privacy. Also during the morning whilst we were walking around our room one of the housekeeping staff came in calling out "mini Bar", I told him we had not used anything and he was going to knock on the door of the adjoining room where my other son was sleeping, I told him not to knock but he just called out "mini bar" until I told him to go away. Obviously did not speak very good English.
All in all we were happy with our room, the bed was comfortable, good blockout curtains.
The Lime cafe adjoining was good for breakfast and the location close to Darling Harbour is great.
On the day we checked out however we took our luggage to reception and waited for someone to attach labels and put it in the lockup room where it stayed until we left for the airport in the afternoon. Just before we left we realised that my son's suit bag was missing and asked the receptionist if it was behind the reception or still in the lockup room, but no one seemed to know where it was. We had to leave for the airport but as my other son was still at the hotel for another night I asked him to follow it up. He again asked the reception if they knew where the suit was and they did not know, but the next time he asked it miraculously turned up behind the reception desk. Whilst we were happy to have the suit returned, it will now means that it will have to be posted back to us from Sydney at a cost we did not need to incur.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank moonpup
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Dear Moonpup,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you were happy with the room and found the bed to be comfortable. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.

I am sorry that there were a number of things go wrong on your last day with us. Please be assured that I have addressed your feedback with the teams involved.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Medina Grand Harbourside in the future, where we will endeavor to ensure that your next visit is a positive experience from start to finish.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

Stayed there on two occasions,firstly for 4 nights in suite and very pleasant indeed.On second occasion we were booked for two nights and got caught by bad weather in Queensland.I phoned the hotel to advise that we might not arrive that night and subsequently rang again confirming that we were stranded and that room could be let go for that night.The first response on both occasions from the hotel was that we would have to pay for room,I had no problem with that and said so each time.Subsequenly I got a call from Booking.com asking why I hadn't taken up the reservation as they had the manager on the phone asking them.I also had to tell Booking .com that I would pay for the room.When we got to Sydney next afternoon and checked in we were given the noisiest and most decrepit studio room (as per original booking ) despite having paid two nights for it.The receptionist and duty manager confirmed that they had rang querying our "noshow" and that it was actually Booking.com that was charging for the room despite the very strong probability that the room had been relet for our missing night as they told me that they had full occupancy all week.It would have taken very little action on the hotel's part to have acknowledged our efforts to keep them informed of our whereabouts.I repeat that I had no difficulty in paying for the unused night as Jetstar had very kindly ( and full credit to them as the near cyclonic weather conditions certainly gave them a ready made opt out had they wished to use it ) put us up on Daydream Island overnight when we were weatherbound on Hamilton Island so we were not out of pocket financially at any rate. It's ironic that the posted reviews on both companies ended up being reversed.I had high expectations of the Medina and low to medium of Jetstar but they ended up being totally professional and the Medina as a tightfisted and customer cold operation.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Autumnsunshine
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Dear Bowsie,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the one bedroom apartment during your first stay with us.

In regards to your second stay, thank you for keeping us informed in regards to your flights. I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy the standard studio as much as the one bedroom apartment you had previously stayed in.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. We arrived early & were greeted warmly by the staff who offered us baggage storage straight away. Our Studio king room was reasonably clean & comfortable although a bit cramped. We asked to be moved from our first room as the room faced Shelley st and was too noisy for us. The safe did not work & there was a leak in the bathroom vanity which the staff attended to promptly. The room we moved to the next day was quiet and we were able to sleep. The attention to detail of cleanliness could be improved for example the corners of the room needed cleaning as did the grout and soap scum around the shower. We were given a car park when we turned up with a car ( you cannot book a spot) and staff were very helpful in organising this for us. The cost was $32 a day. We were told that they only have 20 car parks allocated for this hotel otherwise, they could direct us to another car park 5 min away which was slightly dearer. Overall, we had a pleasant stay and a comfy bed, helpful staff in an excellent location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Darling Harbour. If you like space don't book a studio king room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank copperbuterfly
Dear Copperbuterfly,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Grand Harbourside. I was pleased to read that you found the apartment clean and comfortable, and that you found the team to be helpful.
Thank you also for your feedback back on the cleanliness of the room, please be assured I have addressed your feedback with the housekeeping team.
We hope to welcome you back to Medina Grand Harbourside sometime in the future.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2012

I stayed here for one night on business and was entirely satisfied with the level of service and the quality of the room. Although on the smallish side the room was exceptionally clean and tidy. Although the bathroom was clean, the fittings were of average quality, meaning it was sometimes hard to turn the tap off to stop the water flowing from the basin tap.

The bed was very large and not uncomfortable, but it took up so much room. The desk for laptop work etc. was quite small and uncomfortable to sit at for any length of time.

The cafe downstairs offers chargeback to the room, and was open at a convenient time for breakfast.

Overall a pretty efficient and clean hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank christopher119
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, March 15, 2012
Dear Christopher119,

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments about your recent stay at Medina Grand Harbourside. I was delighted to read that you were pleased with the level of service and the quality of the rooms.
We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Medina Grand Harbourside sometime in the future.
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend with my siblings for a nice weekend away, however we all left disappointed.
Before checking in we called asking information about parking and were told the price and that it they only had 2 carparks left and we couldn't reserve one! This was not a good start seeing as we were still a couple hours away from sydney. Luckly we found else where to park the car.
The second day of our stay we put the room as a do not disturb sign on the room as we were out for the day and and had items of high value in the room we didn't want people in and out of the room while we were away for that much time. When arriving back to the hotel we saw that the house keeping had come into the room even with the do not disturb sign on the door! Happy nothing was missing however very annoyed that privacy was not an option.
During the stay we found staff less that interested to acknowledge our request (one out of 3 completed with out us chasing it up.)
The hotel itself was lovely. Hotel staff need improvement.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear SJ S,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel. In regards to parking, we do state on all of the websites that our parking is subject to availability on arrival, however we do have an arrangement with a public car park close by that we can sell discounted vouchers for if our car park is full.

Please accept my sincere apology that your room was entered although you had put the do not disturb sign on the door, please be assured that this is not our normal practice and I will be addressing your feedback with the housekeeping team.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Stayed in a self-contained one bedroom unit for three nights while in Sydney at the end of our holidays. Harbour view, short walk to restaurants, trains, monorail and ferries. Opposite lots of good bars and near the Casino. Couldn't ask for a better location. Room was good size with a kitchen including a dishwasher and washing machine/dryer. Comfy bed. Good service. Will be staying there again next time we are in Sydney.

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MGHS, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Dear Fergford,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Medina Grand Harbourside. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel along with the space and facilities that the apartments offer and that you found the bed to be comfy.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Grand Harbourside sometime in the future.