“GOOD CLEAN ACCOMMODATION IN CBD”

Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
Ranked #84 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Located in Hosking Street, this place is a bit tucked away, but is so convenient for all of central Sydney. Handy for buses, rail, etc. Room was of good size, clean with good bathroom. Kitchenette very good, with Smeg appliances. Front desk staff very pleasant and helpful. Nothing not to like here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Had an excellent 4 night stay here. For us, couple plus 3 year old, it was perfect.
Positives
Easy taxi ride from airport
Staff granted us very early check in 10 am! Invaluable when travelling with a child who really needs a midday sleep
Location, 5 mins walk to Pitt st etc shopping, supermarket nearby on king st/George st corner. 10 mins walk to harbour etc
Comfortable bed.
Very spacious apartment, adequately equipped kitchen.
Very quiet, no noise from other residents. Can hear street noise, but very muffled.
Very reasonable price-best deal was directly from hotel website. $168/night in the centre of Sydney, hard to do better i think.
Clean.

Negatives
Shower head provides a less than luxurious spray..super water economical
Bathroom is a bit poky, esp access to toilet.
Kitchen saucepans dangerous, handle heats up when saucepan heats up
Glass bricks in living room let light in, but if you were to sleep on couch bed, they would be very annoying, let in sunlight and streetlights in.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Good location for touring the city and easy walk to Cicular Quay and The Rocks.
Close to all transport. Railway approx 100 metres and bus stops similiar distance.Quiet location in side street away from noisy traffic. Only downside is room is very dark, as surounded by tal buildings and due to double glass and verandah, not much natural light.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

The apartment was everything we expected - great location, spotlessly clean, and very good amenities. The only criticism is that the front desk staff member on our arrival was not friendly and welcoming, as you'd expect. He did not even say hello (even after I said hello to him), just took my booking form, processed the booking and handed me the cards to our room. Very disappointing as everything else about Medina Apartments was ideal.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We were in Sydney for the Vivid Festival, it was a wet weekend.

The Medina at Martin Place is actually tucked away in Hosking Place , a small lane of Castlereagh street,, just 25 meters from Martin Place.
As the advertising says , it doesn't get an more central.
We were a mere 10min walk to Circular Quay, 10mins from the Pitt street Mall, 10 Mins to Wynyard Train Station.
The apartment itself was spacious and roomy. There was 3 of us, and the sofa bed was OK for a couple of nights, according to the teenager.
Plenty of space in the kitchen , which was fully 'tooled up' with kitchen equipment.
The bathroom was clean and bright, and we even found the laundry behind closed doors , which was useful for drying damp clothes after our harbour side rainy evening.

AS mentioned in a previous post , there are double windows and doors, which just about (95%) cuts out any city noise.

There is a smart looking Japanese restaurant downstairs, and down the lane , which I would have liked to have tried, but , alas , the teenager does not have an adventurous palate , Yet!.
However there did not seem to be many other eating places close by. The Rocks Area is perhaps a 20min walk , with a wide variety of food to choose from.
The room does have 3 Menus for Food Deliveries.
There is a Pizza hut 1 Block west, in an emergency.
The is a Bottle shop for Take away alcohol 1 block east.

Overall, I would stay again, and I would recommend it for Friends,
Try it if you need to be in Central Sydney.

1  Thank TinDingo
Nathalie B, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear TinDingo,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and its location as we all look forward seeing you again soon.

Nathalie B

Reviewed May 24, 2013

What could be better than your own apartment in the middle of the city!

The rooms have double sliding doors and windows, meaning it is very quiet and peaceful inside. The bedroom wasn't huge but was big enough and had a nice balcony off to the side.

The living area is comfortable and the kitchenette is a decent size with a full size fridge. There is also a small dining table. There is so much great food in Sydney though you would probably only use the kitchen if you were staying long term or short on money (In which case you would probably stay at a cheaper hotel).

Finding the hotel can be a slight challenge, particularly at night, so check out google street view before you arrive. Yes the hotel is in a back alleyway but rest assured this is very safe part of Sydney. All the top end fashion labels have stores right near Martin Place and it is the big business/banking end of town.

It's not far from here to Circular Quay if you feel like a stroll, and Pitt Street mall is close by too. At night, the area is a bit dead compared to George Street or Chinatown, but they are only a short taxi trip away.

I usually feel pretty uninspired by Sydney hotels, but the apartment style hotel certainly gives this place a bit of an edge in my book.

It isn't the fanciest place in town but it's probably among the most comfortable.

Room Tip: Go for the apartment
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank asia_short_tripper

Dear Asia_short_tripper,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

It was a pleasure hearing that you enjoyed the hotel and felt comfortable as we do wish to put forward that comfort as much as possible.

We all look forward to seeing you again.

Nathalie B

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was looking for a reasonably priced place to stay for one night because I didn't want to risk missing a connection from Tasmania to my international flight from SYD to the USA. Because the flight from Tasmania arrived in the afternoon, I wanted to be within walking distance of Circular Quay. (A nonissue as it turned out--a pre-monsoon rain!) The best value for my purposes seemed to be Medina Classic Martin Place, in spite of the fact that it was clearly described as a business apartment hotel. It was perfect!!

If I ever had business in Sydney, I would definitely stay in one of these apartments--especially if an extended stay were required. It's centrally located--for business and for evening dining in "The Rocks" or along Circular Quay. My one-bedroom apartment was well laid out, well-stocked, clean and quiet. Please be clear, this is a business hotel; there is nothing close to concierge service. I found the young men at the desk to be polite enough, but definitely not service oriented--even for a night clerk. (I arrived c. 4:30 p.m. on a Friday. The staff during a week-day might be better trained.) Fortunately, I had arranged for my taxi-driver from the airport to pick me up the next morning. I doubt that the desk person would have been much help.

One point though, this address is tucked in an alley. Because several TA reviewers indicated that even taxi drivers had trouble finding the address, I had called the manager a couple of days beforehand (obtained from my Booking.com reservation confirmation), and asked for explicit driving directions. I gave them to my driver and he came right to the door with no problems. Suggestion: Do not use a shuttle service (with their little trailers they'd never make it, and grouse about it loudly), and provide the driver with written directions.

Enjoy the terrace! (See photos.)

One night; January 2013.

[Addendum. After writing this, I read some of the more recent reviews. I had forgotten about the high wall around the shower. I'm a "sr. citizen" with bad knees and had no problem because there was a grab-bar; but I have long legs. I can see how it would be a problem for shorter people. I had to chuckle re all the negative comments re the stationary showerhead. In the USA one rarely finds an adjustable showerhead!]

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janice S

Dear Janice,

Thank you for your time to write your review.

We were all pleased to hear your comments and insights to your stay with us. We all look forward seeing you again very soon we hope.

Nathalie Ba