“Don't stay if you want sleep”

Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
Ranked #72 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Don't stay if you want sleep”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Three phone calls from reception between 2.45 and 3am! Garbage trucks at 3.30 and 7am. Really hot room but then the air con makes it too cold. To get into the shower you had to step up about one meter, I am short but the shower head was really low so you hit your head on it a few times and when trying to duck under it the large taps are in the way so you hit your arms. There were hairs in the shower and one towel was dirty (you only get two). The level 2 hall was hot and smelly. At $185 a night I expected more. Good location.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear realistic5,
thanks for your review.
Unfortunately these garbage collectors are independent and can come at all times of the night.
However with all the double glazed windows & doors closed it greatly reduces all outside noise.
Please accept my apolgy for the uncleanliness of the shower & the towel.
This will be passed on to our Housekeeping Department.
We do try & keep on top of the cleanliness of our rooms.
Regards, Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I need a convenient place right in the middle of Sydney and found this gem. It was quiet with a great room and kitchette. I wasn't expecting the kitchette but it solved dinner and breakfast issues because there was a storm raging so I was able to eat in and it was so relaxing. The best part was the price - very reasonable....unfortunately there is no car park but I'm assured there are commercial facilities nearby. Nearby also are all the city facilities you could ever want within a short walk. There is also no free WIFI - that's a litte sad these days of computer everything but no big deal. The reception staff are friendly and accomodating....nothing was to hard for them and they securely stored my suitcase while I attended a meeting. I'd certainly stay there again - the room was clean, neat great size and well appointed with table, TV, safe etc. Thanks for a nice stay.

Room Tip: This Hotel is down in Hosking place so it's a bit trick to find. It is off the main street so I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Turkus_Maximus,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We are very happy that you found our property very much to your liking.
I will pass on your comments about the Staff to them.
Northland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed for three nights last week and had numerous deliveries of business collateral in advance of my arrival. The front office team were very helpful and delivered each item to my room.

Due to an issue beyond their control I was considering relocating after my first night and the manager Warren was very helpful. Luckily the issue was resolved and I stayed for the full duration of my booking.

There are trains, food court, restaurants, bars and shops very near by so this is a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear spinner s,
thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
I will pass on to my team your comments about them.
I too was glad that we could resolve that first night issue.
Look forward to greeting you again sometime in the future.
Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Excellent appartments with everything you need - including a washing machine. Large and very nice rooms. The hotel is in the middle of the city - ten minutes walk to the Circular Quay and five minutes walk to the mall and all the shopping opportunities. Darling Harbour is also close.
Staff is very service minded.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear JetteDenmark,
thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
I am very happy that you enjoyed our accommodation. I will pass on your comments to my Team.
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

A friend and I stayed 6 nights at Medina Serviced Apartment Martin Place. It is not real easy to find coming from the airport, but let the taxi driver know that Hosking Place is basically across the street from Tiffany...and every other high end designer store in Sydney! Located down an alley, surrounded by other high rises, there is no view at all, except into offices buildings. Our corner room on the 6th floor was plain, quiet, and clean. Nothing more. Hotel staff were reserved and professional.

The reason you stay here is that it is very centrally located. Never a problem finding a taxi, steps from the train station, in the middle of a shoppers paradise, surrounded by cafes, restaurants, and all the bustle of the CBD, and less than 20 minutes to the airport.

It was nice having a refrigerator and microwave for our drinks and snacks. Otherwise, our kitchen went unused. Washer and dryer worked fine. Our internet connection, which was an additional charge, really only worked in the bedroom. Besides that, no real complaints.

Room Tip: I would ask for a high floor, corner room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jet Nag
Dear JetNag,
thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your comments to my Team.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. I have stayed in a number of places around Sydney, and I have to say this is the first I would return to if the price was right. There are so many affordable options in Sydney but you can never be sure about quality. This was right on the money if your interest lies in an apartment that is clean, central, quiet and with suitably modern furnishings. It was a good size room with a decent sized kitchen and bathroom. I actually loved the laneway (christened Diagon alley thanks to the magic shop) - it kept the rooms quiet in the face of being in the middle of the city. You can walk straight through they alley which is very convenient. I slept incredibly well here and otherwise found it clean and a great location, which is all I can really ask for in Sydney. I paid a great price for it on wotif and would happily return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wanderingjen
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear wanderingjen,
thank you for taking the time out to write a review.
We are very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I will share your comments with the Team.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

This hotel is in a great location with the exception of the seediness of the lane where the entrance is situated. Staff were pleasant and the apartments themselves well presented. The only real negative was there was no top sheet on the bed and there were a couple of hairs on the bottom sheet leading me to wonder if the linen had actually been changed. Only one thing but an important one and it did make a big difference to how I felt about the premises and the clincher on whether I would return or not... A shame because I visit Sydney alot for work and having given up on one of the other apartment chains due to their declining standards I was hoping this might serve as a future regular place of stay.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Cat0111
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Cat0111,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
please accept my apology for the hairs being on the bottom sheet.
We do take the utmost care about these things with Room attendants. I will reinforce this with them acting on your comments.
Hopefully we will see you again. When making the booking please put in the request to have a top sheet on the bed.
As all the beds have a doona, the doona cover itself is like a top sheet hence only the proper sheet on the bottom. We do understand though that some people prefer to have the 2 sheets as well as the doona cover and we gladly fullfill these requests for top sheets.
Kind regards, Warren