“Expensive and noisy in early hours but responsive front desk.”

Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
Ranked #74 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Expensive and noisy in early hours but responsive front desk.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We paid about $250/night, being a last minute booking as our other accommodation fell through. Our room over looked the alley way where the garbage trucks pick up the rubbish in the early hours. Luckily my toddler slept through it. Otherwise our one bedroom apartment was comfortable with a fully equipped kitchen. Front desk was very attentive. We had an issue with the air con and they came up straight away to take a look. We were going to take the airport bus but they suggested for a bit more we could have a private mini van and we didn't need to pick up others along the way, saving us time in the morning peak traffic. Great location, walking distance to circular quay, Chinatown etc. If mobility is an issue, ask if all the shower bases are high. Ours was like a square tub, 80cm high so you have to climb in.

• Stayed March 2013
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear starnite,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
I will pass on your comment about the the Staff to my team.
So glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us and found the room to your satisfaction.
All the bathrooms are the same with the shower over the quarter size bathtub which means one has to climb in to it.
The double glazing,when everything is closed,greatly reduces any outside noise.
Regards, Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

we were travelling with friends, so were 2 families of 4. We were only in Sydney for the weekend so wanted something central, not expensive and with a kitchen. The Medina met all of these criteria well and truly.

The location is central, just off Pitt St, near Martin Place. It was a short walk (even with young kids) to the Quay, the Rocks, the QVB and Darling Harbour. There is a Coles Express half a block away for groceries. However it is located in a back alley and is a little difficult for taxi's to find. There is NO view - only an alley or a brick wall.

The room was clean and reasonably presented, but certainly is tired. The batteries in the remote control were being held in by sticky-tape, there was no tea-towel for drying dishes and the shower requires a gymnastic feat to climb over the 3 foot edge. My youngest needed to be lifted in. The doona only covers the top surface of the bed with no overhang, so it is barely adequate once 2 people are in the bed.

There is a large balcony, but it too faces a brick wall. It is very dull, not a pleasant place to be.

Then there is the noise. Our kids were sleeping on the pull-out sofa bed which was directly under the air-con and they were cold. So we turned down the air-con and opened the one tiny window in our bedroom. The noise from the alley, the construction work and the 2-4am garbo round emptying the industrial bins meant we had NO sleep. Even once we closed the window, the noise was barely reduced. Our room was on a corner and had glass bricks in the side wall, meaning it was light by 6am, meaning the kids were awake, meaning we were awake too.

The staff: initially seemed very good. We arrived early but they gave us access to one of our 2 rooms to store our bags. However our friends had a problem with their room, by evening of the first night, it was not habitable. The staff response was initially disbelieving and uninterested - the hotel was full, there was nothing they could do. Until they saw the issue themselves, then they found a spare room and quickly cleaned it. However, despite having to change rooms twice in 2 days, there was little to no sympathy from the staff and certainly NO offer of compensation.

If you want a basic room in a central location and nothing goes wrong, then Medina is more than adequate. If you are a light sleeper, or appreciate customer service, then maybe look elsewhere

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear skyrowe,
thanks for taking the time out to write your review.
As was explained the reason we had to move the family to another room was because the exhaust fan of the restaurant below was not working therefore the smoke was going in to their room. The next day they wanted to go back to the same room so they could be next to you. Then we said to be sure we would move them to the other room next to you.
At the moment it is necessary to keep the double glazing closed because of the construction going on.
I actually spoke to the family & suggested they move to the new apartment rather than go back to the original room & they were very agreeable to that suggestion.
Hopefully you & the kids still enjoyed Sydney as I know it was the first time for some of them.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

On the plus side, the location of Medina is excellent. But the minuses greatly outweigh that convenience. We are not squeamish peoiple, but this place was dirty. On arrival, dirty Kleenex, bobby pins, soy sauce packets on the floor. Lighting was dingy, and little sunlight to the room, because the windows face a brick wall 6 feet away. Construction across the alley woke me four times first night. Staff occasionally caring, but some of them clearly wanted to be somewhere else. Not recommended..

Room Tip: All of the rooms face a brick wall
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Gumbydoc,
thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am very sorry that we didn't meet your expectations.
I am very surprised that you found the apartment in such a state. Hopefully you reported it immediately so we were able to rectify the situation.
Unfortunately we can't do much about the demolition of the office building across the way.
The closure of the double glazing doors & windows greatly diminishes any noise penetration.
I will pass on to my Team the comments you made about the staff.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

The apartments are clean and tidy and the location is fabulous although if you are a light sleeper the noise would be an issue. As I wear ear plugs I had no trouble sleeping. The service on the other hand was below average. Both the evening that we arrived and when checking out the next morning. The front desk staff were not very helpful, seemed to be an issue asking for any information and gob smakingly rude the next day when checking out. Would not stay there again as there are so many places to choose from where the service is much better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear WSSmith1,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
Frankly I'm surprised about your comments on the service. My Team have had nothing but praise from guests in regards to helpfulness.
Please accept my apology for your experience.
I will go through your review with my Team in order for them to get back up on their toes.
Best regards, Warren
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Three phone calls from reception between 2.45 and 3am! Garbage trucks at 3.30 and 7am. Really hot room but then the air con makes it too cold. To get into the shower you had to step up about one meter, I am short but the shower head was really low so you hit your head on it a few times and when trying to duck under it the large taps are in the way so you hit your arms. There were hairs in the shower and one towel was dirty (you only get two). The level 2 hall was hot and smelly. At $185 a night I expected more. Good location.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear realistic5,
thanks for your review.
Unfortunately these garbage collectors are independent and can come at all times of the night.
However with all the double glazed windows & doors closed it greatly reduces all outside noise.
Please accept my apolgy for the uncleanliness of the shower & the towel.
This will be passed on to our Housekeeping Department.
We do try & keep on top of the cleanliness of our rooms.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I need a convenient place right in the middle of Sydney and found this gem. It was quiet with a great room and kitchette. I wasn't expecting the kitchette but it solved dinner and breakfast issues because there was a storm raging so I was able to eat in and it was so relaxing. The best part was the price - very reasonable....unfortunately there is no car park but I'm assured there are commercial facilities nearby. Nearby also are all the city facilities you could ever want within a short walk. There is also no free WIFI - that's a litte sad these days of computer everything but no big deal. The reception staff are friendly and accomodating....nothing was to hard for them and they securely stored my suitcase while I attended a meeting. I'd certainly stay there again - the room was clean, neat great size and well appointed with table, TV, safe etc. Thanks for a nice stay.

Room Tip: This Hotel is down in Hosking place so it's a bit trick to find. It is off the main street so I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Turkus_Maximus,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We are very happy that you found our property very much to your liking.
I will pass on your comments about the Staff to them.
Northland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed for three nights last week and had numerous deliveries of business collateral in advance of my arrival. The front office team were very helpful and delivered each item to my room.

Due to an issue beyond their control I was considering relocating after my first night and the manager Warren was very helpful. Luckily the issue was resolved and I stayed for the full duration of my booking.

There are trains, food court, restaurants, bars and shops very near by so this is a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear spinner s,
thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
I will pass on to my team your comments about them.
I too was glad that we could resolve that first night issue.
Look forward to greeting you again sometime in the future.