“Pleasant”

Ranked #42 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Pleasant”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had a pleasant stay at the Adina - reception staff were consistently WONDERFUL - very helpful, efficient & friendly & the undisputed stars of the hotel. My fiance and I had been travelling for a long time and arrived in Sydney early and the kind staff let us check in early.
The hotel itself is a gorgeous old building & judging by others' photos, some of the rooms are spacious, light and attractive looking.
This was not my experience. Ultimately I paid for what I got which was a clean and adequate but tiny room. The kitchenette was tucked inside a cupboard & adequate for heating food and preparing a light breakky but no more than that. The bathroom was clean but the fixed glass barrier only extends to halfway down the bath and shower water splashes out on the floor - potentially treacherous.
The bed was very comfortable - great sleep. Location, just opposite the train and bus stations was excellent. Added bonus was an awesome coffee shop, Coffee Trails downstairs & round the corner - don't miss a great way to kick off your day in Sydney..

Room Tip: Pay more and get a larger, brighter room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MedinaSydCentral, Front Office Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Central, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Rinderpeste,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback. I am delighted to read your praising comments in regards to our team which have been passed on! I am also glad that you enjoyed the facilities and the location of the hotel. next time, try our 1 bedroom apartment or loft 1 bedroom apartment which give you plenty of extra space.

We look forward welcoming you back at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central in the near future.

Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

The overall experience was very pleasant, the reception and staff were very accommodating. Very polite and friendly cleaning staff.
Room was cleaned daily but on a number of occasions I had to clean sink and the toilet because it wasn't done to my standard. We stayed there almost two week and therefore I noticed it.
I would still recommend the hotel to my friends.
A nice bonus is a lovely heated pool and close proximity to Central Station.
Taxi from the hotel to Oxford street costs $10

• Stayed February 2013
Dear TomSverige,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central. I am pleased to read that our team left you a positive impression. I have spoken to my housekeeping team in regards to the bathroom cleaningness.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central in the near future.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

When I first saw the location of this hotel I was very concerned as I am a poor sleeper and was worried about the noise. I neednt of worried ir was perfect. The location was excellent for all Sydney sights and we used the station a lot but never heard a train. There were 3 adults staying in a 2 bedroom appartment with 2 other adults visiting and we stayed a total of 11 nights over a 3 week period. The cooking facilities are good for simple meals and the staff were always very helpful. Yes the wifi and mini fridge items were expensive but we went and bought from a local supermarket and a mobile wifi device - we couldnt access the free half hour in the lobby despite trying on several occasions. Sydney is very expensive to us Brits but that is not the hotel more the exchange rate. I am a middle aged women who is used to a good standard of comfort and I was not dissapointed and because of the convenient location I would definately return here which I might as my daughter is living in Sydney. I have read the other reviews and am surprised at some of them, wonder about their expectations and what they are used to at home!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne N
Dear Anne N,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. The team at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central is thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central in the future.

Wales
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in 2 bed apartment. Thankfully visited and stayed with friends for 1 night away from the place. Travelled around Australia and this was the worst. Rooms could do with a good upgrade. Patched up doors and walls, a stained toilet pan, 2 over bath showers completely outdated, no complimentaries not even for the first night - charged for everything in the room and at extortionate prices and the pillows OMG they were like Slabs of concrete!! Had to go out and buy 4 pillows so we could get some sleep. And what's the glassed off area called a bedroom all about?! The furniture was the most uncomfortable I have ever sat on and it was grubby. The windows were welded shut and handles missing. No wifi in the room and an extortionate price to use it - they do offer half an hour in the public area but if you close it down after 5 mins by mistake that's it you can't log back in until the next day!!!! Time they caught up with others on this one. Just thankful we were out most of the day so we didn't have to spend too much time there. The city was pretty full otherwise I would have moved on. The only decent thing about this place was the public area and the fact it is quite close to everything.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here at all
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank CillaSister
MedinaSydCentral, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Central, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear CillaSister,

I'm sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. If you find the time could you please email (sydneycentral@adinahotels.com.au) me the apartment number you were staying in so I can investigate the room.
In regards to the pillows, we do have Feather pillows available on site and my team would have been more than happy to supply them to you. The windows in the property are Heritage Listed so we are unable to alter their appearance, the property itself has been around since 1915.
All rooms in the property have Wifi which is an outsourced serviced and therefore we are able to offer rates that are made available to us by the provider.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our room was good size, larger than many hotel rooms in the city and quite well appointed with a bar fridge, sink, cutlery etc. Bed was comfortable but a bit cramped for space on one side being too close to the wall. We just moved the bedside table to get adequate space. The bathroom was a bit tired but well functioning.

Its in a great location with a major bus terminal right outside the door and the main Sydney train station two minutes walk. Taxis were plentiful. Despite all this activity we hardly heard any noise in our room. Good night's sleep!!! If you have your car, parking is available on site for $30.

Nearby restaurants will deliver to the rooms and a Breakfast pack can be purchased at reception. My recommendation for Breakfast or Dinner is one of the many nearby restaurants or cafes.

Excellent location when visiting sydney, we'll be back.

2 Thank Stevejomac
Dear Stevejomac,

The team at Adina Apartment Hotel are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central and thank you for taking the time to provide us with great feedback.
We look forward to see you again when you are back in Sydney.

Kind Regards
perth
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the Medina for a week of the New Year.

Firstly, the staff were very rude! We had no help with our bags and were just given a key for the lift which was not programmed correctly.

Secondly, the apartment room that we stayed in was very run down ... the windown handles were all broken off, the paint was faded and there dishwasher was leaking (when we told reception about this they just put a towel down which made the room smell damp).

Thirdly, we checked out 3rd January and have still not received our $100 bond back. I contacted the hotel on several occasions and spoke to the manager who informed me he could not do anything and hung up twice! I then spoke to another manager (4th time on the phone to the hotel), who apologised but also informed me that he could not do anything and the matter was with the bank. I checked with my bank and they informed me the hotel have to contact their relationship manager who will sort this out .... this is still going on so we will seem!

I would never recommend this hotel, in fact if you would like to stay in a nice, friendly hotel do not stay here!

The only one good thing about the hotel was the location ... but 1 good against 10 bad is not worth it. I am very diappointed that I have to write a review like this as I like to give great reviews when they have been earnt.

Medina .... Or Adina as you are now known you need to sort these issues out!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay there
3 Thank Very D
Dear Very D,

Thank you for posting the comments regarding your stay at the Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Central.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.
I have noted your comments in regards to the service at the hotel and wanted to assure you that this feedback has been passed onto the relevant department for review.

In regards to the credit card pre authorisation of $100 I am sorry to read that the temporary authorisation on the card took a while to clear from your banks system. I am pleased to hear though, that this issue has been resolved.

Please let me know when you are back in town as I would like to welcome you back to the hotel and to ensure that you have an enjoyable stay.

Canowindra
Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I attended the KFC T20 Australia Day cricket last night and had just the nicest, central accommodation at the Medina. We arrived at Central Station and walked across the road to our hotel. how easy was that?! We were early and our room was not quite ready so stored our bags and went for a stroll through The Hay Markets and received a phone call when our room was available. On return we found our bags in our room with a complimentary bottle of champagne. We were starting to feel like royalty! And we had a spacious 1 bedroom apartment!! We had a most comfortable stay and felt very special. A BIG thank you to the manager and staff :)

Room Tip: Choose the 1 bedroom apartment
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
MedinaSydCentral, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney, Central, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Maths,

We look forward to see you again when you are back in Sydney.

Kind Regards