“Good location-not much else”

Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
Ranked #74 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
“Good location-not much else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Apart from being a really good location, this was rather disappointing.

Shower was a nightmare! On average it was taking us about 5-10 mins to adjust the temp of the water!
Be warned, its a high step into the cubicle (partner bashed her knee a couple of times getting in and out!)

Carpets looked like they needed another going over with a hoover. Apartment was quite dull.

One night at a place like this is fine, wouldn't recommend a long stay. Luckily we didn't spend much time in the apartment as we were out exploring.

Have to mention staff were amazingly helpful and friendly.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Jubes 1471,
thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I'm sorry the apartment didn't meet your expectations. Your comments have been noted.
I have passed on to the Staff your comments about them.
Regards, Warren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Laguna Niguel, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel is centrally located on what looks like a dead end alley but there is a walk thru. It's located near a lot of trash bins and they pick up at 5:00 A.M. It is a smelly street. The room comes with a refridgerator which we had to unplug to get a good nights sleep because it is in the same room with you. If you have bad knees and hard to bend then this is not the place for you. The shower stall walls come up to my knees and it was hard for me to get into the shower. Bring your own bar soap , the soap they have is not good. The staff tho, I would rate a 10+ . They are extremely knowledgable and friendly. When it came time to leave the girl at the desk went up to the main street and hailed a taxi for us. I dont know if I would stay here again only because it is noisy .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Travelingkind,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We do have a great location, easy to walk almost everywhere.
Thank you for your comment about the staff,I'll definitely pass that on to them.
I was surprised to hear about the noise. Since the double glazing it has reduced the noise infiltration to the rooms considerably.
So glad that you enjoyed your visit to Sydney.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a one bedroom apartment on the 4th floor. We didn’t have any noise issues as the hotel is tucked away in a laneway (garbage truck did come one morning, but I didn’t hear it). It was clean and spacious. Front desk were helpful and arranged a private shuttle bus for us to the airport. It only cost a bit more than a shared shuttle but was worth it as they provided a child seat and we did not need to pick up other passengers along the way. My only gripe was the air conditioning. It did not turn up higher than 15C! So we had it off most of the time which was fine because it wasn’t that hot. The apartments are in a good location – short walk to Pitt St Mall and Westfield food court (level 5 has a great ruben sandwich), Circular Quay. The closest train stations are Wynyard and St James (Wynyard is probably closer) if you chose to take the train to the airport instead.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank starnite
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear starnite,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our accommodation to your satisfaction. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again at our door.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

In Sydney for business and stayed 2 nights. I was using the ferry, so very convenient to the Quay. I didn't take advantage of the kitchen at all, but will on future visits. This was a great value piece of accommodation in Sydney.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear desertmob,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We are very happy that you found our accommodation to your liking & satisfaction.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed for three nights for a conference nearby and loved having a lot of space to spread things out in a studio apartment.
The location:
It is within walking distance from St James train station (handy for the airport train) - no problems with luggage as it is flat on the pavement the entire route. Note that the Martin Place train station is NOT on the airport line. It is in a handy location to walk to Circular Quay as well as Darling Harbour, Chinatown and the shopping district (Westfield Centrepoint, QV building a bit further away, Pitt Street Mall). Thankfully I had read previous reviewer comments as the location is in a small laneway just a few steps away from Martin Place (ie. it is not on Martin Place).
The staff:
Very friendly and courteous, and were helpful when I was trying to find a shop that would repair my watch battery. 24hr swipe card access to the building so great security.
The room:
Like an apartment, the room was subdivided into different zones. There was a fully equipped kitchen (fridge, microwave, cooktop and oven) with utensils and crockery, a washing machine and dryer, a dining table (4 seats) and study desk, couch and coffee table, separate bedroom and bathroom. I was in Room 106 and both the lounge and bedroom areas opened out onto a large balcony which would have been good for entertaining (although the view was only of the laneway and its rubbish bins!). Climate control was easy to figure out. There was also an in-room safe. The room was neat and tidy although the paint work and some of the kitchen area looked a bit tired and dated. [The hallway from the lift smelt a bit stale, as if it needed more ventilation, but this was not a problem inside the room]. I was surprised by the bedroom - there is a large wardrobe area with 3 mirrored doors!
The facilities:
I didn't use any other facilities (eg. gym) as I had a hectic schedule. I didn't use the free wifi in the lobby but I was able to get a free wifi connection in my room - not sure if I was supposed to or not, or because I was on the first floor, but I used it anyway!
The minuses:
There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom and the water pressure from the bathroom sink faucet was quite poor. As others have noted, you have to take a large and high step to get into the shower (see picture). It was also weird that there no bed sheet as an underlayer to the duvet - there was the fitted sheet on the mattress and the duvet but nothing else. There wasn't an overabundance of powerpoints for charging but enough to get the job done.
Overall the minuses were fairly small and I enjoyed my stay here - particularly the location and the large size of the apartment - and I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear TashfromMelb,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We are happy that you were satisfied with our accommodation despite the few minuses.
We always appreciate comments from our guests and act upon them when we can.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

As other reviewers say entrance is not fancy at all, the building is quite old but the studio was great, with everything you need to live there. Full kitchen, washer/dryer, very roomy only the shower was uncomfortable (too low, you have to bend to wash your hair, if taller than 1.6 m). It was clean but they did not vacuum the carpet in the 6 days we stayed. Anyway very good price/quality relationship. WiFi free only available at lobby for 30´ every 24 hours, toherwise very expensive. I would like to make a campaign for free wi-fi in every hotel. If it is free in most caffes why not hotels?
I would definitively return

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Fernando 1806,
thank you for taking the time out to write your review.
We are very happy that you were satisified with our accommodation.
I apologise for the vacuuming not being done. You should have mentioned it during your stay so that we could have had a chance to rectify it.
We look forward to your next visit.
Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for five nights on business, as it was pre-paid I was not aware of the room rate. It's not actually located in Martin Place, but in a small laneway ( Hosking Place ) next to Martin Place but the end of the laneway exits onto Pitt Street
My room was on the 5th floor and had a well equipped kitchen with microwave, toaster ,full size fridge, crockery & cutlery as well as laundry with washing machine & dryer. Separate sitting room with table and lounge and bedroom with large double bed including in room safe operated by room swipe card.
Swipe card also used to gain access to property after hours
Large balcony outside bedroom unfortunately it faces an office building.
As other reviewers have mentioned this property is in a great location in the northern part of the CBD. Even the southern part of the CBD around Chinatown is only a leisurely 20 minute walk. Complimentary free wifi is available for guests in the lobby limited to 30 mins per day which was adequate for my purposes.
In room wifi is available at extra cost. My first night was hampered by an in-considerate loud group of guests who insisted on sitting on their balcony two floors above playing loud music and talking until 2.30am which didn't help my work performance the next day, thankfully they were gone the next day! The 5am garbage collection by a truck from somewhere nearby woke myself and all my work colleagues every day we were there. The only concern that I had was the combination bath/shower. For a reasonably fit 50+ male I was able to get into and out of the square bath/shower cubicle with no problem but I feel that this may not be the case for and older person or someone with mobility issues as the side wall of the cubicle is about 50cms in height (as the photo shows). Despite this minor issue I would definately recommend this property as a great place to stay in the centre of Sydney.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
warrenrj, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Mickact,
thank you for taking the time out for writing your review.
We are happy that you did enjoy your stay with us.
We are aware of the points you raised in your review.
I was surprised about the noise from garbage truck comment as we haven't had a complaint about that for a long time since we installed "double glazing"in all rooms.