“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient”

Ranked #24 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
OSHAWA
“Clean, Comfortable, Convenient”
Reviewed January 21, 2011

This is an upscale hotel located downtown a 5 minute walk from pier, ferries, excellent restaurants and Opera House. Part of hotel is a well-maintained, beautiful 1800's historic building with a modern hotel tower attached. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast in the Cafe Opera was extensive and complete with eggs made to order.

• Stayed January 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My girlfriend wanted to stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in Sydney b/c she had heard that the one in San Francisco was superb. This was not the case here. We were rudely awakened by the sound of hammering and drilling every morning from the construction that was going on the 25th floor. You would think that they would have the construction crew start later instead of at 7am when guest are still sleeping. When I asked customer service what was going on, she responded that there was construction going on and that she had asked them to start later. Unfortunately later was only 30 minutes later. I am disappointed she did not suggest moving us to another room. What poor service. This was also evident with the chief concierge, David [-]. When I had asked him directions on how to cross the harbor bridge, he then asked me if I had a map. Seriously? If I had a map, would I be asking him. I think Mr. [-] has been too complacent w/ his title of chief concierge. If anything, Phil should be the chief concierge. He was very thorough and helpful. Thank you Phil and Danny. They were two of the most helpful staff members.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
interconsydney, General Manager at InterContinental Sydney, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and please accept my apologies for noise disturbance. The hotel was undergoing maintenance which was scheduled to commenced at 7.30am. The tradesmen had been advised prior to commencing that no noise maintenance was to commence till after 8.30am, unfortunately this instruction was not followed. When we were alterted to the noise issue it ceased immediately.

With regards to instructions to cross the Harbour Bridge, our Concierge certainly did not mean to upset you. This is a general question as many, many people have their own maps when asking for directions. Again we are very sorry for any misunderstanding.

I do hope overall your stay with us and in Sydney was enjoyable.

Yours sincerely
Fred Matti
winchester
Reviewed January 18, 2011

This Intercon has well furnished comfortable rooms although the bathroom is a little small and old fashioned. We only stayed one night on our way home and skipped breakfast as we had lunch plans. Get a room with a view of the harbour, order a bottle of wine and turn the lights off! Great location by the Botanical Gardens just off Circular Quay and the blend of old with new building is very good.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for placing your review on Tripadvisor, it is always pleasing to know that our guests have had an enjoyable stay.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you again.

Fred Matti
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I stayed at the Interconti in Sydney with my wife and two year old child for 5 nights over New Year's as part of a wider trip through NSW. It was a tale of two halves. But let me start with the hotel itself. It is situated in near perfect location, a 5 minute stroll from Circular Quay. Full marks here. The rooms are modern and very nice. In fact, one of the reasons we chose the hotel is because many other similar hotels in Sydney have smaller rooms, and we needed a little extra space for the baby cot. The bar and restaurants are also beautiful, combining old and new well in a very stylish surrounding. During the first half of our stay, the hotel let itself down on service. Despite charging exorbitant room rates over New Year's (understandably, given the demand to experience New Year's eve in Sydney), hotel staff seemed overwhelmed and stretched during this period. When we arrived, there was no baby cot in the room, although I had twice requested it, including via email with a senior reservations rep. Breakfast service seemed rushed (we were greeted on our first morning with the remark that the buffet closes in "half a minute") and - even more remarkable for a hotel chain whose current PR campaign is centred on its concierge service - this was average at best (my wife was told by the concierge to walk over to the Etch restaurant, which is based in the hotel, to enquire whether it was open on New Year's Day). Things perked up after January 1, and we had moments of excellent service in both the bar and the Opera restaurant. This was however more than offset by what can only be described as a below-average dinner and an utterly overwhelmed kitchen management at Opera on our last evening.

In summary: The hotel gets a lot of things right (as it should for a hotel of this brand and category), but lets itself down on some key areas. It especially needs to improve the consistency of its service. Given strong competition in Sydney in the 5-star category, the experience of our current stay was not good enough for a return visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
poole
Reviewed January 14, 2011

stayed here for christmas 6 nights in total in a club room room fine check in staff great club room staff need more training the hotel is in an old building and we expected it not to be as swish as some intercons but staff training can be done anywhere. the room was fine but overall it just did not have it

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
England
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed here as part of a wider holiday to Australia. Check-in was efficient and professional, with the porters addressing us by name, having picked up our name from our frequent flyer bag tags. As an IC Gold Ambassador, we were upgraded to a room with a better view, which was lovely. Whilst the twin room was fine and had recently been refurbished, the bathroom was not, and didn't have a walk-in shower (none of the standard rooms in the hotel do). Furthermore, the bathroom drawers were chipped, the sink stained, the toilet flush cracked and mould was around the base of the tiles by the bath. We called won to reception who offered to show us another room, however the condition of the bathroom was exactly the same. Shortly, the duty manager arrived and showed us a corner suite (fantastic - with hall, cloakroom, living room, bedroom and bathroom with walk in shower, and in much better condition). We accepted this room for a 50% reduction in upgrade price - the view was spectacular of the harbour bridge and opera house. The Club lounge view was staggering, and breakfast selection excellent. There was one waiter on our first evening who was a bit rude as we tried to access the club with our keycard that wouldn't work for some reason - he practically accused us of trying to gain access when we weren't entitled... Apart from that, the rest of the serve was excellent. There is a paid-for menu in the Club lounge after canapes which is a tad confusing for those accustomed to all Club lounges being free! The public areas of the hotel are very nicely appointed. One small gripe - mineral water was not replenished daily and fruit bowl was not awaiting on arrival in our room. Apart from this and the minor gripes about one waiter in the Club lounge and the standard room bathrooms, the hotel is excellent.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix
Reviewed January 12, 2011

My stay at this hotel was very good. I booked a Bay View Room on Priceline and it was in my price range. I am not a frequent traveller and I don't rack up a lot of points so I am never upgraded, but that's ok with me.

The room was clean and comfortable. I was on the 17th floor, if I remember correctly and I was not bothered by any traffic noise from the expressway below. This was in part due to a low hum coming from the air conditioner. I like to sleep with consistant white noise so it was okay. I was in room 1707 and was one off from the elevator bay, If you are in room 06 or 05 you might be bothered by elevator noise. The elevaor bay runs east/west.

I liked that they have a power converter in the room and I will add my voice to the chorus of those demanding free wi-fi.

All in all, a great location. Personally, I would not spend the money for the Harbor View, but I would not say no if they wanted to upgrade me.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo